adenandy
Post subject: Re: Kingdom of SalidePosted: January 6th, 2018, 11:41 pm
EXCELLENT work here Ezgo old man :!:

I can't wait to see more please :D

Andy.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Kingdom of SalidePosted: March 30th, 2019, 3:17 am
I'm back! Well, not really. All I have is a newer and updated map for Salide. Converted to Metric, terrain elevations recoloured, city names revised, and the completely new and refurbished bathymetric view. It's technically not complete yet, but it has the most important information and that is really all that is needed.

image removed

As well, for those that are curious, here is Salide is in relation to the rest of Europe (British Isles, really).

image removed

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

Last edited by ezgo394 on January 17th, 2021, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Kingdom of SalidePosted: March 30th, 2019, 8:54 pm
Welcome back!
Nice work with the map.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: TPRI Icebreaker WIP & New Salide MapPosted: November 28th, 2020, 7:11 am
Hi all. As it says on the signature, I'm not active on the forums much anymore, but I am still regularly working on my AUs. Along with Salide and Denton (both of which have gotten a huge revamp, Salide's Wiki page is cooking along, but Denton still needs to be updated), I've added two more countries to my repertoire: The Republic of Texas and, its neighbour, the Republic of the Rio Grande.

While chatting with Odysseus1980 about Polar programs, I decided to create one for Texas, the Texas Polar Research Institute, headquartered in Houston, Texas, but with a double-acting research ship based in Sterness, Salide, and the following icebreaker based in Rhone, Denton. In creating the program, I decided to have a go drawing my first ship in years, the Augustín Muñoz, named after the first Texan (fict.) to land on Antarctica.

This is my current progress. I've taken about a two month break from it and now, going forward, I'm hoping for some feedback on improvements and changes I can make. I do apologise for the Red. I based it off of that of the Aurora Australis, but this turned out very VERY RED.

[ img ]

Builder: hull built by Kerrach-Rathes Co. Ltd. (Seiskin, Salide), outfitted by San Jacinto Shipyard (Houston, Texas)
Build Date: 2000
Launched: 2003
Propulsion: 4x Dübs and Hughes diesel engines 2.7MW, powering two electric motors
Aircraft Carried: 1 Donnalley G.3 gyrodyne and 1 Worth U21P

Any feedback would be appreciated, there's a nagging feeling that something is just... off.

And as a treat, here's Salide's current map, 99.9% complete ;)
[ img ]

Note: I'll be changing the title of this Kingdom of Salide thread to The Salidan Altiverse, which is is composed of Salide, Denton, Texas, Rio Grande, and the slight changes in history that take place in this alternate setting. Any projects I post, if I do, will be posted in this thread.

If you want to check out my current (within 2 months) progress on my countries, check out the Wiki:
http://shipbucket.com/wiki/index.php/Salidan_Altiverse

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Salidan AltiversePosted: November 28th, 2020, 12:41 pm
VERY RED indeed, but do not bother about the color, just finished her! That red would help to make the ship more visible in a white environment.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Salidan AltiversePosted: November 29th, 2020, 6:56 pm
Thanks, Odysseus.

As an alternative, here she is with a grey hull. Which seems better?
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Salidan AltiversePosted: November 29th, 2020, 11:03 pm
Nice to see you back though I didn't realize you had "left" the forums (as your post and signature seem to state).

I think the red color is far too saturated to look nice -- I'd tone the saturation down and use the newer blue window color which gives an overall better effect.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Salidan AltiversePosted: December 5th, 2020, 2:31 am
Thanks, Colo. I updated my signature to say 'not very active,' which is closer to accurate.

I had a quick try on reducing the saturation and I feel it does fix the glaring red but I need further refinement to find the perfect colour. I'll also work on the anti-fouling red of the underwater hull as well.

I'll trawl the forums and find that new window shade. I need to update most of my icebreakers anyway, so I'll refresh the colours too.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Salidan AltiversePosted: January 15th, 2021, 12:39 am
Two ships from the shipyard. Sister ships, actually, with the hulls built in Seiskin, Salide by Kerrach-Rathes. A third ship of the same hull design was built for Hellas (odysseus1980) and their polar program.

[ img ]

RSAC (Royal Salidan Antarctic Commission) Tir-Bauth

Builder: Kerrach-Rathes Co. Ltd. (Seiskin, Salide)
Build Date: 1998
Launched: 2000

[ img ]

TPRI (Texas Polar Research Institute) Augustín Muñoz

Builder: hull built by Kerrach-Rathes Co. Ltd. (Seiskin, Salide), outfitted by San Jacinto Shipyard (Houston, Texas)
Build Date: 2000
Launched: 2003

Length: 114.8m
Beam: 21.3m
Draught: 7.5m
Max Speed: 17kt max, 3kt in 1m ice
Propulsion: 4x D&H diesel engines 2.7MW, powering two 5.2kw electric motors.
Ice Class: LL7
Tonnage: 13,300 tonnes
Endurance: 60 days
Complement: 42 crew, 40 scientists, 30 passengers, 10 rotorcraft detachment
Aircraft Carried: 1 Donnalley G.3 gyrodyne and 1 Worth U21P.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Salidan AltiversePosted: January 17th, 2021, 5:13 pm
All of the ground and air equipment used by the United Antarctic Program.

[ img ]

Donnalley G.3 Gyrodyne

The G.3 Gyrodyne was first introduced in 1963, by Donnalley Aerospace of Tramor, Salide. The initial design has seen many upgrades through the years, the most prominent of which is the silencers added to the rotor tip-jets, which reduced the noise from 115db to 95db. The implementation of more powerful engines and two forward facing propellers driven by the main engines to create quick forward movement have made the G.3 the most popular light helicopter in the United Antarctic Programme.

Crew: 1-2
Capacity: 7 passengers or 1000kg internally, 1200kg on external sling
Cruise Speed: 280kmh
Range: 600km
Hover Ceiling: 4200m

Worth U21P

The Worth U21 is a Texan mid-size helicopter, with a capability similar to that of a Bell 412 or Kamov 27. The base aircraft model was introduced in 1980, with a polar variant introduced in 1984. It is equipped with a co-axial rotor configuration and 4 wheel landing gear.

Crew: 2
Capacity: 16 passengers or 3500kg internally or 4000kg on external sling
Cruise Speed: 205kmh
Range: 1030km
Hover Ceiling: 5000m

Prudhomme AET Snow Tractor

The Antarctic Exploration Tractor is a mobile lab and dormitory used the DAS and RSAC. It is manufactured at the Prudhomme factory in Denton. The AET has been manufactured through 4 generations spanning 60 years. The 1st generation AET was built in 1960, inspired by the Soviet Kharovchankas. The design was simple with an artillery tractor cab in front and a large box housing accommodations and laboratory spaces in rear. The 2nd generation of AETs featured an entirely enclosed cab and living area, a redesigned chassis, and a more powerful engine. This second generation design was introduced in 1968, which the Soviets eventually took inspiration from for their 2nd generation Kharkovchankas. These 2nd generation AET designs soldiered on until 1995, when they were upgraded to 3rd generation (and several new 3rd gen units were produced). The 3rd generation featured upgraded living spaces and a more powerful engine. The 4th generation upgrade took place in 2019-2020, which again added a more powerful engine, further refined living spaces and the addition of up-to-date modern technologies including remote control capability for additional support tractors.

There are three 1st generation AETs working as cargo tractors, eight 4th generation AET cargo tractors, and twenty three 4th generation AETs working with Salide, Denton, and Texas, under the UAP banner.

Length: 9.3m
Width: 3.8m
Height: 4.0m
Engine: AIW 840kW, 2300Nm V8 bi-turbo (4th generation upgrade)
Cruise Speed: 30kmh
Weight: 35 tonnes
Tow Load: 70 tonnes
Interior Floor Space: 30m2
Accommodations: 8 bunks

With the 4th generation upgrades (2019), the AETs have built-in support for remotely controlling two Maccallan SnowTracs, allowing them to accompany an AET without requiring additional drivers.

Maccallan Beira Altrac

Named after the Salidan goddess of winter, the Beira is similar in dimensions and capability to the Sisu Nasu. It is a small articulated vehicle, primarily used for passenger transport. It is fully amphibious and able to haul 5 passengers in front (in addition to the driver) and 12 passengers in the rear unit. The rear passenger transport unit can be swapped for a flatbed with a crane, for light cargo duties.

Altrac is an acronym, All Terrain Amphibious Carrier. The first Beira Altrac was built in 1984, and offered for purchase in 1985.

Maccallan SnowTrac

Designed and built by Maccallan Equipment Co., based in Ballyveagh, Salide and produced under license by Oshiro Motors in Denton.

Used for transporting cargo via sledges or by spanning loads between two SnowTracs. The 3rd generation (2017) SnowTracs are capable of being controlled from a neighbouring unit, with up to two additional units being controlled from one SnowTrac cabin (through a built in controller system) by either the driver or a passenger.
Maccallan QuadTrac Polar

The Maccallan QuadTrac is a standard agricultural tractor. The DAS expressed interest in a large sledge tractor to haul components and supplies to and from its Bentley Station and Dome A Station and Telescope. Maccallan responded with an adaptation of the QuadTracP for use in the extreme Antarctic climes, with the primary changes being a larger fuel tank (bringing total capacity to 3150l), optimisation to run on the DAS Biofuel Blend, and a new heavly insulated cab that can hold up to 3 people. The new cab contains a fold down table along the back wall, with some small cabinets behind, which contain food stores, as well as small basic kitchen appliances. A self-contained toilet system is located underneath the folding table. The seats for the driver and passengers can fold down almost flat, providing a temporary bunk, allowing for drivers to switch without stopping.

While Maccallan does not offer its standard agricultural models with remote control, the QuadTrac Polar model was retrofitted with remote control capabilities in 2017, as is equipped in the SnowTrac. However, only one QuadTracP can be operated from the cab of another. Two SnowTracs can be controlled remotely from the cab of a QuadTracP, though not in conjunction with another remote QuadTracP.

The QuadTrac was introduced in 1992 and a Polar variant introduced in 1994.

Length: 7.4m
Width: 3.5m
Height: 3.8m
Engine: Maccallan 500kW I6 bi-turbo
Cruise Speed: 20kmh
Weight: 30 tonnes
Tow Load: 70 tonnes
Fuel Capacity: 1850 litres + 1300 litres

LeTourneau Antarctic Overland Train

The LeTourneau Antarctic Overland Train is an off-road, over-land articulated cargo carrier. It is the longest off-road vehicle in the world, able to reach a length of 192m through the use of a leading front unit, 10 cargo trailers, and two independent power units (placed in the middle and at the end).

The first AOTs were to be delivered to Siple Island Station to assist in the construction of the stations which would make up the Bentley Traverse in Marby Land in 1963. However, issues with transportation and some issues that arose from testing delayed the arrival of AOT-1 until 1964, and AOT-2 until 1965. AOT-1 and AOT-2 are owned by the Denton Antarctic Survey.

The third model, AOT-3 was purchased by the Denton Antarctic Survey, but given on permanent loan to the United States Antarctic Program in McMurdo. This was done to first assist in construction of the geodesic dome station at Amundsen–Scott South Pole Station and later for the elevated station beginning construction in 1999.

A fourth AOT, AOT-4 was purchased by the United Antarctic Programme as a joint venture and deployed to Novak Station, in the Larsemann Hills, in 1998, to assist in construction of the Dome A Observatory Station. It was at this time that AOT-2, at Siple Island, was shipped to Novak Station.

Due to the massive size of the Antarctic Overland Trains, they are continuously based at their home Antarctic station, with select units or components being packed and shipped to Texas only when an overhaul or major maintenance is required. The AOTs may go through multiple seasons in which they are not used, except for when they need to be repositioned to prevent being snowed in place.

Second generation upgrades were completed on all units between 2005 and 2013. These upgrades included the removal of the original Caddo V12 engines and their replacement with brand new Caddo V8 bi-turbo engines, which were lighter, produced more power, and used less fuel, therefore increasing the range of the AOTs. Other life extension upgrades were done, which included new electric motors and control systems, new tyres which were reformulated and optimised for the Antarctic conditions (using computer modelling), and a completely redesigned cockpit.

Front Unit Specifications

Length: 14.6m
Width: 5.0m
Height: 5.5m
Engine: 2x Caddo 520kW V12 turbo; 2nd generation upgrade - 2x Caddo 640kW V8 bi-turbo
Cruise/Max Speed: 30kmh/40kmh
Weight: typical 35 tonnes; 45 tonnes with internal fuel tanks at full capacity for increased range (at reduced speed of 20kmh to prevent tyre overheating)
Crew: 3 - driver, mechanic, co-driver

Power Unit Specifications

Length: 13.1m
Height: 4.4m
Engine: 2x Caddo 520kW V12 turbo; 2nd generation upgrade - 2x Caddo 640kW V8 bi-turbo
Weight: typical 25 tonnes; 35 tonnes with internal fuel tanks at full capacity for increased range (at reduced speed of 20kmh to prevent tyre overheating)

Trailer Specifications

Length: 13.1m
Height: 4.2m
Weight: empty 10 tonnes; typical load - 15 tonnes; max load - 30 tonnes (at reduced speed of 20kmh to prevent tyre overheating)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 10 of 10  [ 100 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 16 7 8 9 10

Jump to: