Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 
dalamace
Post subject: Ship Shape Wargaming Fashion: WOWS RedesignsPosted: June 11th, 2022, 10:27 am
Hello everyone.

After thinking a fair bit, I decided to do a redesign of one of my favourite ships in the game World of Warships, which is infamous for its... questionable ship designs.

So here is the Zao, a ship that I found to be rather odd in game with its generally not Japanese layout. I admit I am not very good at Japanese ships (both my knowledge of them and drawing them) so I appreciate any comments and criticisms to improve it.

[ img ]

Another design is the Henri IV, enlarged and turned into a cruiser killer of sort, partly as a counter to what I think will be greater Italian threats. It is still armed with the mystical 240mm guns that I have no clue come from and have a general more "Frenchiness" to it.

[ img ]

And here is the Venezia, a cruiser to kill a cruiser killer. A cruiser killer killer. It is armed with 253mm guns and based vaguely on designs that was apparently pitched to the Soviet Union.

[ img ]

Also I just realised that there is no alternate universe per se but I do want to keep it in the spirit of Furashita's Fleet, one of my all time favourite website and part of the reason why I made these. Most of these do not pertain to any specific scenarios other than a vague handwave of the age old problem of industry, time, and budget. Silly things.

You can argue that it should be in personal designs... and I will probably agree with you. Lore soon (it will never come).

Thank You!

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Ship Shape Wargaming Fashion: WOWS RedesignsPosted: June 25th, 2022, 5:35 am
Awesome work! Any plans for some German ships like FdG?

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Ship Shape Wargaming Fashion: WOWS RedesignsPosted: June 25th, 2022, 1:54 pm
Nice stuff, cannot wait to see more. WoWS has many questionable designs that deserve another take.

[Profile] [Quote]
dalamace
Post subject: Re: Ship Shape Wargaming Fashion: WOWS RedesignsPosted: June 27th, 2022, 4:40 pm
emperor_andreas wrote: *
Awesome work! Any plans for some German ships like FdG?
German ships will be in the pipeline soon once I get around to it, and they'll be my take on the cruisers.

But for now, my take on the USS Dallas, which have been equipped with a trio of triple guns instead of the awkward setup and a more believable (imo anyway) superstructure. Torpedoes too! I might make a variant for the Omaha.

[ img ]

Thank you!

[Profile] [Quote]
Alterna Historia
Post subject: Re: Ship Shape Wargaming Fashion: WOWS RedesignsPosted: June 27th, 2022, 10:43 pm
dalamace wrote: *

German ships will be in the pipeline soon once I get around to it, and they'll be my take on the cruisers.

But for now, my take on the USS Dallas, which have been equipped with a trio of triple guns instead of the awkward setup and a more believable (imo anyway) superstructure. Torpedoes too! I might make a variant for the Omaha.

<snip>

Thank you!
Very nice work! Personally, I think the design of the Dallas is a little silly: Pensacola-class turrets... with 6-inch guns!?

- Yamato on Graf Spee's hull plan
- Giant cruiseferry powered by nuclear engines... what could go wrong?

[Profile] [Quote]
dalamace
Post subject: Re: Ship Shape Wargaming Fashion: WOWS RedesignsPosted: June 29th, 2022, 8:58 am
Alterna Historia wrote: *
Very nice work! Personally, I think the design of the Dallas is a little silly: Pensacola-class turrets... with 6-inch guns!?
The Dallas have triple 6" turrets from the Brooklyn, St Louis and Cleveland class ships. While it is a little silly regarding its design as it is heavily overloaded, any armaments have been used in real life.

[Profile] [Quote]
Alterna Historia
Post subject: Re: Ship Shape Wargaming Fashion: WOWS RedesignsPosted: June 29th, 2022, 3:13 pm
dalamace wrote: *

The Dallas have triple 6" turrets from the Brooklyn, St Louis and Cleveland class ships. While it is a little silly regarding its design as it is heavily overloaded, any armaments have been used in real life.
Oh, sorry for not making that understandable. I meant the layout of the turrets is like the Pensacola-class

- Yamato on Graf Spee's hull plan
- Giant cruiseferry powered by nuclear engines... what could go wrong?

[Profile] [Quote]
dalamace
Post subject: Re: Ship Shape Wargaming Fashion: WOWS RedesignsPosted: June 29th, 2022, 8:15 pm
Alterna Historia wrote: *
Oh, sorry for not making that understandable. I meant the layout of the turrets is like the Pensacola-class
It's not an unconventional layout. The USN wanted a smaller ship with lower displacement, so they decrease armaments, armour, and tries to make as compact ship as possible. This include just three triple turrets, hence a "traditional USN heavy cruiser layout" like the contemporary New Orleans, Wichita, and Baltimore.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs”

Jump to: