Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ] 
Tempest
Post subject: Conversion Battlecruiser, Ersatz A. As a Freight and Passenger ShipPosted: October 29th, 2019, 8:51 pm
I've never drawn a freighter or passenger ship before but I have found the conversion of the incomplete battleship Mackensen and interesting idea.

The WIP is very preliminary but I've wanted to share the idea.

[ img ]

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Conversion Battlecruiser, Ersatz A. As a Freight and Passenger ShipPosted: October 29th, 2019, 10:05 pm
Indeed an interesting concept. The amount of excess steel from the armour removed from the ship's hull is probably enough to build a small freighter .
One thing. is that I think that the overhang at the stern is redundant , as it has no structural function on the old battleship hull.
I also think that the funnel's position is too much towards the after end of the ship considering the original location of the boilers in the original battleship hull. I also think that a ship of this size will make a very nice transatlantic liner, with at least two funnels, more than a combi passenger-cargo ship with just the one single funnel.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Conversion Battlecruiser, Ersatz A. As a Freight and Passenger ShipPosted: October 29th, 2019, 11:48 pm
Hi Tempest,

Yes if you are watching/looking the history, this design can approach some incomplete BB's reals projects:

- German projects (Sachsen/Wurttemberg, Mackensen, Ersatz Freya)...mainly 1919-1921 civilian conversion projects !!! :geek:

- Russian (probable attemps to convert battlecruiser IZMAIL around 1919-1925 ?)

- French (highly probable civilian conversion projects on the Normandie class battleships : Flandre, Gascogne, Normandie, Languedoc around 1919-1922). I am still searching it !!! :?: :oops: :ugeek:

- Unlikely U.S American projects about USS South-Dakota (BB 49-54s) class and USS Lexington class (CB 01-06s) ???.

- Maybe few British very :oops: :ugeek:early post-wars thinking about HMS Rodney & HMS Howe (HMS Hood class) around 1916-1920 :?:

- Italian (1919-1921 civilian project conversion from battleship Francesco Caracciolo)
[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs”

Jump to: