[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 6  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6
whitey_nl
Post subject: Re: Dominion of Newfoundland and LabradorPosted: July 9th, 2018, 4:42 pm
Thanks one and all again for feedback. It helps me get through the slog. I'm back once again with a new, not frigate!, vessel. I've also updated my front page to make a more central list of my final AU ships.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the RNFN worked on it's fleet modernization scheme, with new frigates, patrol vessels, and auxiliaries; it was determined that the fleet needed a new amphibious support vessel to replace the older LSLs/LSTs in service. Newfoundland, being an island off the mainland of Labrador, and itself comprised of dozens of inhabited islands; needed a vessel that would allow the RNFN to transport Marine and regular infantry units to reinforce or defend other units. As well, the fleet also needed a vessel capable of supporting humanitarian and disaster relief operations as well.

[ img ]
HMNFS William Amherst, 2009

The end result, was the William Amherst. She was designed and built by the same shipbuilders as the Labrador support-ship, and replicated much of the design where possible. Utilizing the same hull pattern, it was amended to allow the vessel to use a transport deck with three access ports (two to either side and one on the stern) to allow the fleet to transport either a reinforced mechanized company, or a foot infantry battalion. She was intended to serve a similar capacity for the RNFN as the Canterbury did for the RNZN. Whilst not fast, as she retained the single-screw arrangement from her half-sister, she had an additional bow thruster added to improve her maneuverability. She was fitted with a large landing deck and hangar to land and support Chinook helicopters, in addition to the standard helos of the RNFAF. Two LCVP were also added to allow for greater flexibility.

However, these ships were more for strategic sea-lift than to make contested landings, and were only armed for self-defence with a single 30mm and Phalanx CIWS.

While not deemed the most effective of its type, it was considered successful despite some of it's more glaring shortfalls. Primarily its' speed, handling, and sea-keeping, which left much to be desired. It's size and poor handling dramatically limited what ports and harbours it could call on, scaling back significantly how many parts of the country it could dock and land it's contents. However, as with most RNFN ships, she has come into her own and continues to serve the fleet, NATO, and UN humanitarian operations, with gusto.

My first amphib. I tried to be reasonable and use the same hull I used before, and kind of make a cross between the Canterbury and the Albion. I hope it worked. All feedback really welcome as I'm sure there can be improvements made.

Last edited by whitey_nl on July 11th, 2018, 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Dominion of Newfoundland and LabradorPosted: July 10th, 2018, 7:49 am
Looks an interesting design.
I the layout looks good but I wonder if it wouldn't be a little cramped, but it looks fairly reasonable for a low-end ship, that as you say is more for sealift than an assault platform.
One minor point, you might want to move the liferafts above the LCVP as I'm not sure they'll be much use there.

Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
whitey_nl
Post subject: Re: Dominion of Newfoundland and LabradorPosted: July 10th, 2018, 10:58 am
Hood wrote: *
One minor point, you might want to move the liferafts above the LCVP as I'm not sure they'll be much use there.
Ha. Fair point. Fixed!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Dominion of Newfoundland and LabradorPosted: July 10th, 2018, 12:56 pm
Only 2 minor comments: we have better looking LCVP's and vehicle doors drawn in shipbucket :P Other then that, looking very good!

[Profile] [Quote]
whitey_nl
Post subject: Re: Dominion of Newfoundland and LabradorPosted: July 11th, 2018, 1:26 am
acelanceloet wrote: *
Only 2 minor comments: we have better looking LCVP's and vehicle doors drawn in shipbucket :P Other then that, looking very good!
Got me on the LCVP. Have it updated. I didn't think the door looked too out of place though. I'd happily consider a better fitting alternative though, if pointed in the right direction.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 6  [ 55 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6

Jump to: