Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 7 of 40  [ 398 posts ]  Go to page « 15 6 7 8 940 »
JSB
Post subject: Re: The Federal Monarchy Of Tol GalenPosted: December 21st, 2014, 9:32 pm
Thanks, have you worked out any numbers for the leanders ?

Specifically how big I can stretch them and still have reasonable speed (with the different engine set ups, Y100,Y130,Y160 etc.)(I was planing to use batch Is and wide hull/stretched batch 3s hopefully without losing to much speed, and fit them with US/UK/NATO mix systems).

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: The Federal Monarchy Of Tol GalenPosted: December 21st, 2014, 10:04 pm
I'm not overly sure, the wording in the Friedman book is pretty hazy other than a stretched broad-beam Leander. Technically, the longer you are in relativity to your beam the faster you should be able to go, the differences involved here though I can't help but think would be negligible, especially on a Y130 or 160 power-plant. 27-28knots would seem reasonable still, plus whatever extra mileage you get from the extra tank space.

[Profile] [Quote]
Kilomuse
Post subject: Re: The Federal Monarchy Of Tol GalenPosted: December 22nd, 2014, 2:31 am
Nice ships, but the 2nd drawing (Ikara conversion) is lacking the Ikara missile. I presume the system itself is in the compartment ahead of the bridge.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: The Federal Monarchy Of Tol GalenPosted: December 22nd, 2014, 8:56 am
I think 27-28kts would be feasible, but no more than that.

I'm not adding the 5in aft would be feasible from a trim point of view (though the SM-2 launcher forward might balance things out). There might be space by removing the towed array for the magazine but things are likely to be tight aft. The Leanders were never totally flexible ships, they lacked the growth margin and the space to accept major changes without sacrificing the guns or a decent SAM system. A bigger hull might help, but how much you could push that I'm not sure. After all the T82 began from Leander origins...

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: The Federal Monarchy Of Tol GalenPosted: December 22nd, 2014, 9:54 am
Kilomuse wrote:
Nice ships, but the 2nd drawing (Ikara conversion) is lacking the Ikara missile. I presume the system itself is in the compartment ahead of the bridge.
Yes, I'd forgotten to add it to the template :oops:
Hood wrote:
I think 27-28kts would be feasible, but no more than that.

I'm not adding the 5in aft would be feasible from a trim point of view (though the SM-2 launcher forward might balance things out). There might be space by removing the towed array for the magazine but things are likely to be tight aft. The Leanders were never totally flexible ships, they lacked the growth margin and the space to accept major changes without sacrificing the guns or a decent SAM system. A bigger hull might help, but how much you could push that I'm not sure. After all the T82 began from Leander origins...
Well Hood, from the description of right aft in Friedman that's where I imagined the Australian conversions would mount the 5"/54. I'd imagine you would indeed sacrifice the VDS (As I've done) to convert to magazine space although as you say the well is hardly that big. I suppose you've got the space Limbo once occupied too.

[Profile] [Quote]
Spike
Post subject: Re: The Federal Monarchy Of Tol GalenPosted: December 22nd, 2014, 4:36 pm
I know that I've never commented on any of your ships before, so my opinion may not carry much weight with you. However, I do see a problem with mounting the five-inch gun aft. The gun position seems to make a safe approach and landing for the helicopter almost impossible. I'm not even sure how much space the helicopter would have on deck with the blades unfolded.

I think that you could have the gun or the helicopter, but not both. Maybe the 76-mm gun would be a better fit?

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: The Federal Monarchy Of Tol GalenPosted: December 22nd, 2014, 4:50 pm
Spike wrote:
I know that I've never commented on any of your ships before, so my opinion may not carry much weight with you. However, I do see a problem with mounting the five-inch gun aft. The gun position seems to make a safe approach and landing for the helicopter almost impossible. I'm not even sure how much space the helicopter would have on deck with the blades unfolded.

I think that you could have the gun or the helicopter, but not both. Maybe the 76-mm gun would be a better fit?
often when a helicopter come in for a landing, they come sideways in, but the 5" do make it tight...

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: The Federal Monarchy Of Tol GalenPosted: December 22nd, 2014, 5:08 pm
Sniped by a Norwegian!

His point is correct, SOP is to approach from the port side on not from astern.

---

First off, welcome to the thread.

The only caveat that the Australians actually conceded when they were looking at doing this to their Rivers (new or modified) was that the hangar would be slightly shorter. Although these are stretched to begin with the hangar might well still need to come back slightly.
The actual position of the Mk.45 is somewhat hazy in the description given simply being referred to as 'Right aft' so it could have been even further back than I've depicted it assuming it's still within the confines of the limbo cut-out.
It's certainly possible to get both the helicopter and Mk.45 into the design with a degree of jiggery pokery. The problem is not having actual design sketches to work off makes this process somewhat more trial and error.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: The Federal Monarchy Of Tol GalenPosted: December 22nd, 2014, 5:15 pm
I leave the exact dimensioning to blackbuck, but having something that height on the stern is possible with helicopter operations if we look at the dutch variant: http://shipbucket.com/images.php?dir=Re ... jk%201.png

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: The Federal Monarchy Of Tol GalenPosted: December 22nd, 2014, 8:03 pm
Well done with those Leanders Blackbuck, and I also think that the aft position of the 5" gun is precarious to say the least. Also consider the below deck area for the mounting, taking into consideration the shafts tunnels.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 7 of 40  [ 398 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 15 6 7 8 940 »

Jump to: