Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ] 
dalamace
Post subject: American Never-Built DestroyersPosted: February 20th, 2020, 6:01 pm
Hello,

Making the destroyer S-511-51, an American never-built warship designed in 10 March 1942 armed with twin 5-inch guns and a pair of quintuple torpedo launchers. It is a preliminary design that would eventually lead to the Allen M. Somner class destroyer.

[ img ]

Thank You

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: American Never-Built DestroyersPosted: February 21st, 2020, 12:44 am
Very nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: American Never-Built DestroyersPosted: February 21st, 2020, 9:48 am
Very nice, good to see more of these early designs.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Graham1973
Post subject: Re: American Never-Built DestroyersPosted: March 25th, 2020, 1:27 pm
Very nice, where did you find the design?

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: American Never-Built DestroyersPosted: March 25th, 2020, 2:15 pm
The drawing is provided in Sumrall's Sumner-Gearing-Class Destroyers, a book which I can heartily recommend (although it is not quite so insightful as Friedman's works, its scope is narrower and more precise).

A quibble: I think that by the time SG waveguide issues had been sorted out, SC would be an unlikely air search fit. I welcome Colosseum's correction on this :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: American Never-Built DestroyersPosted: March 25th, 2020, 2:29 pm
It all depends on "when" this ship is supposedly launched - for one thing, Measure 15 was long out of use by the time the Sumner and Gearing class ships were coming online. I think a more realistic radar fit is probably the standard SC-2 and SG on the foremast for these ships as Erik calls out. Camouflage would be a Measure 31/32/33 variant, Measure 21, or Measure 22 (depending on fleet assignment and date in service - dazzle schemes were generally painted out by Dec 44).

This is the issue with trying to draw these prelim designs. Do we draw the "as designed" fit, and leave the date off, or do we try to draw the prelim design as it would have appeared in service? Obviously this is up to the author.

[Profile] [Quote]
dalamace
Post subject: Re: American Never-Built DestroyersPosted: March 26th, 2020, 2:01 am
Hello,

Re: Graham1973, I found it in Spring Style Book as released by the USN Bureau of Ships.

As for the erik_t and Colo, I will admit that to say that I use a smidgen of artistic license and "fun" which I is kind of a bad approach now that I think about it. I think this drawing was especially poor form in my opinion with all the anachronisms... Sorry!

This one should be mildly better:

[ img ]

The 1942 design was largely because this design was created in 1942... although even with American industries, BuShip would be hardpressed to make a destroyer within a single day...

Thank You

Last edited by dalamace on March 26th, 2020, 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: American Never-Built DestroyersPosted: March 26th, 2020, 2:36 am
Looks great!

[Profile] [Quote]
ptdockyard
Post subject: Re: American Never-Built DestroyersPosted: April 12th, 2020, 2:01 pm
I for one love the Measure 15 scheme and have used it on several 1/1200 models up to a what if USN 1935 Battleship Scheme C.

I say show them in an "As Used" configuration, especially with some artistic license!

Dave G

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: American Never-Built DestroyersPosted: April 12th, 2020, 5:30 pm
Interesting addition.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs”

Jump to: