Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 5  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: North PointPosted: September 7th, 2010, 3:07 pm
Vossiej wrote:
Colosseum, is it allright if I use your modifications on my Indonesia variant? The new bow etc.
You drew most of it. :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: North PointPosted: December 12th, 2010, 11:48 pm
Newest design, a basic copy of the Australian Fremantle class patrol boat. Named for military heroes of North Point (in other words, I ran out of names like "Conqueror" and "Vengeance"... :P

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: North PointPosted: January 4th, 2011, 12:50 pm
The 40mm/60 seems very much out of place on what is a rather modern looking ship.
By the time this ship is build, the gun will be about forty years old, severely outdated, and unless it's been in storage since production, very very worn.
A much more likely candidate is the 40mm/L70 M48, since production of that gun didn't stop until the mid-seventies if I'm not mistaken.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: North PointPosted: January 4th, 2011, 6:18 pm
Looking at my original the only changes here are with the 40mm Bofors and the light gun on the stern; but the Bofors I used doesn't look all that good now and since then I've changed the design. The be frank I don't think it makes much diference, more what we individually prefer :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: North PointPosted: January 4th, 2011, 11:58 pm
Portsmouth Bill wrote:
Looking at my original the only changes here are with the 40mm Bofors and the light gun on the stern; but the Bofors I used doesn't look all that good now and since then I've changed the design. The be frank I don't think it makes much diference, more what we individually prefer :)
My issue is more the sheer age of the gun compared to the ship rather than the looks.
The RDN began replacing their M36's in the mid-sixties because of maintenance issues. The guns were simply worn out.
For that reason I find it hard to believe that you could find a gun with much service life back in it twenty years later, let alone enough to arm an entire class of ships. Going by the PT number, there could be as many as 61 of these. Include spare parts and guns and you could easily be looking at something like 75-80 guns. That's a lot of guns to maintain when nobody is manufacturing spares.
And it's not as if you're going to need much in way of directors, a simple optical one should suffice. While it might be too early for something fancy like the Mirador, a manual like the NIFE SRS-5 should suffice. Heck, you could go completely old fashioned and go for the Gyro Gunsight Mk. 14.

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: North PointPosted: January 5th, 2011, 12:42 am
Where is the updated Bofors?

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: North PointPosted: January 5th, 2011, 1:13 am
Colosseum wrote:
Where is the updated Bofors?
Here you go.
Attachment:
Bofors 40mm L70.png

Worklist

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: North PointPosted: January 5th, 2011, 8:54 am
The single Bofors mount that I used on the original Fremantle is shown on this sheet, started by Hood:

[ img ]

But (as I mentioned) it wasn't the final word on this mount. In fact I would think it would be difficult and contentious to arrive at a standard design for what appears to be a very diverse gun and mount, in both single and multiple versions. I have to admit I'm not prepared to spend the time at present on this issue (the many and various gun mounts), but I salute those amongst us who are prepared to do so :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 5  [ 48 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5

Jump to: