Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
Lokust
Post subject: A Belgian AUPosted: September 10th, 2014, 6:09 am
This is my first try here in Shipbucket, hope you like it!

HISTORY OF THE BELGIAN NAVY (after WW2)

The harsh lessons of World War II made national defense one of Belgium's top priority. Having a weak naval force, pre-WWII Belgium was virtually unable to protect it's coastlines and it's trade lanes. Without a capable navy, the Belgian maritime trade industry suffered greatly from the pains of the war.

On 1 June 1946, Section Navale was renamed Force Navale, by analogy with Force Terrestre (Army) and Force Aérienne (Air Force). It was considered unappropriate to revive the former name Marine Royale, because the Royal question was controversial at that time.

On 15 June 1946, the regent Charles (King Léopold III was still living in exile in Switzerland) gave the Belgian seamen a standard designed on the model of the regimental flags of the Army. The standard should be used only for ceremonial purposes on land. It was a Belgian Tricolore with the mention of all the battles during which the seamen won fame. The standard (77 x 88 cm) was charged in canton with the Medal of War Cross 1939-1945 with palm.

On 25 February 1949, the Navy was incorporated into the Armed Forces, under the rule of the Ministry of Defence, ending 120 years of hesitation between different ministeries. On 23 February 1950, the Force Navale received its own ensign, clearly different from the national, state and civil ensigns as well from the yacht ensign.

In the post-war years, Belgium joined NATO in 1948. As a result, Belgium received large amounts of material and financing through the Marshall Plan. Furthermore, several ships were purchased from the British and a number of vessels were transferred from the now disarmed German navy.

During the Cold War, the Belgian navy was rebuilt and modernised, with the main assignment being to repel an invasion from the Warsaw Pact. Typical operations requiring training were minesweeping and sting attacks with small but fast combat craft. The naval bases in Zeebrugge and Bruges were created through NATO funds in the 1950s.

The size of the Belgian Navy drastically declined after the Cold War, in which Belgian government ordered to restructure the Belgian Armed Forces in order to cope with the changed threats. This led to a reduction in the size of the Armed Forces. The Navy then sold their frigates and other ships to friendly countries, although replaced by newer and more capable ones. As of 2014, the Navy was armed for minimal territorial defense with overseas deployment capabilities.

Worklist:
Alternate Belgium

[Profile] [Quote]
Lokust
Post subject: Re: A Belgian AUPosted: September 10th, 2014, 6:11 am
First vessel, the Wielingen class of patrol frigates.

WIP!
[ img ]

The alternate frigate is based on the actual ship, i'd made my own refinement. I increased the length and added a helicopter carrying capability. She is not yet done, and your comments and suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Worklist:
Alternate Belgium

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: A Belgian AUPosted: September 10th, 2014, 8:54 am
A very interesting scenario.

I like the look of the AU Wielingen. Its an early WIP but I see nothing that immediately looks wrong. I think you've manage to keep some of the style of the real ship and it looks a balanced mix of weapons and systems. Going for a helideck without a hangar is probably a good move too.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
schepper911
Post subject: Re: A Belgian AUPosted: September 10th, 2014, 1:53 pm
Marvelous AU and for me personally one worth following very closely, as I am in the Zeemacht/Force Navale, I saw long ago some alternate plans of the E-71 FFG, one is with an helo deck and hangar, the NSSMS was placed further down, and the flight deck was longer, the second version was one with 2 100MM cadam, one on the fo'csle and the second in place of the NSSMS, let me see if i can find those plans again , but keep up the good work Bravo Zulu

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: A Belgian AUPosted: September 10th, 2014, 5:09 pm
looking nice. I look forward to the progress and additional drawings.
that said, I have a few comments on the alternate Wielingen:
- the funnel looks smallish. did you re-engine the design? otherwise I doubt it will fit this way
- I cannot see a good place for air intakes right now.
- the DA-08 radar you fitted is a lot newer then the DA-05 fitted on the wielingen class
- I am not certain what dictated the size of the lowered platform on the stern. it might be worth looking into the reason for that size, as you might be able to optimise the shape a bit with that knowledge
- the bofors mortar you fitted on the bow is the quad version, while the real wielingen class had one with 6 barrels, IIRC. (the old drawing has the wrong one as well)

IMO, the real E-71 frigate could use a redraw as well, I have some references lying around and if you keep up the work as you are doing now, you are certainly capable of taking it on ;) let me know if you want to.

schepper, I would be interested in seeing those E-71 proposals too :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Lokust
Post subject: Re: A Belgian AUPosted: September 11th, 2014, 4:52 am
Thanks for all inspiring comments mates! I'll be able to finish the ship in few days and i'll take all your suggestions :)
BTW, this is the updated version:
[ img ]

I've been looking for the latest 6-barrelled version of Bofors mortar...maybe some help? Also the 20mm F2 cannon, i'm planning to add some on my AU Wielingen..

Ace, yes i tried to re-engine the ship, but as you said, it may not be plausible..Maybe i'll retain the funnel. Also i will ditch the lowered platform in the stern, and slightly reduced the AU ship's length.

Worklist:
Alternate Belgium

[Profile] [Quote]
schepper911
Post subject: Re: A Belgian AUPosted: September 11th, 2014, 8:12 am
Looking good, perhaps that you can cover the nixie deck (lowered platform in the stern) with the helo deck ?? Oh no you are planning to give us some 20mm ?? That means i have to give up my beloved .50. Speaking from experience the 20mm was an bad choice to be used aboard, firepower ok but to much hassle using it, the Oerlikon 20 mm was better used for shipboard use due to its rugedness.
Here are the drawings of Bezobrazov of the E-71 perhaps that it can be usefull to you http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... =12&t=2603
looking forward to other of your designs

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: A Belgian AUPosted: September 11th, 2014, 10:22 am
well, you are redesigning the ship, so new engines are not out of the question if you want to. it all depends on what you want, the original engine setup was pretty good, but it might lack power for the bigger ship.
that said, I think you are going to be stuck with gas turbines, so you will still need a funnel about the same size and air intakes.
I am not certain why you swapped the gun to an older version of the drawing..... and I think the best mortar is on bezo's E-71, or you should draw your own?

[Profile] [Quote]
MC Spoilt B'stard
Post subject: Re: A Belgian AUPosted: September 11th, 2014, 2:22 pm
Looking forward to see the AU grow! I know there was a helicopter variant on the E71 (wielingen) class frigate design.
I tried to find it but no results so far, keep trying.

The flight deck was located over the mk29 and lower deck, i think they relocated the mk29 to the superstructure at the end of the flight deck.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qqohzjkjjk4tw ... 1.png?dl=0
I made a little sketch of what i remind of the plans, based on your drawing.

------
Caption signing treaty with England by Johan de Witt

[Working List]
None

[Profile] [Quote]
Lokust
Post subject: Re: A Belgian AUPosted: September 12th, 2014, 7:50 am
Thanks for comments guys! I used the mortar from Bezo's magnificent drawing of E71 frigate.

Ace, maybe i'll retain the ship's original propulsion systems.

Thanks Sir MC Spoilt B'stard for an enlightening concept, maybe i'll apply on the updated design!

Worklist:
Alternate Belgium

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: