In 1916, with the War in Europe in its third year, the Texas Navy commissioned 5 additional submarines built in the United States. The "3" Class, as they were originally known, were more capable than the first two submarines in commission:
Constructed to the US Navy's L Class parameters, they had 4 forward facing 18" torpedo tubes. War load was 8 torpedoes (four ready in the tubes and 4 reloads). They had an operating range of 4500 miles at 7 knots, with a maximum surface speed of 14 knots.
Five were delivered to the Texas Navy, and the preceding "1" Class were relegated to submarine crew training until Texas enters WWI a year later.