Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 16 of 24  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page « 114 15 16 17 1824 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: July 21st, 2011, 4:09 pm
I can't remember the exact specs, but I think the prposed light battleship weighed in at some 60K+ tons.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: July 21st, 2011, 4:12 pm
Wow, that certainly is a stretch of the term 'light'...

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: July 21st, 2011, 5:33 pm
60,000 tons. That`s Yamato, Montana and Sovetsky Soyuz size.

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: July 21st, 2011, 6:50 pm
Thiel wrote:
The Soviets did in fact consider building new battleships postwar.
Sorry, I should have said that I was talking about Britain. It was held in Britain that battleships were in the past :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: July 21st, 2011, 7:11 pm
If you guys want to shoot the breeze about your own fantasies, then have the courtesy to create your own topic, instead of hijacking this one. I don't want to see anymore speculative musings here - you should only be responding to designs we've already posted.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: July 21st, 2011, 8:05 pm
A few drawings to keep this thread on track!

Our AU Fearless Class LPDs.
[ img ]
HMS Fearless is completed with two twin semi-auto 40mm Bofors mounts and two Sea Cat SAM launchers.

[ img ]
HMS Intrepid is completed as OTL with four Sea Cat as the Admiralty begin to favour the missile over the gun for point-defence but with one MRS-3 added.

[ img ]
A third ship is built, orginally planned to be an identical ship to her two sisters, HMS Indomitable was lengthened to increase her troop capacity and dock size. She was fitted with two Sea Cat launchers with MRS-3 fire-control and two new model automatic 40mm Bofors mounts with MRS-8 director. RAF Harriers were often flown from her decks during Exercises of Norway as air support for the Marines' Wessex helicopters.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: July 21st, 2011, 9:30 pm
Damn... I love HMS Fearless. Very pretty ship. What's the larger heli?

(sorry for the derail btw)

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: July 21st, 2011, 11:14 pm
barnest2 wrote:
Damn... I love HMS Fearless. Very pretty ship. What's the larger heli?

(sorry for the derail btw)
Larger heli is the Westland Westminster, a large cargo and troop transport helicopter, designed with single main 5-blade rotor and gearbox from Sikorsky S-56, as well as the tail wheel. Able to carry 40 troops, it was flight tested in late 1958, but was abandoned.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
knut 75
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: July 22nd, 2011, 11:19 am
Portland Bill
Many apologies. I only suggested posssible designs from published sources that
I thought were of interest to the theme of your build. I will of course now observe
your instruction and stick to comments on your posted designs
Hood
The drawings of the three Fearless ships are excellent. Can I ask a couple of questions?
Are the numbers of LPD in your AU related to the number of Commando Ships and other
amphibious craft? Why 3 Fearless rather than 2 or 4 ?
Armament seems odd. The 4 Seacat launchers on the real ships seem better distributed.
Did you have any sources for altering the AA guns or is that just fantasy?
Did the RN ever consider the Westminster? In real life Whirlwinds gave way to Wessexes
and Chinooks were never considered by the RN except for ASW. Fun fantasy?
I hope I have not overstepped PB's strictures. My questions are meant positively.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: July 22nd, 2011, 4:53 pm
Whilst on an amphibious note.We have the BHC SRN4 and SRN6 hovercraft.Taken up from trade(stuft) in times of crisis from their former operators Seaspeed and Hoverlloyd.Most likely role would have been to rapidly re-inforce the BAOR across the channel.The larger is the stretched SRN4 formerly Princess Anne and Princess Margret.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 16 of 24  [ 236 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 114 15 16 17 1824 »

Jump to: