Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 
AtlanticRaider
Post subject: New Member Needs Help: Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse War RaiderPosted: August 14th, 2013, 8:48 pm
I was wondering the other day

WHAT IF...

Germany ordered the refloating of the Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse and a return to the naval yard to be converted in to a full on Raider

I was thinking the same four funneled design but with cannon on either side of the hull (think pirate ship) or the Raider Atlantis who had dropping plates to reveal weaponry.

It would be nice if she was decored in dazzle

This Kaiser would take back to the seas and have a driving force in WWI and maybe encounter a final demise by the end of the war

This is all because she only served two weeks as a AMC only to be scuttled

I would love if anyone could bring my idea to life.

[Profile] [Quote]
WWII44
Post subject: Re: New Member Needs Help: Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse War RaiPosted: August 14th, 2013, 10:35 pm
SOund intriguing but I lack the skill to pull it off personally.

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: New Member Needs Help: Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse War RaiPosted: August 14th, 2013, 10:44 pm
Express liners proved themselves to be highly impractical in reality during the war. They burned vast amounts of coal and their vast bulk towering out of the water made them easy targets. Combined with the fact that their profiles were very difficult to change meant that they lacked the primary defense of a merchant raider; being able to conceal itself amongst general merchant traffic without standing out.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: New Member Needs Help: Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse War RaiPosted: August 15th, 2013, 2:54 pm
As I recall, when she sunk, she sank on her port side, which makes it really awkward for re floating, especially in wartime. Her sister, the Kronprinz Wilhelm is a better choice seeing it made it 251 days as a commerce raider.

[ img ]

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
AtlanticRaider
Post subject: Re: New Member Needs Help: Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse War RaiPosted: August 15th, 2013, 3:10 pm
But how do we get her back into german hands?

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: New Member Needs Help: Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse War RaiPosted: August 15th, 2013, 3:18 pm
Say she never left them hypothetically, as it was relative chance that the British captured her last supply ship, only by a few hours, had she gained that coal and food, she could have gone on for a while longer

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs”

Jump to: