Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 24 of 27  [ 263 posts ]  Go to page « 122 23 24 25 26 27 »
Tobius
Post subject: Re: Mister McKinley's Navy.Posted: March 19th, 2017, 9:59 am
[ img ]

And some more artillery.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: Mister McKinley's Navy.Posted: March 20th, 2017, 4:28 pm
[ img ]

And yet more artillery.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: Mister McKinley's Navy.Posted: March 21st, 2017, 6:04 pm
[ img ]

I wondered what they might look like. So I looked at a combination of German and British period practice and combined the two with a few flourishes of my own. I call them "Browncoats". Darth Panda gets credit because I tried to follow his template format when I laid my own models out. Credit where it is due.

[Profile] [Quote]
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: Mister McKinley's Navy.Posted: March 21st, 2017, 7:40 pm
Pretty cool stuff!

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: Mister McKinley's Navy.Posted: March 23rd, 2017, 1:00 am
[ img ]

Darth Panda is credited for the template. The models are mine.

Black gang = Engineering Department (grey)
Gun bunnies = Weapons Department (red)
Croaker gang = Medical Department (light blue)
Deck Apes = Deck Department (purple)
Green gang = Service Department (green); cooks, cleaners, and anyone who does not fit into the other departments.

The derogatory terms (green gang for gangrene for example) are the terms the sailors use for each other's departments. The officers are lumped into a separate class called the "gold bugs" or "garden gnomes" because of the funny gold braid and silly hats they wear, while every chief in this man's navy is either a "red bull" or an "ox" depending on whether he's on the ball or just a "stuffed hat" as the sailors figure him.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: Mister McKinley's Navy.Posted: March 23rd, 2017, 3:08 am
[ img ]

I have a good reason for thinking that American gunners would be issued pith helmets instead of kepis, forage caps or cowboy hats.

Working guns is hot work and working around guns produces a lot of flying debris as a side product without anyone shooting at you. Some kind of tropical headgear that cools a hot head and protects against occasional debris kicked up by bucking guns is necessary. The answer in 1898 is the old pith helmet.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Mister McKinley's Navy.Posted: March 23rd, 2017, 2:12 pm
I've always been a fan of the pith helmet. Also keep in mind that this is during the age when heat injuries weren't fully understood (colonial Europeans insisted for example that red-colored cloth reflected heat) and things like "spine pads" and "cholera belts" existed.

A lightweight pith helmet (or "solar topee" as they seemed to be called) doesn't provide anymore splinter protection than a hat contrary to popular belief but there's definitely precedent for its use by American troops. US Army and Marine personnel wore them quite a bit up until World War II. But the classic "campaign hat" is far more American in style!

[ img ]

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: Mister McKinley's Navy.Posted: March 23rd, 2017, 3:26 pm
I like the peaked saucer campaign hat myself. Hence most of the line troops will wear it in this AU.

http://www.snyderstreasures.com/eBay/Im ... CN0199.JPG

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l800/pi ... 6397_1.jpg

I still don't see where Worsley got the idea for his cork hat. Maybe from those German helmets of the 1840s?

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: Mister McKinley's Navy.Posted: March 23rd, 2017, 4:34 pm
[ img ]

I thought we would pick up where I left off with von Dederichs and Dewey. The USS Oneida, for example, when we last left her was hors de combat (out of action) after the duel with El Fraile, so Dewey is down a cruiser as of 15 September 1898.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: Mister McKinley's Navy.Posted: March 25th, 2017, 2:37 am
[ img ]

This is a work in progress. I have three different illustrations and none of them agree. But this is what the USS Omaha is supposed to shoot at in the Irene Incident.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 24 of 27  [ 263 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 122 23 24 25 26 27 »

Jump to: