Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Vossiej's Super Ship: My spin on it for my AUPosted: July 29th, 2010, 7:00 pm
My take on Vossiej's design for an amphibious command ship which I did for an AU. Continued from his now archive thread. This is Voss's original image. At the bottom is my edited form.

My changes:

*Shortened the hull and helico area (to the point where the vessel is shorter in length than a Nimitz),

*Solved issues with Zodiac RHIB doors being too high

*Took out the Tomahawk launchers

*Replaced original CIWS mounts with Block II Phalanx and Block II SeaRam

*Replaced some .50 OTOs with either Mk38 or M134 (the latter drawing being mine) and added other MK38 and M134 mounts

*Added LRADs

*Added lifeboats with hatches

*Added an anchor (Don't want your uber command vessel to go drifting on port calls, do you?)

*Placed hull number and redid naming up top with due attribution.

*Took out Chinooks and whatever that helico was on the crane, replaced with MH-60 Knighthawk (for an amphibious command ship with small additional replenishment role, this seemed like a good choice), drawing courtesy of Darthpanda.

*Recolored EFVs

*Replaced Smart-L with US radar found on carriers (don't know the name).

*Added sonar

*Added Admiral's flag (for command flagship)

*Made some other minor changes.

[ img ]

NOTE: Things like the Mk38s, LRADs and M134s are to counter the threat that fast, small craft pose to larger ships, especially in littoral environments. The last thing you want to happen to your command ship or any ship for that matter is for it to be destroyed or disabled by a bunch of heavily armed knuckleheads or suicide bombers in motor dinghys that you can't sufficiently engage.

Last edited by Wikipedia & Universe on July 30th, 2010, 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Vossiej's Super Ship: My spin on it for my AUPosted: July 29th, 2010, 7:13 pm
if you want to use this ship as an amphibious assault ship, you will need an larger helideck, or an second ship with heli's on board.... if possible, you might want to move the hangar to midships (somewhere around the current position of the radar tower) so you can have an larger helideck...

one little mistake you made: that rhib so far in the bow isn't an good idea, it will get wet over there... maybe move it slightly to the back, and put an hatch over it.

may I ask how this ship is powered? vossiej's version was nuclear, have you kept that and where is your reactor placed?

[Profile] [Quote]
Demon Lord Razgriz
Post subject: Re: Vossiej's Super Ship: My spin on it for my AUPosted: July 29th, 2010, 7:30 pm
Well, that 105mm is not mine. It's an incorrect weapon that was removed from the parts sheet and I think Golly mentioned banning the next person to use it. :3 So I'd remove as fast as you can.

Also, can I get a link to the Vossiej's original ship?

Atlas V
Delta II/III
Project Constellation
Soyuz series

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: Vossiej's Super Ship: My spin on it for my AUPosted: July 29th, 2010, 8:31 pm
Cool, I'll get it out of there. I just saw it in the Hypersphere thread and thought it looked cool but had nowhere to put it, so it wasn't really a necessity anyway.

Oh and the link to the original is at the top of the OP where it says "This is Voss's original image." The link's blue so it's hard to see. Also the full thread link is right before it. I'll talk to Colo about changing link colors and/or using underlines.

[Profile] [Quote]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Vossiej's Super Ship: My spin on it for my AUPosted: July 30th, 2010, 12:06 am
Isn't she awesome? What a beaty, on of my best AU designs :D

To make it a bit easier for other board members to see the difference:
[ img ]

Ps. That helicopter on the crane is the (outdated drawing of) NH90 helicopter.

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: Vossiej's Super Ship: My spin on it for my AUPosted: July 30th, 2010, 12:23 am
acelanceloet wrote:
if you want to use this ship as an amphibious assault ship, you will need an larger helideck, or an second ship with heli's on board.... if possible, you might want to move the hangar to midships (somewhere around the current position of the radar tower) so you can have an larger helideck...

one little mistake you made: that rhib so far in the bow isn't an good idea, it will get wet over there... maybe move it slightly to the back, and put an hatch over it.

may I ask how this ship is powered? vossiej's version was nuclear, have you kept that and where is your reactor placed?
This is not a full-on amphibious assault shipm and a larger helideck is not needed. This is an amphibious command ship. It is my AU successor to the aging Blue Ridge-class. For the full-on amphibious assault ship I use my Brendan Eich-class (I may post that later).

As for your last question, yes the ship is nuclear, and because the USN hull code for command sips is LCC, I designated it LCCN. I also made my amphibious assault ship nuclear, designating it LHDN.

@ Vossiej: I like your design, that's why I used it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Vossiej's Super Ship: My spin on it for my AUPosted: July 30th, 2010, 1:24 am
Just looks like a big nuke target to me!

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Vossiej's Super Ship: My spin on it for my AUPosted: July 30th, 2010, 1:57 am
I'm thinking Sunburn (SS-N-22, or P-270 Moskit) or Shipwreck (SS-N-19, or P-700 Granit) target myself. It is also and UNREP ship as well, which I would say we need if not for the fact that the T-AKE program is ahead of schedule and under-budget.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Vossiej's Super Ship: My spin on it for my AUPosted: July 30th, 2010, 2:00 am
TimothyC wrote:
I'm thinking Sunburn (SS-N-22, or P-270 Moskit) or Shipwreck (SS-N-19, or P-700 Granit) target myself. It is also and UNREP ship as well, which I would say we need if not for the fact that the T-AKE program is ahead of schedule and under-budget.
The DoD can do that?

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Vossiej's Super Ship: My spin on it for my AUPosted: July 30th, 2010, 2:01 am
Thiel wrote:
TimothyC wrote:
The DoD can do that?
While the whole program was initially delayed, the rest of the ships are about 6 months ahead of schedule, and I don't remember how many million under budget.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 21 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: