Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 11  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 511 »
Shigure
Post subject: Re: US Light Cruiser PhiladelphiaPosted: June 21st, 2016, 11:09 am
Will do!

It's like 2 AM there...

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: US Light Cruiser PhiladelphiaPosted: June 21st, 2016, 11:21 am
11.30pm in NZ

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: US Light Cruiser PhiladelphiaPosted: June 21st, 2016, 11:25 am
Hmm...I misread...horribly....

Anyways thanks

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: US Light Cruiser PhiladelphiaPosted: June 21st, 2016, 12:42 pm
Dear friend, as for your undewater hull, I would strongly recommend you take the lines from the Augusta I provided if you want to incorporate the distinctive aft floatplane flukes. As of now, yours will simply not work. Also, you still have got your spurious radar sets! As for Krakatoa's advise, I'd add that you CAN have a hull about 500 ft long with this particular hull shape; you just need to decide what kind of cruiser you're designing. Right now, with your "short" hull and your additional "long" hull you can actually make two interesting versions. Keep in mind, though, weight consideration, topweight, size of your superstructure and the kind of weaponry you'll add!

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: US Light Cruiser PhiladelphiaPosted: June 21st, 2016, 1:50 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
Dear friend, as for your undewater hull, I would strongly recommend you take the lines from the Augusta I provided if you want to incorporate the distinctive aft floatplane flukes. As of now, yours will simply not work. Also, you still have got your spurious radar sets! As for Krakatoa's advise, I'd add that you CAN have a hull about 500 ft long with this particular hull shape; you just need to decide what kind of cruiser you're designing. Right now, with your "short" hull and your additional "long" hull you can actually make two interesting versions. Keep in mind, though, weight consideration, topweight, size of your superstructure and the kind of weaponry you'll add!
I'll go with the long hull for now and make a heavy cruiser. I'll keep the short hull and use it in a later design.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: US Light Cruiser PhiladelphiaPosted: June 21st, 2016, 1:59 pm
Bezo, I thought that the drawing being an AU version would not matter that much if he is only trying to get the general feel of what American cruisers look like, seeing as how my drawing is either using some detailing from your drawing, or details taken from pictures of the Northampton and the Louisville from the early 30s.

Tristan, keep in mind that if this is late 20s design, which would put it in between the Northampton class and the Portland class, then armor should be relatively light. The Penasacola and the Northampton were considered tin-cans, even though they either had the same armor, or better than the other cruisers of the world.

If you are going for a short hull, and a long hull, I suggest that the long hull have the forecastle deck raised in a similar manner to the Northampton, or even similar to the New Orleans class, to gain additional seakeeping. The Pensacola was a flush deck cruiser, but it suffered from excessive top weight and was often wet and it rolled, alot.

If you want a little extra inspiration, might I suggest looking as some of the early designs for the Pensacola:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/939 ... %20S-a.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/939 ... %20S-B.png

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: US Light Cruiser PhiladelphiaPosted: June 21st, 2016, 2:16 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
Dear friend, as for your undewater hull, I would strongly recommend you take the lines from the Augusta I provided if you want to incorporate the distinctive aft floatplane flukes
What do you mean by this?

Btw quick change

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: US Light Cruiser PhiladelphiaPosted: June 21st, 2016, 3:17 pm
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: US Light Cruiser PhiladelphiaPosted: June 21st, 2016, 3:30 pm
You are not going to get 5 8 inch turrets on that hull, unless you sacrifice all armor and speed, maybe max 10 kts speed and 100 nm range. Either you have 4 twins, look at my Penasacola, the foremost and aftermost turrets are the twins. Alternatively, you can go with three triple turrets, two fore and one aft, ala Northampton.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: US Light Cruiser PhiladelphiaPosted: June 21st, 2016, 3:40 pm
[ img ]

Would 5" guns be feasible?

This ship might be slightly slower than the Pensacola, but I'm fine with that.

Also I don't think I'm going to give this ship floatplanes

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 11  [ 102 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 511 »

Jump to: