Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 17 of 20  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page « 115 16 17 18 19 20 »
rifleman2
Post subject: Re: Alternate Royal Navy #2Posted: April 12th, 2022, 1:49 pm
the chester class could have made interesting Northern Ireland Patrol Squadron vessels.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Alternate Royal Navy #2Posted: April 15th, 2022, 8:14 am
Great looking drawings! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Alternate Royal Navy #2Posted: May 2nd, 2022, 3:22 pm
This post is slightly different as it focuses on missiles rather than ships.
As my OP sets out, the scenarios offered here are 'plug and play' and so not all options would be taken at the same time but rather this is a coverage of my AU ideas. Lots of these missiles are real or are real projects but some of them are inventions of my own.
These are drawn in Soldierbucket scale as FD scale doesn't allow for good detailing of smaller missiles.

So without further ado a potted history of British missiles.

3in RP based Missiles
[ img ]

Artemis - real project, a 3in RP with a simple radar-wave reflection homing head spinning counter-rotation to the missile body with a basic drag brake in the nosecone to bring the missile within the beam of the host night-fighter's AI radar
Ben - real project, two 3in RP mounted together with wings and nose cone with puffer control jets, the wing-tips contain photoelectric cells to keep the missile within a searchlight beam, suitable for land and ship-based launch
Ben Mk.2 - real proposal, the photoelectric cells are replaced by radar-receivers to keep the missile within the radar beam

Firestreak/ Red Top
[ img ]

Firestreak - real missile
Red Top Mk.1 - real missile
Blue Dolphin - based on real Blue Dolphin and Radar Red Top projects, CW radar guidance compatible with a J-band AI.23 and the older AI.18 radar, shares the liquid-fuel motor of the Red Top Mk.2
Red Top Mk.2 - real project, a new encapsulated liquid-fuel motor for increased range and reversion to the faceted nosecone over an improved IR-seeker

Blue Steel
[ img ]

Blue Steel Mk.1 - real missile
Blue Steel Mk.2 - real proposal, the W.114 with the Stentor replaced by four Bristol BRJ.824 ramjets and two extended Gosling boosters for Mach 3 cruising speed
Blue Steel Mk.3 - real Blue Steel Low Level proposal, the Stentor replaced by a Viper turbojet for longer-range at low-altitude

Sea Cat
[ img ]

Sea Cat - real missile
Tigercat - real missile
Hellcat - real project, a helicopter-launched Sea Cat for an anti-boat role
Wildcat - AU missile, a Sea Cat with a HEAT warhead, for launch by Tigercat batteries, Ferret scout cars and Army Air Corps helicopters
Sea Cat 2 - real project, a supersonic development designed to use as much Sea Cat equipment as possible

Bloodhound
[ img ]

QF.169 Bloodhound II - real missile
RO.166 Bloodhound III - real project, historically cancelled in 1960 and feeding into the QF.169. A command-guided variant (guided with 2x Yellow River ground radars and the Argus computer) with a 5-10kT Indigo Hammer fission warhead with a limited ABM capability. In this AU both are developed roughly side-by-side, due to lack of fission material numbers of Bloodhound would be low.

Rapier
[ img ]
ET.316 Rapier - real missile
Rapier FSC - real missile
Sabre - real concept, an air-to-ground missile using the laser seeker from the Copperhead artillery round combined with the Trigat ATGW dual-warhead, lost out to Brimstone historically
Sabre AAMS (Anti-Armour Missile System) - AU weapon, a land-based Sabre fired from standard Rapier launchers to give them a dual SAM/ATGW role

Sea Dart
[ img ]

Sea Dart - real missile
Sea Dart Mk.2 - real project, revised electronics to save weight and space for additional fuel, improved guidance and ECCM, Thrust Vector Control added to an extended Chow booster - which in my AU would give VLS capability (as seen on my Type 43 above)
Sea Dart SSM - real concept, I've tweaked this with an active-radar seeker, would be carried alongside Sea Dart rounds in the magazine
Guardian - real project - a land-based Sea Dart to replace Bloodhound during the 1970s

Confessor (Sea Wolf)
[ img ]

GW.25 Confessor - is the real GW.26 Sea Wolf VLS, Confessor was the original project name
GW.27 Active Confessor - is the real GW.27 Active Sea Wolf project, an active-radar seeker added
Wolverine - real concept, a real land-based project with an ABM capability, in my AU this is based on the GW.27 Active Confessor, would be a weapon for the 1980s, between a later Bloodhound replacement and replaced by Sky Sabre in the 2020s (see below).

Blue Water
[ img ]

Blue Water - real project, inertial guidance and a 10kT 'Tony' fission warhead, truck-launched
Blue Water ALCM - real proposal, an air-launched version with detachable tailcone to reduce drag and an upgraded inertial system

WE.177/ Cub
[ img ]

WE.177B - real bomb
Cub A - real project, the One Club A was a BAC proposal for a Deterrence gap filler following the cancellation of Skybolt, it was a WE.177 bomb with a Raven rocket motor, unguided, the Air Staff quite liked the idea for TSR.2
Cub D - real concept, a concrete-filled dummy round to saturate Soviet air defences

Martel
[ img ]

AS.37 Martel - real missile, radar-homing for SEAD
AJ.168 Martel - real missile, TV-guided
P3T Sea Eagle - real missile
P5T Sea Eagle - real missile, 2x Wagtail rocket boosters for helicopter-launch and cannister-launch from Fast Patrol Boats
P4T Cruise Eagle - real project, cruise missile (Cruise Eagle is my AU name)
P6T Golden Eagle - real project, imaging IR seeker and datalink guidance, cruise missile (P6T is my AU designation)
Ship Martel - real project, Martel with an active radar seeker and sea-skimming capability, boost rocket for cannister-launch
Underwater-to-Surface Guided Weapon (USGW) - real project, a submarine-launched anti-ship missile

Sea Skua
[ img ]

Sea Skua - real missile
Sea Skuarm - AU missile, a passive radar homing missile using Sky ARM technology to provide RN Lynx helicopters with a SEAD capability, service entry in 1990 in time for Desert Storm

Sky Flash
[ img ]
XJ.521 Sky Flash - real missile
Active Sky Flash/ Rb.73 - real project, Thomson-CSF active-radar seeker and revised fins to reduce drag, developed in cooperation with Sweden
ARM Flash - AU missile, a HARM analogue for the RAF to augment the unpopular AS.37 Martel, similar seekers and proximity fuzing retained, in service by 1980
Sea Flash - AU missile but based on real concept, a Sky Flash with folding fins for NATO Sea Sparrow System

Taildog
[ img ]

Taildog/SRAAM - real project, TVC and IR-guidance, fired from a tube-cannister, this is the original Hawker Siddeley Dynamics SRAAM concept
Tailsting/SRATM (Short-Range Anti-Tank Missile) - AU weapon, a Taildog fitted with a laser seeker for anti-armour use
Tailarm/SRARM - real project, a short-range ARM to give fighter-bombers self-defence capability against SAM sites (Tailarm is my AU name)
Typhoon - real project, was a SRAAM/ASRAAM with the Trigat ATGW dual-warhead, historically lost out to Brimstone
SHIELD - real project, a naval SAM version of the basic missile

Meteor
[ img ]

Meteor - real missile
JNAAM/ Meteor 2 - real project, developed in cooperation with Japan with the AESA seeker from the Mitsubishi Electric AAM-4B, some airframe changes for easier internal carriage aboard the Lockheed Martin F-35
Meteor SEAD - AU missile based on real concepts, a radar-seeking ARM to replace ALARM
Meteor LAM - AU missile based on a real concept, a strike/SEAD missile with a multimode radar seeker
Sea Meteor - AU missile, a Meteor married to an ASTER-30 booster to provide a long-range AAM with ABM capability (as seen on my Type 45 above)

Brimstone
[ img ]

Brimstone - real missile
Brimstone 2 - the real dual-mode Brimstone
Sea Spear - real missile, a shore/boat-launched anti-boat missile
Spear 3 - real missile missile under development, an extended-range weapon with a turbofan and flip-out wings
Spear EW - real project, SEAD version with passive radar emission homing
Glide Spear - real proposal, an engineless Spear relying on gliding for range

CAMM
[ img ]

CAMM-A/ASRAAM 2 - AU weapon, originally CAMM included an AAM but instead CAMM technology was used to upgrade ASRAAM. In this AU with Taildog forming ASRAAM, CAMM with an IR-seeker is a new AAM for the 2010s.
CAMM/Sea Ceptor - real missile
CAMM-ER/ Sea Ceptor ER - real missile (Sea Ceptor ER is my AU name)
CAMM/Land Ceptor/ Sky Sabre - real missile
CAMM-ER/ Land Ceptor ER - real missile (Land Ceptor ER is my AU name)
CAMM-S/ Sea Spear - AU weapon, a CAMM with a TV/IR-guidance for land strike
CAMM-SER/ Sea Spear ER - AU weapon, a CAMM-ER with a TV/IR-guidance for land strike (as seen on my AU Type 45 and later frigates above)
CAMM-S/ Sabot - AU weapon, a land-based Sea Spear for precision strike
CAMM-SER/ Sabot ER - AU weapon, a land-based Sea Spear ER for precision strike

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
rifleman2
Post subject: Re: Alternate Royal Navy #2Posted: May 2nd, 2022, 4:07 pm
Very nice loving the missiles, will you be revisiting sea skua to do the surface launched version?
and will you also be looking at the various shorts products, Blowpipe, Javelin, Javelin S15/Starburst, Starstreak and LMM?

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Alternate Royal Navy #2Posted: May 3rd, 2022, 7:19 am
I don't think that the surface-fired Sea Skua differed much from the standard version.
I might add some more missiles lately, good refs for later types are sometimes harder to find.

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Alternate Royal Navy #2Posted: May 3rd, 2022, 9:32 am
Nice to see this collection of AU British missiles.

Some questions :

Would your Britain develop its own VLS, which like Mk41 would combine Sea Dart VL, Sea Wolf VL and Sea Flash? Or the Sea Flash would be developed for Mk29 or Mk41/Mk48?

Which aircraft would be the platform for Blue Water ACLM?

I think that I have seen the Blue Steel concepts before. Would be launched by Vulcan like in real world?

How about a Land Flash similar with real life Skyguard?

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Alternate Royal Navy #2Posted: May 3rd, 2022, 1:02 pm
Thanks odysseus1980.
Some answers to your questions:

- So far my AU ships seem to have gone down the road of separate Sea Dart and Sea Wolf VLS tubes - if I was to go all out on a retcon I'd probably make a Mk41-type VLS suitable for Sea Dart/Sea Wolf/Martel but that would need some changes for a new common Sea Dart/Martel booster. Sea Flash doesn't show up on my ships as I have enough light SAMs as it is - but consider it an alternative replacement for Sea Cat.
- not sure as my aircraft are undecided for this AU, probably the TSR.2 but not ruling out hanging 2-4 of these off a Vulcan/Victor either.
- yes they were intended for the Vulcan B.2 and Victor B.2
- I hadn't considered a Land Flash (I'd quite forgotten about Skyguard!), but yes its a possible option.

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Alternate Royal Navy #2Posted: May 3rd, 2022, 1:25 pm
Martel could use separate launchers, I have done it playing with ships from this AU.

Actually this VLS I had in mind, 2 separate VLS with small tubes for Sea Wolf and large tubes for Sea Dart, all together like real life Sea Wolf.

I have imagined the British Land Flash, similar with real life never where PT.428 but with 4 tubes.

[Profile] [Quote]
rifleman2
Post subject: Re: Alternate Royal Navy #2Posted: May 3rd, 2022, 3:44 pm
would interesting seeing ALARM missile.

[Profile] [Quote]
Morten812
Post subject: Re: Alternate Royal Navy #2Posted: May 4th, 2022, 6:16 pm
some really cool drawings you've done here, which made me think back

You did back in 2011 in your 'Alternative Postwar Royal Navy', a Type 82 Bristol class nuclear destroyer that had a longrange version of the Sea Dart fitted with a large rocket booster and a special Sub Dart, a bit like a British version of the ASROC - it would be cool to see them in this soldier scale if you bothered to draw them too.

Your original post clipped in, with totally ruined photobucket image - I really loved and still love your design of a Type 82.
Hood wrote: *
The RN goes nuclear;
[ img ]

The Type 82 destroyer was designed as an aerial-defence ship to replace the four Admiral Class conversions. The ship was designed around the NIGS system. NIGS (New naval Guided weapons System), comprised a long-range missile to counter a Mach 3 target flying at 70,000ft. It was allied to the Type 985 phased-array 3-D radar (in effect a digital tranisitorised Type 984). Guidance was by four navalised Type 87 radars (used for land-based missiles) which became the Type 909. The Admiralty also wanted a new medium-range SAM which became SIGS (Small ship Intergrated Guided weapon System). Bristol developed a ramjet powered missile to meet both programmes, the basic SIGS medium-range missile (aka the Sea Dart) and from it made a long-range missile with a large rocket booster with a range performance equal to the US Talos. Shortly after development began interest was raised in the Australian Ikara stand-off ASW weapon, Bristol then won a contract with Sub Dart, basically the NIGS booster attached to a new forward homing-torpedo section to create a surface-launched SUBROC-style weapon. The bow sonar was the Type 1001, based on SSN sets for long-range search and attack capability. Due to the sheer electrical needs of the four Type 985 arrays and sonar nuclear power was the only option and a UK-built US powerplant was used. Other armament comprised a single 3in L/70 automatic mount, two qaudruple SeaCat 2 supersonic short-range SAM launchers and a Wessex in a hangar aft. Four ships were built, commissioning between 1973 and 1978.

Morten Jensen
Randers
Denmark

Traffic Manager

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 17 of 20  [ 191 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 115 16 17 18 19 20 »

Jump to: