Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 11  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 511 »
Karle94
Post subject: Re: US Light Cruiser PhiladelphiaPosted: June 20th, 2016, 6:59 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
Except my friend Karle94, your's is NOT the CA-26 Northampton! I leave it to you tofigure that one out...(I know you will!)
It's using the Portland hull so I know it's not a true representation of the Northampton, and I have never said it is. I did however use high res photos from 1930 to make it, so it is still usable to show what an early American treaty cruiser looks like.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: US Light Cruiser PhiladelphiaPosted: June 20th, 2016, 9:46 pm
Karle94: you're taking liberties with the truth! Of course you DID claim it was the Northampton! Why even deny that? First of all you claim it on the very template which states as follows: "USA: Northampton Class USS Northampton CA-26 (1930) and here's your direct quote to TristanAlting:
Quote:
Here's a couple of us cruisers you can look at, namely the Northampton CA and Pensacola class CL
Now, obviously the latter member is not too familiar with proper US designs, so giving him this false one, and notstating it in a proper way, I think, at least, is dishonest. - and, while your drawing (as all your drawings!) do possess certain artistic value, it doesn't appropriately represent a REAL US design of the period; not the way Brock's and mine does, with all due respect! Your bridge, for instance, is clumsily executed, and would benefit from further research and work. Your hull also have some oddities, that, if viewed in a 3-D-scope would've casted a curious view on the shape of that hull; especially with regards to the aft floatplane area.

Your Pensacola is passable, although it lacks in detail and omission of certain features. (But nothing that cannot be added!)

Besides, do you know what particular feature I was referring to to make your "Northampton" into even a superficially passable such?You never answered that one! 8-) ;)

(I'm going to this length, since I think we ought to, being something of senior members with certain artistic and experiential advantage, to provide our newcomers, especially those that may not have the deep fount of knowledge that I know you possess, and that I believe, in all modesty I do too, the very best of help if they're struggling! - Itshould not be construed as any form of criticism of your abilities or taken as a personal attack!)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: US Light Cruiser PhiladelphiaPosted: June 20th, 2016, 10:24 pm
I wouldn't personally hold up either of those drawings as pristine examples of Shipbucket work, but what do I know?

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: US Light Cruiser PhiladelphiaPosted: June 20th, 2016, 10:42 pm
The differance would be that mine is an AU version of the Northampton using the hull of the Portland so it could have extra armor so it would be useful as a heavy cruiser. Although I never used the Northampton as referance, I did use USS Louisville as seen here https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _Green.jpg

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: US Light Cruiser PhiladelphiaPosted: June 21st, 2016, 5:14 am
Well, Colo, with all due respect, you're entitled to your opinion, of course, for I never said it was a "pristine" example. However, I DO know and am sure that the three versions of the flagship version of the Northampton-class that Brockpaine initially began, and I finished are extremely well-researched drawings! Every detail can be justified and explained!

Anyway, Karle94, why could you not just have told us that it was an AU-version? Yes, in an AU anything (I think?!?) is permissible. but you DID made it sound as if it was the REAL deal, which, we both now agree it wasn't.- and still you haven't answered my essential question: how would you recognize it to be either of the three: Chester, Northampton or Louisville?

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: US Light Cruiser PhiladelphiaPosted: June 21st, 2016, 9:09 am
I'll make some major changes in due time.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: US Light Cruiser PhiladelphiaPosted: June 21st, 2016, 10:10 am
[ img ]

How is this so far? I'm basing it a bit from the Pensacola/Northampton class

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: US Light Cruiser PhiladelphiaPosted: June 21st, 2016, 10:22 am
If you are looking to have a cruiser with 8" guns I would suggest a hull length closer to 600 feet. The hull you have there is only 500 feet and would be more suited to a very light cruiser with 5-6" guns.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: US Light Cruiser PhiladelphiaPosted: June 21st, 2016, 10:39 am
This better?

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: US Light Cruiser PhiladelphiaPosted: June 21st, 2016, 11:00 am
The hull is now a better size but with the lower hull you need to centralise the changes to the shading and the ribbing (not the right name but my Alzheimers has kicked in).

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 11  [ 102 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 511 »

Jump to: