Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ] 
Raxar
Post subject: AU Shipping linePosted: July 11th, 2012, 10:17 pm
So, a while back, I created the Yente Lines, a freighter company based in my AU country of Cenet. Recently, I have resurected the Yente Lines, and have been drawing new vessels. It is addicting, merchies are just fun to draw. So I decided to split off the Yente Lines from the Cenet thread, which will now be only for vessels of the Cenetian Navy.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ img ]
The Yente Lines came about in the late 1890's, when a group of merchants in Londonshire banded together to buy a steamship to import goods themselves instead of purchasing them from various ships. By the 1910's, the company had grown to own a well sized fleet, and by the 20's, it dominated Cenetian trade. The decision early on to utilize new steam technology had given the Yente Lines a head start over her competitors that continued to use sail, as steam powered vessels had a key advantage, reliablilty, even in the unpredictable weather in the Northwest Pacific. Some competitors carried on, however, most in the port of Komner, but some survived in Londonshire. In the 30's, trade was strong, especially in Japan. Everything changed in WWII, however. The Government subsidized much of the shipping trade, and many companies went under. By the end of the war, some lines had survived, including the Yente, but the markets were nil. Japan was in no economic position to conduct reade, and China was engulfed in civil war, most routes shifted to Russia and the United States, but never on the on the grand scale of previous years.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ img ]
The Yente Lines named many ships after port cities, the SS Beihai being no exception. Built in the early 30's, she ran the route she was named after until being procured by the navy in 1941 and eventually being sunk in a convoy.
[ img ]
SS Jergon ran the Komner-Tokyo from 1924-1941, survived the war, but was scrapped shortly after.
[ img ]
SS Londonshire ran the Tokyo route carrying freight and passengers from 1915-1938, when she ran aground. She has 12 berths in 6 cabins, and a small kitchenette/lounge.
[ img ]
The SS Rawen was built in 1908 and started on the Fuzhou Route. In 1919, she was transferred to the Niigata Route, and finally ended up on the Coastal "China Tramp" Route in 1928. She was scrapped in 1935.
More ships coming along, some of them from competing lines.
BTW, Open Thread, feel free to post stuff from any AU here.

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: AU Shipping linePosted: July 12th, 2012, 1:28 am
Y U No Korea?

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: AU Shipping linePosted: July 12th, 2012, 8:00 pm
Very interesting. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: AU Shipping linePosted: July 12th, 2012, 8:04 pm
klagldsf wrote:
Y U No Korea?
Mostly because I forgot about it... :roll:

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs”

Jump to: