Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 10  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 810 »
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Kingdom of SalidePosted: March 30th, 2015, 6:28 am
Ahh, thanks Golly. Makes sense now. I've been retracing my steps and I found an entry in the Icebreaker Wiki page: "However, the bow propellers are not suitable for polar icebreakers operating in the presence of harder multi-year ice and thus have not been used in the Arctic." I can't believe I missed that little sentence!

Back to the drawing board! (I mean, all I have to do is remove the bow propellers and I should be set ;) )

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Kingdom of SalidePosted: March 30th, 2015, 7:38 am
That icebreaker looks good though, regardless of the bow propeller issue.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Kingdom of SalidePosted: March 30th, 2015, 7:40 am
yea, Np, you got solid design there otherwise, so just bit of tweaking and it should work fine

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Kingdom of SalidePosted: March 30th, 2015, 11:20 am
Gollevainen wrote:
(ahtojää in finnish, I dont know the proper english term)
That would be pack ice, or more specifically, pressure ridges, we don't have nice dedicated words for such stuff :P

Golly's right, bow props is a Baltic thing and rather limited to where the ice is not built up, hence it would be handy in large lakes, seas with no permanent ice cover. Propellers would have a hard time shifting oceanic ice which can be many years old, especially in the Arctic which can be a few meters thick and rather immense

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Kingdom of SalidePosted: March 30th, 2015, 3:46 pm
Thanks for your help, guys. :)

Here's the updated icebreaker (with the new flag added as well!)
[ img ]
RSCGS Salide
Builder: Koden-Wickes Ltd.
Build Date: 1962
Length: 298ft
Beam: 61ft
Draught: 22ft
Ice Class: 1A Super
Tonnage: 4,353 tons
Propulsion: 4 Engines, 3500hp each

Complement:
31 Crew
20 Scientist
4 Gyrodyne Detachment

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Kingdom of SalidePosted: March 30th, 2015, 6:48 pm
Didn't icebreaker with that hull type have 1 or 2 propellers in front?

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Kingdom of SalidePosted: March 30th, 2015, 10:23 pm
It did. But, you can check the last page and a half to see why it is not equipped with a bow prop anymore.

I just finished up the Flag of Salide. As I worked on it, it surprised me that there are many meanings that can be taken from the colors and the patterns that I've chosen, so it worked out quite well.

[ img ]
The Flag of Salide:
The Hoist's location on the left of the flag touches all colors of the tricolor, symbolizing unity of the three elements. The top band of the tricolor is symbolic of the land, providing for and protecting the people. The bottom band of the tricolor represents the foundation, the monarchy, the government that provides for the people. The center band has two meanings, peace and neutrality of the government and the people, as well as the peace between the government and the land it controls. The 8 point star signifies the unification of the 8 kingdoms in 842, as well as the unity of the other kingdoms and subsequently all the people.
The Tricolor also represents the 3 major islands, the Northwest island, the grand island, and the southeastern island, all touching the hoist and representing unity under one star.

Color Symbolism:
Green symbolizes the forests of the island and hope.
Orange symbolizes the land and creativity of the people.
White symbolizes peace and neutrality.
Black symbolizes the Government and the Monarchy.

Standards of the flag:
Flag Ratio: 10:23 (it is one of two flags that has a width more than twice it's height, the other being that of Qatar)
Hoist: 5/23rds the length of the flag
Tricolor: 18/23rds the length of the flag, space vertically in thirds.

Color: RGB (Hex)
Green: 000-154-073 (#009A49) - Hoist
Orange: 255-121-000 (#FF7900) - Top Tricolor
White: 255–255–255 (#FFFFFF) - Center Tricolor
Black: 000-000-000 (#000000) - Bottom Tricolor

[Profile] [Quote]
Seapuppy1
Post subject: Re: Kingdom of SalidePosted: April 4th, 2015, 5:17 am
Hey man I was wondering where you got the map for Salide? is it on on a website that creates maps? or was it custom built?

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Kingdom of SalidePosted: April 4th, 2015, 5:48 am
Drawn by me in the course of several months.
I used PaintXP for the drawing. The first thing I did was figure out the shape of the islands, drawing it on paper with a pen. After adding the cities where I wanted them, I held the paper up to my screen and traced the lines with the pencil tool in Paint (it's an effective technique for someone who's too cheap to buy a scanner/printer). Cleaned up the lines and traced basic terrain elevations in (along with all those damn little islands). After that (this was the worst part) I had to add all the little terrain features pixel by pixel (that's what took me the longest) and the finished product is what you see on page one.

It's not something that happened overnight. It required patience more than skill (although the skill part does help. I've drawn quite a few maps over the past 6 years and this is my best). If you want a map like this, you just gotta draw it. Trust me, I've looked for a map design program (actually, I was just looking for inspiration) but there aren't any. You can find map ideas on an Image search, or the best thing is to just look at Google or Bing Maps. The map for my Federal Republic of Denton AU was inspired by rotating New Zealand, and the rest just fell into place.
I must say, that oftentimes when I create a map, I feel it's best to immerse myself into the AU I'm creating before drawing the map. Drive around, look at the scenery (yes, all in my head), get a feel for the nature of the AU. Then come up with city names, place them into clusters and imagine small chunks of coast lines relative to the cities. Then draw it out and connect the lines. You'll be surprised at what you can come up with.
One last thing, and possibly the most important (although I kind of ignored it with Salide) is to look at where you want your map to be and look at the underwater profiles. Just by determining where your landmass is placed relative to plate tectonics can drastically define the shape, and even help you design the basic outline.

Well, sorry for that ramble, but i hope I got my point across ;) .

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Kingdom of SalidePosted: April 4th, 2015, 6:07 am
Sorry for the double-post.

Here's the next Salidan project.
[ img ]
This was primarily inspired by the Russian Vaygach IB, however, I don't want to completely copy Vaygach. Really, I'm posting this to see if anyone has some ideas or something for the amidships area.
I'm also debating Nuclear propulsion. Salide has the capability to install and operate Nuclear powered ships, so its not an issue, I just can't make up my mind.

RSCGNS Something
Builder: Götaverken (Sweden), outfitted by Koden-Wickes Ltd.
Build Date: 1991
Length: 457ft
Beam: 92ft
Draught: 29.5ft
Ice Class: LL1 or LL8
Tonnage: 18,959 tons

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 10  [ 100 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 810 »

Jump to: