Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 18 of 28  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page « 116 17 18 19 2028 »
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: January 4th, 2021, 6:46 am
Spruance and Kidd were designed with hangar for 2 Sea King (which is not a small helicopter), with ~17m beam. My cruiser has larger hangar for 2 Super Frelon and has also a Mk26 mod 2 in front of superstructure. The USN destroyers mentioned had 86,000 hp from 4 GE LM2500 with max speed about 33kn , your cruiser would need 110,000-120,000 hp for the speed of 36kn. Again, my Nikiforos Fokas is powered by 4 RR Olympus TM3C each 29,600 hp for >36 kn max.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: January 4th, 2021, 9:22 am
1 sea king or 2 sea sprite actually ;)

And I am really not certain why your AU cruiser is relevant in this discussion tbh?

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: January 4th, 2021, 2:06 pm
Size in proportion with armament.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: January 5th, 2021, 11:24 pm
I have done some adjustment it is still A WIP, since there is more I need to adjust from previous discussion. but if there is something more.

Adjusted for now:

1. tot. length change. extended aft, section with a larger hangar, to give space for a "better" equipped repair facility or the infamous third helicopter, extended bow a little, make here look more balanced. Now she is just over 179 meters
2. removed center ASuW launcher and replaced it with more air-intake, so now the air intake layout is:
a. aft air intake and starboard funnel air intake is for aft engine room.
b. forward air intake and port funnel air intake is for forward engine room
3. removed Mk.29
4. changed and rotated aft Mk.26
5. moved propeller more aft and a slight adjustment to the propeller shaft

considering to add:
- RHIB at forward air intake
- extend aft section by 1-2 meter to make helicopter deck 1-2 meter bigger

todo:
- ?
- Thinking that Type 2 version some are a sub-variant of type 1. should have a Phased-rotating radar forward or a different radar above the funnel, to show that there is a new radar there, but still keep teh old long range 2D radar, but as an upgraded unit.
- Type 2. a few newer and larger coms.
- taking advantage of VLS (40 aft, 64 forward, event 40+40+tactical length 8+8) or should I drop that in as a Type 3 variant, that is more or less a new design on same hull, but sharing some minor details

engine room layout, for now:
- Two main turbine engine room (water-tight), that technically is split in three, technically...
- One main diesel generator room and work-shop forward.
- two small generator room port and starboard forward (they are not connected to each other and build in to it's own watertight compartment
- one generator room aft, connected with rudder.
- Have that strange/funny idea of hiding a small helicopter style turbine, up in the funnel, as the last resort generator! :shock: :?

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: January 6th, 2021, 12:51 am
I think she is OK now.

Only thing which needs redesign is that funnel. With that exhaust configuration IR signature is high. An idea could be to design something similar with Lutjens Class DDG, in form 2 flat wings each side of rear radar which would contain exhausts. Look also in Cavour Class carrier for inspiration.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: January 8th, 2021, 7:14 pm
A small adjustment.

Made the Helicopter deck, slightly bigger??!!! Now she is 181.5 meter long!

The funnel:
Thinking about splitting the funnel a bit more, at the moment the entire center-section of the funnel is for cooling of the funnel "tower" itself whit the idea of cooling down the fume... Probably a few degrees Celsius... it's better than nothing at all. (I had the funny idea of water cooling the funnels "boiler"-style! but it would just be to complex... unless I cheat and say it's an simple system, that circulate some sort of inert gas!)

I am also thinking about make a passage ways between the funnels and the radar mast, I could then reflect heat from the funnels in-between there to give some heat reduction... but I would be lucky it that even work... better to have it as now, with a purpose-build cooling system, that just heat exchange with the sea for example.

One problem have always many solution, it just come down to what compromises you want. All design are full of compromises and budget restrictions!

[ img ]

Two side Question:

1. Tico's was armed with 2 Mk26 mod 5 (44 missiles). Later on they had 2 Mk-41 VLS (61 cell). The Question is, was some of them upgraded from Mk-26 or was they build from ground up with Mk-41 (I know there some Mk-26 Tico's that was scraped)?

2. On my drawing I have at the moment a Mk-26 mod 2, I gonna replace it with a mod 5, next time. I wonder would I be crazy, if I move ASuW launcher to the Hangar roof angle them more forward. and in-between them place 1 Mk-11 GMLS or be funny and place a Mk-12 GMLS that only fires Harpoons :lol: :? :? is that to crazy. (I don't know the weight of those system, but I bet they are heavy) (Seaforce.org says that Mk-11 GMLS can fire Harpoon... must be damn slow)

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: January 8th, 2021, 7:46 pm
https://www.alternatewars.com/BBOW/Weapons/US_GMLS.htm

Here you will found info on all US missile launchers.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: January 9th, 2021, 1:36 am
This iteration is much, much more reasonable. There's still stuff I'd do differently, but it's not my drawing :)

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: January 9th, 2021, 2:02 am
erik_t wrote: *
This iteration is much, much more reasonable. There's still stuff I'd do differently, but it's not my drawing :)
thanks.

I bet you would split the funnel more apart and either dump or move or replace the 40mm, are among the things

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Caledonia??Posted: January 9th, 2021, 11:47 am
Heuhen is the master of drawing big ships, nobody else quite masters the oversized super-capable ship.
Its a a functional looking ship, slightly overkill in weapons but a capable top-end cruiser.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 18 of 28  [ 271 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 116 17 18 19 2028 »

Jump to: