Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 25 of 39  [ 390 posts ]  Go to page « 123 24 25 26 2739 »
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: RebootPosted: August 16th, 2016, 11:53 am
Krakatoa wrote:
I like the hull guns and idea. But your designers have to be some of the worst ever employed by any navy. To make the amount of errors listed in your write up to the point where a brand new light cruiser requires bulges to regain stability requires a firing squad in your designers future. The Contuirt of 1950 is what the whole class should have been designed too. Have a look at the Italian Capitani Romani for a bit of inspiration.
Sounds like the entire 1930s Japanese navy.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: RebootPosted: August 16th, 2016, 12:22 pm
At least the Japanese had the decency to commit hari kari, Karle94.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: RebootPosted: August 16th, 2016, 1:06 pm
Well, the fact the Cuiteamhs only needed some bulge and ballast at least makes them a more succesful design than the Mogami, Hatsuharu or Chidori classes.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: RebootPosted: August 16th, 2016, 2:03 pm
So that only makes the Thiarian cruiser design the fourth worst in the world BB1987? Glad to know you agree with me.

Somebody with missile knowledge should also take a look at the proposed missile conversions, and give some decent feedback.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: RebootPosted: August 16th, 2016, 3:40 pm
Well, the GMLS is not the Mk 11, it's the Mk 13 with a way overscale missile on the ramp.
That said, the Mk 13 is the way to go, but I'm dubious about the choice of directors. I'll leave whether or not they'll actually work with Tartar up to someone who knows more about that, but I sincerely doubt the parts commonality is going to outweigh the increased logistical footprint inherent in such heavy systems.
And frankly with four ships and eight(?) systems in total you're not going to get much economy of scale in either training or supply.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: RebootPosted: August 17th, 2016, 9:43 pm
Fantastic work!

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: RebootPosted: August 18th, 2016, 12:28 am
Krakatoa wrote:
I like the hull guns and idea. But your designers have to be some of the worst ever employed by any navy. To make the amount of errors listed in your write up to the point where a brand new light cruiser requires bulges to regain stability requires a firing squad in your designers future. The Contuirt of 1950 is what the whole class should have been designed too. Have a look at the Italian Capitani Romani for a bit of inspiration.
Perfect designs aren't any fun and don't make sense historically. I don't really get why you're constantly berating AU artists to design these ships "perfectly" when history shows us that nearly every ship ever designed had numerous flaws, some more than others. Especially ships designed prior to the second world war.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: RebootPosted: August 18th, 2016, 12:47 am
I totally agree Colo, the designers were designing to limits, and knew those limits before they ever put pen to paper. The Dido's, Atlanta's, the Japanese ships mentioned all had stability problems. But none of the designs in real life ever had half the problems that GD has installed in his designs. That does not make these designs any more realistic as you all go on about it just makes them worse. A well executed drawing of a dog is still a dog. All the 'awesomes' and 'greats' and other superlatives does not turn a design of a dog into anything other than a dog.

GD is one of SB's better artists as a designer he sucks more often than he gets it right. The only thing I can put it down to is that he is using Springsharp for his designs. That would certainly turn half a decent design into a dog.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: RebootPosted: August 18th, 2016, 12:58 am
Let's also remember that this is a ship DRAWING forum and not a design forum, as Gollevainen often has to remind us. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Thiaria: RebootPosted: August 18th, 2016, 7:42 am
I don't know if GD is using SS or not, he certainly doesn't post reports for them if he does. I think he mainly uses real world examples to work from.
Even if he is using SS, the important question is does the sim come before or after the drawing? There is a lot of difference in making the picture fit the sim or the sim fit the picture.

On a 2-D drawing the beam is whatever GD tells us it is. I think he likes a complicated backstory so he can cram in as many variants and ideas as he can, hence the 'crappy' designs which need fixing and rebuilding.
I still think this AU is the number one in terms of quality, although the Koryo and Texas AUs are pushing close second and third.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 25 of 39  [ 390 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 123 24 25 26 2739 »

Jump to: