Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 
Karle94
Post subject: Lyon Class: French Super-DreadnoughtsPosted: May 17th, 2020, 5:08 am
Whilst watching the new 6 minute guide video released by Drach concerning the Lyon class he showed some good line drawings that I Prt Screened for my own nefarious purposes, namely the Austrio-Hungarian AU concerning the Mediterranean. Whilst my AU version will be the hypothetical 15in gun version, this one is the chosen design that was cancelled in 1914 with the outbreak of WWI.

at 195,4m long, and 29m wide, the Lyon class would have displaced 29600 tons. Heavily influenced by the preceeding Normandie class, it is essentially a stretched Normandie with a fourth quad turret of guns of 340mm (13,4in). One superfiring pair aft, one amidships and one fore, although some sources say, namely the Journal of United States Artillery suggest two superfiring pairs. The secondary battery consisted of 24x5,5 inch guns with four groupings of three casemates, and two 47mm AA guns. Six underwater broadside torpedo tubes rounds out the arnament.
The armor belt was to be 11,8in thick, with either 42mm or 70mm deck armor. The gun faces were 11,8in thick. The ships were rated for 21kt top speed, with proposals for either mixed turbine-vte engine layout or an all-turbine layout.

Construction was to start in 1915 and four ships were planned: the Lyon, Duquesne, Lille, and Tourville. All four ships along with the five Normandies were cancelled with the outbreak of WWI.

Lyon class as designed in 1913:
[ img ]

As for the paint scheme, I based it off of colorized pictures where the French ships are mid-bluish gray. The turrets are based on an image of the Bretagne class where the turrets did not appear really dark gray, but a purple-ish-bluish dark gray.

Last edited by Karle94 on October 15th, 2020, 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Lyon Class: French Super-DreadnoughtsPosted: May 17th, 2020, 5:16 am
Awesome work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Lyon Class: French Super-DreadnoughtsPosted: May 17th, 2020, 9:06 am
Impressive.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Lyon Class: French Super-DreadnoughtsPosted: October 15th, 2020, 1:14 am
I've updated the drawing with a more accurate anti-fouling color.

[Profile] [Quote]
that_person
Post subject: Re: Lyon Class: French Super-DreadnoughtsPosted: October 17th, 2020, 5:31 pm
Would love to see a modernized version of these. 16x14" guns... that is a lot of firepower

[Profile] [Quote]
Cplnew83
Post subject: Re: Lyon Class: French Super-DreadnoughtsPosted: October 28th, 2020, 11:52 am
Karle94 wrote: *
As for the paint scheme, I based it off of colorized pictures where the French ships are mid-bluish gray. The turrets are based on an image of the Bretagne class where the turrets did not appear really dark gray, but a purple-ish-bluish dark gray.
In peace time the turret where painted like the superstructure.
As this paint was said fire-prone, the barrels and the turrets were stripped of the paint and a mix of coal powder and grease was applied to protect the steel from rust.
(Source : "Les cuirassés de 23500 tonnes" by Jean Dumas)

Worklist, FD scale submarines and ships :
- Project 971 "Akula" (80%)
- Project 705 "Alpha" (10%)
- Project 371 (70%)
- Project 1459 (30%)
- Projekt 151 Sassnitz (To be redone)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs”

Jump to: