Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 21  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 521 »
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: July 25th, 2016, 3:44 pm
Ok I'll draw my own. But where can I find these newer drawings?

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: July 25th, 2016, 3:53 pm
All of what I consider to be my best work is generally posted on my deviant art page (at least until the new Shipbucket host is created): http://colosseumsb.deviantart.com/

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: July 25th, 2016, 3:56 pm
Ay that's some cool stuff! And what's this about a new host?

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: July 25th, 2016, 7:59 pm
I changed the history a bit. It was originally settled by the Dutch and later invaded by the British. So it has two official languages.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: July 25th, 2016, 10:07 pm
As I mentioned to TrucKola_19, it's nice to see someone using the legend and color scale of my Denton and Salide maps (as well as the basic information lists). However, in mere seconds, I recognized two features directly copied from my map. The first is what is Kiore Archipelago, which you have placed about 100 miles east of Port Erin; the second is Akaroa Atoll, which is 150 miles north-west of Port Parkerson. I notice some more smaller islands, but that's not as big a deal. I don't mind when people use my legend and scale, but please, draw your own islands ;) .

In regards to the location on the map, your first explorer will be Columbus. Your location in the Atlantic will seriously change the course of human history in Central America and quite possibly the rest of the Americas. The only way to circumvent that would be to make it smaller or put it somewhere else.
Again, as I discussed with TrucKola_19, look at the topology of the seafloor to determine how the islands will be shaped. It's very unlikely that the islands as you have drawn them, shape and size wise, could even exist, especially on an ocean plate. There is one way around it, but I've already used it up:
Denton's land mass comprises over 240,000 square miles of land resting on the Finley Plateau, just south of the Diamantina Escarpment. The Finley Plateau is a Large Igneous Province (LIP), which was formed separate from the Kerguelen LIP. When Australia and Antarctica started to separate, the Finley LIP was separated from the Kerguelen LIP by the Southeast Indian Ridge. The Finley Plateau/LIP is different from other areas of oceanic crust, in that it has a crustal thickness that ranges from 13-25 miles thick, compared to the typical 4.3 miles of normal oceanic crust. It is slightly smaller than the Kerguelen LIP (480,000 square miles), at about 390,000 square miles.

There is speculation among scientists that the East and West Islands were at one time a whole and were separated just after the Finley LIP separated from the Kerguelen LIP. Possible evidence of this can be seen clearly on maps and hydrographic surveys, which show of a 'stretched' area just between the two islands. There is some geologic evidence to support this theory, but further information is being gathered.
My thoughts on this are, if you're willing to make it smaller and change the location, you could probably get away with putting it on the Ontong Java Plateau. You wouldn't get to deal with the US and Russia in the Cuban Missile Crisis (which is too textbook, anyways. Everyone wants to put their mark on modern history, but I've found that Alternate Universes are more about interacting with other AUs and creating your own unique history), but you would get attacked by Japan in WWII, you could still be settled by the Dutch and get taken over by the British, and you could still do a slave trade, with Polynesians and Aboriginals.

Oh, and BTW, looking over your Basic Information, you copied the 'population cap' I had with Denton, but really, no country is going to be able to successfully do that. You can implement one child programs, like China did, but it's still not going to work out like that. Even if you limit immigration, natural growth will still grow the country and you can't stop that, unless you start a famine (or a civil war) and just kill people off for several years. I wouldn't recommend that, though.

But don't let me burst your bubble, all that matters is that you enjoy yourself!

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: July 26th, 2016, 1:18 am
Bruh your colors came from the map of North Point I did many years ago, which came from someone on SMS before me. To call them "your colors" is a bit disingenuous. Anyone can use them.

[Profile] [Quote]
Keisser
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: July 27th, 2016, 7:38 pm
ARS Donald R. Johnson
[ img ]
Displacement: 30 754 t standard, 33 302 t full load.
Length (waterline): 176 m/577,5 ft
Beam: 30 m/98,5 ft
Draught: 9,6-9,9 m/31,5-32,5 ft
Main caliber: 6x2 356 mm/50 cal guns M1919 Mk.III
Secondary armament (as built in 1938): 12 152 mm/50 cal guns in casemate mounts, 4 76 mm/45 guns.
Armor: 12" belt, 5" ends, 5" bulkhead, 15-12" turrets, 4" decks, 16" conning towers.
Machinery: coal/oil fired boilers, steam turbines, geared drive to 4 shafts, 62 750 ihp/46 790 kWt; 2 547 tons of fuel (60% coal)
Speed: 24 kts full, 11 kts economical
Range: 9 000 nm
Complement: 1561
Metacentric height: 1,7 m/5,6 ft
Adequate machinery space.
Excellent accomodation and workspace room.

Last edited by Keisser on July 28th, 2016, 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: July 27th, 2016, 8:25 pm
I dont think your ship is big enough to have 6 14 inch turrets.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: July 27th, 2016, 9:17 pm
I'm not too concerned about the size, per se. I'm looking at it as: where are the boilers and engine rooms? I don't see room for an engine room, which would likely be placed between the rear and mid set of turrets.

The superfiring turrets do not have to be placed so far apart from one another, they can be placed closer, at say 4-6px. If you want real life inspiration, look at the Wyoming class BB. That is the same configuration as this is.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Democratic Republic of AntaraPosted: July 27th, 2016, 11:23 pm
Wyoming and New York is 70 and 50 pixels shorter, respectively. Wyoming had 12x12" guns, and the New York had 10x14" guns. 12x14" is not going to work on that hull. If you want 12x14" guns, look at the Fuso and Ise classes, as they are of the right size for that number of guns of that size.

I should also say, the draft and freeboard is too high. On the Wyoming, and the New York, the deck was slowly dropping, from stem to stern. The design is also way too old for a battleship designed in 1928-29.

If the ship is indeed designed in 1928-29, the machinery problem could be solved with a turbo-electric drive, as employed on the New Mexico, Colorado and Lexington classes.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 21  [ 201 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 521 »

Jump to: