Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 27 of 27  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page « 123 24 25 26 27
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Mister McKinley's Navy.Posted: April 20th, 2017, 12:27 am
If that's the case, that's some weird design all right

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Mister McKinley's Navy.Posted: April 20th, 2017, 7:57 am
Hi Tobius!

The drawing is not so far off, although the name is wrong. There were two units in the class, SMS Kaiser and SMS Deutschland; Kaiser was later renamed Uranus and Deutschland became Jupiter to free their names for new ships. There was no unit named König in this class. The picture below represents Deutschland; Kaiser differed in Details (I'd have to dig up my old copy of Gröner to make a scan).

[ img ]

Dimensions were 89,34m LOA, 19,1m beam and 7,65m load draught (I have not checked the drawing if the length-draught ratio fits; the hull looks a tad too deep). Both were considered good seaboats with pleasant movements and excellent maneuverability by the German Navy (admittedly, German expectations in those regards were lower than those of the RN; still, there were a lot of German ships which were rated considerably worse). As the main armament was in the armoured battery, with a full waterline belt being provided as well, weights were relatively low in the ship (no heavy turrets!), so her height should not be much of a problem. If you compare her to sail Men-of-War or modern cruise ships (or other people's iron warships of the same era), she does not stand out as overly high.

PS Tobius - before you draw a ship from a photograph, try ask for sources in the sources and references thread. You'll frequently get ignored, but sometimes it works ;) . It's remarkable how many detailed drawings are around in the www that a google search just won't show.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: Mister McKinley's Navy.Posted: April 22nd, 2017, 10:08 am
Thanks, GarlicDesign. Life interferes, so I had to set my "ahem" render aside for the nonce, I suppose I confused Kaiser with Koenig. Anyway, I wanted to complete the drawings of some of the main ships von Diederichs had on hand at Manila Bay.

I will take your advice about the drawings to heart.

Once I finish those renders, good, bad or indifferent, I believe that all that I have to say about Mr. McKinley's Navy will be done.

====================================

P.S. Thanks for the assistance. It is appreciated.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 27 of 27  [ 263 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 123 24 25 26 27

Jump to: