Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 9 of 43  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page « 17 8 9 10 1143 »
Chris Roach
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: November 16th, 2010, 5:15 am
Satirius wrote:
hey colo can I borrow your webley I have some depression right now
Could use a hell of a lot of work but that doesn't look like a too absurd design by NationStates standards.

For absurd, why not try the following offerings from the AH.com Alternate Weapons of War Thread:
[ img ]
According to the designer:
USS Independence
Max Speed: 70 knots
Detection: 2 RADAR, 1 SONAR
Crew: 50
Aircraft Compliment: 14 drone fighters, 2 drone ASW helicopters
Armament: 18 Mistral launchers, 8 Sea Sparrow, 8 Tomahawk, 16 130 mm guns
:roll:

[ img ]
Utterly f***ing bonkers design. I mean you've got an OTL yankee pre-dread hull; a helo (no hanger for protection from the weather and maintenance...); single German 11 inch triple turret; three French Crotale SAM systems; launchers for both Italian and Swedish Anti-ship missiles; a Russian CIWS... and none of the radar or fire control equipment required to support ANY OF THOSE F***ING SYSTEMS.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: November 16th, 2010, 7:35 am
Thanks :D Something to chuckle over while scrapping ice off my car; and it makes us realise that some of the stuff posted here isn't that bad

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: November 16th, 2010, 8:28 am
Well I decided to go through that thread - yes, all 177 pages of it - and what's really surprising is that there are actually a few flashes of imagination in there. You've got some people with quite a bit of talent actually and some interesting mecha and fantasy designs and a few interesting gun sketches too. What's really interesting is that some guy actually tried his hand at some very realistic spaceships:

http://www.alternatehistory.com/discuss ... count=2589
http://www.alternatehistory.com/discuss ... count=2526
http://www.alternatehistory.com/discuss ... count=2513
http://www.alternatehistory.com/discuss ... count=2511
http://www.alternatehistory.com/discuss ... count=2634
http://www.alternatehistory.com/discuss ... count=3522
http://www.alternatehistory.com/discuss ... count=3138
http://www.alternatehistory.com/discuss ... count=3136
http://www.alternatehistory.com/discuss ... count=3034
http://www.alternatehistory.com/discuss ... count=2771

I might make sure that the guy behind the "Atomic Rockets of the Space Patrol" site is made aware of this.

Like I said, actually quite a few flashes of imagination in there, but for the most part, everything is either poorly drawn, outright forgettable, generic, and uninspired, or outright stolen/re-purposed from other sources. Oh, and there are some real gems in there too. These are but a few that I spotted (and not even the most egregious ones, just ones that I thought were most...interesting)

For the most part they really do speak for themselves, presented without comment, like:

[ img ]

and

[ img ]

and

[ img ]

and

[ img ]

and

[ img ]

Now here's where it gets complex my lovelies:

This fellow wanted basically an improved QEII carrier made from carbon composites, but on top of that he had to add the most redundant and retarded structure I have yet seen on a carrier minus superfluous gun turrets:

[ img ]

This ship has a few problems here and there, except its biggest one is that it's a Somali pirate ship

[ img ]

Here's an ELV, and while nothing wrong with it I just look at it and thing "resource sponge":

[ img ]

Here's a land battleship that reminds me of one of those Russian dolls...missiles inside missiles inside missiles....

[ img ]

And I present to you this Jean Bart (yes, it's meant to be the same exact battleship)

[ img ]

and along the same vein, HMS Vanguard

[ img ]

And someone did an illustrated history of the 1949-era battleship USS JUSTICE (really inspiring name there, too). I have to say the style is somewhat...familiar:

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Someone saw some of Psilander's ships and requested a NS-type armored cruiser in that style. Unfortunately, the results may make Psilander weep:

[ img ]

Can we say, epic bad?

Guns? Missiles? Disparate eras? No problem!

[ img ]

Brought to you by the same person responsible for the Russian Doll Missiles, this is apparently something that belongs in someone's delusional Halo fanfiction (their admission, not mine) and speaks for itself, except that it's meant to be deployed by spaceships:

[ img ]

And he also gives us a submarine with thrust-vectoring and underwater lasers

[ img ]

Oh look he even has ground forces!

[ img ]

And his interpretation of a guided-missile battleship circa 2060:

[ img ]

and a Halo-era seagoing corvette deployed from space:

[ img ]

This one is actually a nice effort, but still on crack:

[ img ]

And now we finally hit the real noob parade. This one's so good I really have to just quote the backstory on this one:

"The Liberator was developed with one thing in mind: destruction. She was built from the keel up to be able to annihilate enemies on land and sea. The Pentagon decided that American troops were often not given the proper support they needed, and with full-scale war looming over the horizon, she was given the go-ahead in 2014. It took the shipyards at Newport News three years to build her. She was retrofitted in 2022 in preparation for the Brazil-American War, where she bombarded targets as far inland as the Amazonian headwaters.

Originally she was built to be stealthy. Because of this, she has a tumblehome hull and the ability to lower herself into the water through the use of trim tanks. However, the Pentagon later came to the conclusion that stealthiness was unnecessary for the ship they wanted her to be, and so the additional weapons emplacements and RADAR were placed with no thought given to her signature."

Real deep, that was:

[ img ]

Somebody recognized the need for a guided missile battleship and designed appropriately:

[ img ]

To quote the backstory, "this particular ship scored the most kills against Brazilian and Argentinean subs in the Caribbean."

[ img ]

There's some backstory to this one too but it's tl;dr and, well, just take a look:

[ img ]

This poor sod was wondering "what kind of advance program do you use because I just used MSPaint and it's not very good :( "

[ img ]

and finally:

[ img ]

I hope this one is a joke.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: November 16th, 2010, 9:15 am
where is the bleeding eyes emocotion when we need it most?

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: November 16th, 2010, 12:47 pm
Strictly speaking, by NS standards, the Jean Bart isn't too bad. That individual alone out of these noobs might have some promise if could be trained. I note that at least he knows what a missile director is, which is something unusual for these clowns.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Demon Lord Razgriz
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: November 16th, 2010, 12:48 pm
Bleeding eyes?! We need the exploding head emocotion!!

Atlas V
Delta II/III
Project Constellation
Soyuz series

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: November 16th, 2010, 1:13 pm
I'm desperately trying to keep my lunch inside...

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: November 16th, 2010, 2:40 pm
For the life of me I cann't figure those clowns. If they go to the trouble of copying from Shipbucket, why, for the love of God, don't they learnn something.
BTW I recognised my Royal navy 'L' class destroyer in the "ECV Ulysses" or whatever.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: November 16th, 2010, 3:39 pm
Demon Lord Razgriz wrote:
Bleeding eyes?! We need the exploding head emocotion!!
hahaha

YEAR :twisted:

[Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: WikiStates GemsPosted: November 16th, 2010, 3:57 pm
[ img ]

;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 9 of 43  [ 428 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 17 8 9 10 1143 »

Jump to: