Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 34  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 734 »
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Rehearsals for an AUPosted: July 22nd, 2014, 6:24 pm
Fantastic job sebu, great to see you back with another great personal design

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
sebu
Post subject: Re: Rehearsals for an AUPosted: July 23rd, 2014, 9:36 pm
Thanks Trojan, I appreciate.

Seems that solutions made in previous one are widely approved...
Next one is derived from Danish frigates to serve in more arctic conditions of mighty Kingdom of Norrland . 8-)

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Rehearsals for an AUPosted: July 23rd, 2014, 9:52 pm
I wonder, why the different air search radar?
the sonar dome is quite far back and will most likely be of not much use.
the ABL's are very big for this ship, and I doubt they can fire that missile?
there is an updated ivar huitfeld: http://www.shipbucket.com/Real%20Design ... tfeldt.PNG

[Profile] [Quote]
sebu
Post subject: Re: Rehearsals for an AUPosted: July 23rd, 2014, 10:26 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
I wonder, why the different air search radar?
the sonar dome is quite far back and will most likely be of not much use.
the ABL's are very big for this ship, and I doubt they can fire that missile?
there is an updated ivar huitfeld: http://www.shipbucket.com/Real%20Design ... tfeldt.PNG
Thanks for comments Ace.
Well, my intuition of "good looking" radar is perhaps different. This is suppose do the same work as Smart-L you're talking about.

I was guessing the order of sonar, mine detection sensor and APU propulsion. I quess that was wrong... What might be the right one?

ABL? The ssm supposed to be LRASM (or at least variant of it); did you mean that?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Rehearsals for an AUPosted: July 23rd, 2014, 10:56 pm
the launchers you have used are Mk 143 ABL launchers. look them up and you see why my concerns ;)
the SMART-L is bloody powerfull. the TRS-3D/32 is good, but not as powerful as the SMART-L. it is just a generation before, and not build to work with the APAR........ as far as I can see, in all but cost the SMART-L would be superior.
sonar dome should be as forward as possible. you want it to have as less interference from the ship pushing itself trough the waters as possible. the auxilary thruster.... when serving as a bow thruster, you want it as much forward as possible, but when as auxilary it can be wherever you want it. if it is sized for being an propulsion power, it is bigger then required as bow thruster and thus it is less of an requirement for it to be placed fully forward.
mine sensors are most of the time integrated in the sonar dome, IIRC.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Rehearsals for an AUPosted: July 23rd, 2014, 11:35 pm
I see no reason why Mk 143 could not handle LRASM after suitable application of money. Both Mk 41 and Mk 143 are essentially sized around the same original Tomahawk, and LRASM is obviously somewhat smaller.

[Profile] [Quote]
sebu
Post subject: Re: Rehearsals for an AUPosted: July 24th, 2014, 8:24 am
Ok, now I've changed positions of sonar and aux bow thruster as Ace recommended.
Obviously, I should write a little more about sensors, armament and arrangements with the ship itself... But I'm too lazy to do it every time ;)
So, the radar is suppose to be Selex RAN-40L which is quite close to capabilities of SMART-L, I think. Integration with APAR... Well, though it might be a problem in real world, this is an AU ;) or more closely an study for proper and plausible AU yet to come. Therefore I've also used ABL launchers in this context; I didn't want vertical launch-version here. And gladly it could be possible as erik_t mentioned.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Rehearsals for an AUPosted: July 24th, 2014, 8:39 am
well, I would think the ABL way too heavy for a ship this size, but it is not impossible, that is true.

may I recommend redrawing the search radar then, because this http://www.selex-es.com/documents/73744 ... square.jpg looks different then this http://www.f210.de/images/trs3d.jpg which is currently on the drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Rehearsals for an AUPosted: July 24th, 2014, 4:49 pm
Oh, is ABL too heavy? Probably so!

But if you could fit the launcher (although I don't really know why you'd want to...), I'm sure LRASM would fit inside it.

I'd much rather just try to fit a single strike-length Mk 41, which is probably lighter and definitely has lower topweight.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Rehearsals for an AUPosted: July 24th, 2014, 5:08 pm
if you really want a non-VLS launched cruise missile, you could always build another box for it..... IIRC, the actual launch installation is not more complicated then that of harpoon, only a bit heavier. the MK 41 is basically that as well for the tomahawk, a tube with launch electronics and an exhaust..... no reason at all that you cannot put that diagonal.

that said, I would always prefer the above solution (small set of VLS) to any box launcher.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 34  [ 331 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 734 »

Jump to: