Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ] 
that_person
Post subject: Iowa-class Fireworks Refit (1972-1977)Posted: September 17th, 2020, 7:21 pm
Hello, recently I have started working with Acelanceloet on an old proposal from the 1970s. When Iowa's were recommissioned there were several proposals that were examined and ultimately scrapped, among these is the little known "Alternative 4". Alternative 4 was to be a massive change to Iowa's, it involved removing ALL the 16" AND 5" guns, and replacing all with 424 VLS cells. While very little is known about this proposal, what we managed to work out was that all the VLS would be placed in the extended aft superstructure, with 3 x 61 VLS and 1 x 29 VLS on each side. Phalanx and SH-60's were to be present as they would have entered service in the 1980s. Ultimately this proposal was dropped for numerous reasons, mainly because the cost of refitting them would be equivalent to building a new Nimitz-class carrier, and the Marine Corps was not happy about losing the big guns to Tomahawks. It is also interesting to note, there was also an AEGIS version planned, known as Alternative 4A. While I can not guarantee this drawing is accurate, it does display maintains all the major modifications. I would also like to say a big thank you to Acelanceloet for all his help and support. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png
(Open link for image)

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Iowa-class Fireworks Refit (1972-1977)Posted: September 17th, 2020, 9:05 pm
How peculiar. Nice drawing, though!

Please trade out the ancient SLQ-32 for the updated rendering, though :)

[Profile] [Quote]
that_person
Post subject: Re: Iowa-class Fireworks Refit (1972-1977)Posted: September 17th, 2020, 9:19 pm
Updated the SLQ-32

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Iowa-class Fireworks Refit (1972-1977)Posted: September 18th, 2020, 9:04 am
Welcome aboard.

Looks very interesting, you can see why it was a non-starter as an idea, but its certainly one of the many interesting proposals for the Iowas.
I must admit I am surprised there is little self-protection capability beyond the Phalanx.
Not really sure why you would have needed so many cruise-missiles in the 1970s period, it feels a very unbalanced load-out but I guess this is the ancestor of the 'arsenal ship' concept.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs”

Jump to: