Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 15 of 24  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page « 113 14 15 16 1724 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: July 19th, 2011, 2:09 pm
knut 75 wrote:
I got cut off my my computer. Here are my suggestions again, with more sensible layout

Nuclear RFA 1960s based on either Resource or Olna class large vessel. I like the Savannah
style housing and have seen UKAEA drawings of merchant ships to this design. RFAs in the 60s
were designed to merchant standards so this would fit your navy as a carrier support ship
I'm not really sure the Savannah is a good starting point. She was designed to look good and this resulted in a lot of awkwardly shaped rooms and a shit-load of unfortunate void-spaces that would be a real head ache for a damage control team.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: July 20th, 2011, 5:43 pm
I can't speak for my fellow admirals of the GFL but personally I can't see a nuclear powered RFA when we have no nuclear powered surface ships to supply.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: July 20th, 2011, 6:45 pm
Didn't the RN look into nuclear powered surface ships at one point? The acronym NIGS comes to mind, though its meaning and context escapes me.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: July 20th, 2011, 9:51 pm
Thiel wrote:
Didn't the RN look into nuclear powered surface ships at one point? The acronym NIGS comes to mind, though its meaning and context escapes me.
IIRC the NIGS was an AA missile to replace Sea Slug (NIGS stan for New Naval Guided Weapons System)
It was a semi-active homing dart which after some long design work was eventually evolved into Sea Dart (which is a much smaller missile). To carry NIGS to sea a new large surface ship was proposed, using both steam plant and a niclear plant or just neclear plant, but NIGS refered to the weapon and not the ship.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: July 20th, 2011, 10:22 pm
That explains it. I knew I'd read that in connection with a proposed nuclear ship.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: July 21st, 2011, 7:09 am
Quote:
I can't speak for my fellow admirals of the GFL but personally I can't see a nuclear powered RFA when we have no nuclear powered surface ships to supply.
Well...........I think Hood has something 'up his sleeve' :D

[Profile] [Quote]
knut 75
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: July 21st, 2011, 1:53 pm
I have taken another look at the nuclear powered RFA proposed in 1960.
In essence it amounts to RFA Olna with nuclear power. Apart from removing
the funnel I don't think the nuclear version would have been much different.

The political controversy and complexity of operating such a ship killed it stone
dead. So no need for a shipbucket after all!

One class of ship I have always liked were the G3 and N3 battlecruisers and battleships
cancelled in 1921. If instead of the two Rodneys and the King George V class the Royal Navy had built 8 ships based on this design (perhaps a Battleship version but with 16" rather than 18" guns)
and given them the same names, the Post War Royal Navy would have had some interesting ships
left over for conversions?

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: July 21st, 2011, 2:25 pm
knut 75 wrote:
and given them the same names, the Post War Royal Navy would have had some interesting ships
left over for conversions?
There was no way we were going to do any conversions though. The ships were too old, and it was held at that point that carriers were the future and it was near pointless to build battleships or even operate them any-more.

The Americans were the only ones considering conversions, and then only because they had too much money and needed a couple more hulls.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: July 21st, 2011, 3:38 pm
The Soviets did in fact consider building new battleships postwar.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: The Alternative Postwar Royal NavyPosted: July 21st, 2011, 3:44 pm
EXAMPLE: K-1000 Suyuz

[Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 15 of 24  [ 236 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 113 14 15 16 1724 »

Jump to: