Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 15 of 22  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page « 113 14 15 16 1722 »
Novice
Post subject: Re: John Company - From India to the worldPosted: November 26th, 2012, 9:57 pm
barnest2 wrote:
I just realised how big a change the 90's refit really is. New gun, new missiles, changed aa missiles, extended hanger, added torpedoes, changed decoys, rebuilt masts with new radars, new directors, even new sonar...
Bloody hell :P
Build a completely new ship instead ...

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: John Company - From India to the worldPosted: November 27th, 2012, 10:44 am
But they have all these lovely hulls lying around, and after only a decade and a half... I think the company would rather stick with what it knows...

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: John Company - From India to the worldPosted: November 27th, 2012, 12:34 pm
That may be the case, but they wouldn't pu p that much money into them.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: John Company - From India to the worldPosted: November 27th, 2012, 1:55 pm
Hmm... perhaps we should tone down the refit a little...
Trojan (assuming you're reading this) Can you change the refit? Go back to the old sonar, the old gun, scrap the torpedoes perhaps...

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: John Company - From India to the worldPosted: November 27th, 2012, 2:42 pm
I'd stick with the old gun and it's director since you're not in the business of bombarding anyone on shore and the TAK-120 isn't really going to improve your AA performance all that much. I'd also stick with the same sonar since it's a really big ticket item to replace and instead I'd upgrade the computers behind it. Same thing with the LW-02, though if you insists I'd go with a rather less expensive replacement.
I agree that you need to replace the SeaCat, in fact I'd do that in 1980, though I'm not sure I'd go for NSSM. Given the life expectancies of these ships I'd go for a bolt on CIWS system instead since they're easy to pull of and put on new ships once these are decommissioned. The result is going to be rather less than optimal, but then that's the story of most navies in a nutshell.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: John Company - From India to the worldPosted: November 27th, 2012, 3:25 pm
I didn't realize I replaced the sonar. From what I can tell the modernized versions have actually lost a sonar dome compared to the orginal which isn't good either (I might have to double check this). If the forward sonar on the commissioned is different from the sonar on the modernized versions I will make sure to change that. What would be a more I expensive replacement for the lw-02? Can I replace the 4.5in with a 76mm Oto because I fe like the 4.5in would be pretty outdated by the mod 90s when this ship is gonna be staying in service for another ten years I believe. I'm ok with replacing NSSM which phalanx but barnest is it ok if we keep the current modernizations as never builts?

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: John Company - From India to the worldPosted: November 27th, 2012, 3:27 pm
Yeah, keep them to one side, I'll find a place for them :D I'll probably do a post on the future frigate contest at some point...

[Profile] [Quote]
HMS Sophia
Post subject: Re: John Company - From India to the worldPosted: November 30th, 2012, 9:13 pm
Hey guys, just a heads up. I've just got a full time job, so my posting rate is going to plummet.
Trojan, I would love it if you would like to keep working on this project. I'll keep an eye, write the background and have ideas, but I simply don't have time to draw anymore. You could also get some practice drawing earlier ships? hint, hint...
But yeah, I'll be around but not drawing. I hope I'll find time eventually though :P
So see you around guys :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: John Company - From India to the worldPosted: November 30th, 2012, 11:06 pm
Congratulations for the start of your employment.
Up to now this thread was interesting, and I still hope to see the merchant ships here, armed or not, this should be interesting.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: John Company - From India to the worldPosted: December 9th, 2012, 5:32 am
Here is John Company's Leander replacement, a modified Floreal class from France [ img ]
It is still WIP so credits and name have not be changed.
I have replaced the ships boats with RHIBs, one on each side, added an Oto Melara 76mm, added a SeaRam which can be replaced by Phalanx if the latter is preferred, a typhoon gun system aft, four Exocets M40) Sea Scorpion stinger launcher, mini typhoons one on each side, torpedo tubes, and Gau-16s, Mk.19, and Browning 50 cals are also shown and carried. I also added a WM-2X to direct the gun as well as TACAN. Does anyone know of a good radar I could use to replace the main (largest one) one used on the Floreal. As always, all comments and advice is very much appreciated, and the updated Leanders should hopefully be up tomorrow.

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 15 of 22  [ 211 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 113 14 15 16 1722 »

Jump to: