Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Revenue Cutter ServicePosted: October 22nd, 2010, 11:22 am
I did not, in fact, notice the second Goalkeeper, so, both are then in a really bad, awkward position, indeed, my previous statement of potentiality of causing more harm to the ship itself rather than enemy goals, still stands. Also, since the US navy decommissioned its Talos program (and mind you - the Talos IS a very, very long-range SAM!) why on earth would they relinquish control of such a substantial system to, really, anyone?!? I cannot follow that logic, I'm afraid. Yes, it was obsolete, but still a potent and lethal system which amply had proven itself during the PIRAZ-operations in the Gulf of Tonkin (c f USS Chicago's downing of three MiG: 17s and 21s at an extreme range.) It's major drawback, and which prompted its withdrawal was its beam-riding guideance system. The navy sure lamented the premature withdrawal of their CGs and CLGs, since they served as very effective fleet flagships, but with both block obsolescence and system obsolescence they had little left to chose between. And, with regards to the boats, there are pictures of the Okie from 1978/79 (last year of commissioning) which clearly shows her with two 40 ft personnel Boats, one 40 ft Utility boats (Cutters) and two Motor Whale Boats; the PB and MWB being stacked either side; the cutter being forward, starboard side of the stacked boat stowage. All in all five boats. Also, even though a very utilitarian modernization, one ought to consider exchanging the cork floatsams along the superstructure with modern, more efficient life preserver capsules!

[Profile] [Quote]
Oozlefinch
Post subject: Re: Revenue Cutter ServicePosted: October 22nd, 2010, 5:13 pm
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
Amazing photo's of choppers sitting on cramped sterns - I take back my misgivings, though I'm still not sure if its a good idea. I think one critique is the mixing of different generations of equipment: for example, different 5-in mounts, and on the same hull Goalkeeper, but that's your call. :)
Neither do I, but apparently the OKC finished off her career with an SH-3 as it's assigned chopper so someone did *shrug* Definitely anachronistic, but I'd say the 5in would be more useful against surface targets while the Goalkeeper gives the RCS and actual anti-aircraft/anti-missile defense.
bezobrazov wrote:
I did not, in fact, notice the second Goalkeeper, so, both are then in a really bad, awkward position, indeed, my previous statement of potentiality of causing more harm to the ship itself rather than enemy goals, still stands.
I really was hoping it was the second mount. Yes, I know that one's in a bad position as well; not considering the the deck penetration that would no doubt cut into the bridge or flag quarters. It would have been much simpler not to include any Goalkeeper positions but I did want to try and give it some CIWS. Now I may need to work on some sort of CIWS frigate.... though that sounds like a stupid idea.
bezobrazov wrote:
Also, since the US navy decommissioned its Talos program (and mind you - the Talos IS a very, very long-range SAM!) why on earth would they relinquish control of such a substantial system to, really, anyone?!? I cannot follow that logic, I'm afraid. Yes, it was obsolete, but still a potent and lethal system which amply had proven itself during the PIRAZ-operations in the Gulf of Tonkin (c f USS Chicago's downing of three MiG: 17s and 21s at an extreme range.) It's major drawback, and which prompted its withdrawal was its beam-riding guideance system.
The United States would never give dangerously capable weapons to anyone..... what? It certainly was. No doubt the RCS is delighted to have some long range anti-aircraft capability.
bezobrazov wrote:
The navy sure lamented the premature withdrawal of their CGs and CLGs, since they served as very effective fleet flagships, but with both block obsolescence and system obsolescence they had little left to chose between.
They certainly did; I don't really follow the relevance here though.
bezobrazov wrote:
And, with regards to the boats, there are pictures of the Okie from 1978/79 (last year of commissioning) which clearly shows her with two 40 ft personnel Boats, one 40 ft Utility boats (Cutters) and two Motor Whale Boats; the PB and MWB being stacked either side; the cutter being forward, starboard side of the stacked boat stowage. All in all five boats. Also, even though a very utilitarian modernization, one ought to consider exchanging the cork floatsams along the superstructure with modern, more efficient life preserver capsules!
Pardon me, I was going off an earlier picture from the bow on that showed two personnel boats on the stack and a utility boat on the davit. Can't remember if it was port or starboard. Though, this picture from the final cruise taken in Hawaii shows just the one motor whaleboat on the starboard side I believe (other shots show a normal compliment of boats to port). Again allow me to repeat I didn't make the original drawing; I'd direct questions about the lack of boats to the original artist(s) who could no doubt explain it much better then I have attempted to.

Would I find those on the equipment sheet?

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Revenue Cutter ServicePosted: October 22nd, 2010, 5:26 pm
Indeed Ooslefinch, that picture shows only one cutter. So true, however, what's not so self-evident is the adjacent boat stowage platform directly behind it! And, given the fact that the ship's boat complement did change, not only through the years, but even during certain operations I admit it can be a tough call exactly how many ought to be shipped at a given period.. Would you then find those required boat sets on the sheets? Hmmm...I'm not so sure about that. You can always use more modern, light weight versions too. Mind you, these ships were weight critical as it was. When I 'superdetailed' the Okie (and then almost immediately lost the copy through a computer crash!) I had to use CAD drawings and a base in order to shape those boats up. Unfortunately the only copy I now have of my version is a paper one, which it won't do to scan, since it'll distort everything anyhow. And I'm not quite motivated to redo it! - What I meant with my comment on the demise of these beautiful ships, is to suggest that the Navy might have resisted any administration's attempt to sell anything but, basically the hull. Certainly they'd object the selling of the Talos, obsolete or not!

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Revenue Cutter ServicePosted: October 22nd, 2010, 7:23 pm
If you have the 5L54 Mk-45 mount there is no reason at all to mount the old 5L38s. They take older fire control, and would make maintenance a massive pain, not to mention the crew they would suck up.

[Profile] [Quote]
Oozlefinch
Post subject: Re: Revenue Cutter ServicePosted: October 22nd, 2010, 8:06 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
What I meant with my comment on the demise of these beautiful ships, is to suggest that the Navy might have resisted any administration's attempt to sell anything but, basically the hull. Certainly they'd object the selling of the Talos, obsolete or not!
I'll sort out something for her small craft complement soon enough, thanks for the input. Especially since it lead me to this book! Oh my yes, tooth in nail I'm sure. However, in Oozle's fantasy land let's just say they were willing to cut a deal with Laurette ;)
TimothyC wrote:
If you have the 5L54 Mk-45 mount there is no reason at all to mount the old 5L38s. They take older fire control, and would make maintenance a massive pain, not to mention the crew they would suck up.
*shrug* More guns on deck, more all around firepower was the general consideration, whatever there age.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Revenue Cutter ServicePosted: October 22nd, 2010, 9:37 pm
Thanks for that tip! I shifted through it and it is indeed a little gem!

[Profile] [Quote]
Oozlefinch
Post subject: Re: Revenue Cutter ServicePosted: October 22nd, 2010, 10:20 pm
I might make that my next project, doing some of the ones that haven't already been finished.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: