Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 47  [ 467 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 547 »
KHT
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: August 3rd, 2014, 2:03 pm
Ehm. Said Somali pirates can be beaten back with a few pintel-mounted machine guns.
Big guns are superior to missiles in mostly one regard nowadays: Shore bombardement. Other than that, missiles are faster, have longer range, are more accurate, etc.
IMO, you should just get to drawing up a few ships. Your AU scenario isn't very plausible, but in the end, the ship drawings are what really matter. If you make well thought out ship designs represented in good drawings, that's more important than wether or not your AU holds its water.

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: August 3rd, 2014, 2:56 pm
The first will be the WWI Battleship of Rossiyan Navansha-class battleships

They were designed in 1907 after Britain launched her HMS Dreadnought.
The Navansha battleships had an impressive armament of fourteen 12 inch guns in seven turrets, another fourteen 5 inch casemated guns on the sides and finally twenty 3 inch High Angle Guns.
It was protected by 260mm of belt armour, 70 mm of deck armour,290 mm of turret armour, 85 mm armour on the conning tower and 200 mm of bulkhead armour.
Construction began in 1908 on RFS (Rossiyan Fighting Ship) Navansha, the lead ship and the Brass was impressed so much that they ordered eleven more warships, but this order jumped to nineteen when they saw the gathering storm clouds over Europe.
Due to Rossiya having a large number of shipyards capable of building heavy warships (13 total), this was done with little problem. By the beginning of the Great War, Rossiya had twenty battleships ready to give hell but Rossiya only joined the war in 1916 when a German U-boot mistakenly torpedoed an Rossiyan cruise liner, RCS (Rossiyan Commercial Ship) Rejoice, (this is a story for another day).
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: August 4th, 2014, 12:26 am
You have much space for casmates, but you don`t use it. Remove the deck between the forward casemates and the upper ones, and lower the whole thing down. You need to credit BB1917 for much of the ship. The three aft guns are not the same as the four forward and mid ones. The aft casemates are of an American design, and sould be reworked, style wise. 14 guns seems extremely complex for a first battleship, and 14 5 inch guns seems too few, the early-mid American dreadnoughts had 20+ casemated 5 inch guns. The ship looks way too modern for 1908. 20 AA guns is considered extreme for 1935, let alone 1908.

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: August 4th, 2014, 1:04 am
Karle94 wrote:
You have much space for casmates, but you don`t use it. Remove the deck between the forward casemates and the upper ones, and lower the whole thing down. You need to credit BB1917 for much of the ship. The three aft guns are not the same as the four forward and mid ones. The aft casemates are of an American design, and sould be reworked, style wise. 14 guns seems extremely complex for a first battleship, and 14 5 inch guns seems too few, the early-mid American dreadnoughts had 20+ casemated 5 inch guns. The ship looks way too modern for 1908. 20 AA guns is considered extreme for 1935, let alone 1908.
Alright, I will rework the design, thanks for the input

[Profile] [Quote]
kellyj
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: August 4th, 2014, 5:55 am
Well, its a pretty interesting ship...plays very well into that size matters thing.
Hoping not to commit an egregious sin, I did a quick and dirty slice and dice of your ship...essentially cutting out the center section with the 2 extra guns, the grafting the ends together. This may not be "Shipbucket style" but it was the best way to demonstrate my idea on the ship.
IMHO it keeps the flavor of your ship while making it more in line with what the rest of the world was building at the time and puts your boilers/engineering spaces in a more centralized configuration (based on stack location).
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: August 4th, 2014, 6:58 am
I think the ship looks far to much like 1910-14 rather than 1907-10,

- 14 inch is to big to start with (use 11/12)
- all centreline turrets
- way to many AA and to few casement (fill in the back superstructure with more)
- 7 is to much like HMS Agincourt
- its to big for a early (1908) dreadnought

for 1908 you are looking at St. Vincent-class battleships, Helgoland class etc.
JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
OberstAmiruddin
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: August 4th, 2014, 7:06 am
JSB wrote:
I think the ship looks far to much like 1910-14 rather than 1907-10,

- 14 inch is to big to start with (use 11/12)
- all centreline turrets
- way to many AA and to few casement (fill in the back superstructure with more)
- 7 is to much like HMS Agincourt
- its to big for a early (1908) dreadnought

for 1908 you are looking at St. Vincent-class battleships, Helgoland class etc.
JSB
Thanks for the suggestions, I think will class the current drawing as a rebuilt of the Navansha-class in the 1915, with some alterations

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: August 4th, 2014, 11:02 am
Navansha class fire control. At present none of the seven turrets share a common height above water. This makes for a fire control nightmare. All of the turrets will take different times to load due to the different length of shell hoists from magazine to turret. For each turret to fire the same distance as the others will require a slightly different elevation of the guns in each turret. Try to get your turrets at best 2 levels or at most 3 levels on a stepped hull.

Keep trying, not everything works out first time. :)

Crediting, when using other peoples hulls, superstructure to draw your ship, you need to give them credit for their work. I work on basis of (hull(nick)/superstructure(nick)/me). Guns/weapons count as spare parts and not require crediting.

Good luck!

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: August 4th, 2014, 2:55 pm
I smell a heavy bow...?

[Profile] [Quote]
WWII44
Post subject: Re: Republic of Rossiya, Beast from the SouthPosted: August 5th, 2014, 12:05 pm
you might consider shrinking the forward funnel or enlarging the aft funnel also try drawing your own turret designs for the main guns and lower the bow a bit as it is too high out of the water. other than that not ad for a first go.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 47  [ 467 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 547 »

Jump to: