Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 4  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4
BB1987
Post subject: Re: AU - Randomville Islands + ShipsPosted: August 12th, 2016, 8:21 pm
Free Peoples Navy wrote:
So I can stick with the 15-inch guns or can I upgrade?
I still have no idea about the timeframe during which that BC is built.
Yet, since I can still recognize you actually used the n°13 rudder, propeller setup and bow I could call it an early 20's design. 15-inch guns are fine, but your current barrels are too thick, since they are still the 18-inch ones of the N°13 (albeit shortened). Both The Royal Navy and Reichsmarine/Kriegsmarine part sheets providesome fine examples of 15-inch gun turrets.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Free Peoples Navy
Post subject: Re: AU - Randomville Islands + ShipsPosted: August 12th, 2016, 9:32 pm
BB1987 wrote:
Free Peoples Navy wrote:
So I can stick with the 15-inch guns or can I upgrade?
I still have no idea about the timeframe during which that BC is built.
Yet, since I can still recognize you actually used the n°13 rudder, propeller setup and bow I could call it an early 20's design. 15-inch guns are fine, but your current barrels are too thick, since they are still the 18-inch ones of the N°13 (albeit shortened). Both The Royal Navy and Reichsmarine/Kriegsmarine part sheets providesome fine examples of 15-inch gun turrets.

[ img ]

Well she's coming along 'nicely' so far. I'm planning on extending the hull as well. If there are any problems, do feel free to point them out. I'm gonna stop for the night, it's late.

[Profile] [Quote]
ABetterName
Post subject: Re: AU - Randomville Islands + ShipsPosted: August 12th, 2016, 10:47 pm
That is a huge crane.

[Profile] [Quote]
Free Peoples Navy
Post subject: Re: AU - Randomville Islands + ShipsPosted: August 13th, 2016, 5:41 am
ABetterName wrote:
That is a huge crane.
I blame an old video game for that design. :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: AU - Randomville Islands + ShipsPosted: August 13th, 2016, 6:56 am
-The gun turrets are too think
-The crane is WAY too big
-Your ship looks extremely top heavy. Place the funnel 3 levels lower
-Decrease the draft
-Move the floatplane a few levels down

[Profile] [Quote]
Free Peoples Navy
Post subject: Re: AU - Randomville Islands + ShipsPosted: August 13th, 2016, 7:36 am
TristanAlting wrote:
-The gun turrets are too think
-The crane is WAY too big
-Your ship looks extremely top heavy. Place the funnel 3 levels lower
-Decrease the draft
-Move the floatplane a few levels down

I'll take the advice. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Free Peoples Navy
Post subject: Re: AU - Randomville Islands + ShipsPosted: August 13th, 2016, 7:54 am
[ img ]

Another design I made myself, using a copy of the hull of my other WIP, the Battlecruiser Sandy Island. It's not quite done yet, but it's mostly done.

This is the composite aircraft carrier Cape Pembroke. This interesting warship has an interesting history. It didn't start out out life as an aircraft carrier. She was originally the Sandbore Cay Class Battleship Big Sand Cay. The other Sandbore Cay Battleships were either converted to museums, sunk as breakwaters, or broken up for scrap. In 1937, the only two Sandbore Cay Class Battleships left were the Sandbore Cay - which had been converted into a museum, and the Big Sand Cay. Originally scheduled to be scrapped, the Navy held that decision back and decided to have her converted into an aircraft carrier, Randomville's 3rd. She served in WWII, but survived without being bombed or torpedoed, or attacked by Japanese warships. She was converted into a Museum on the request of Rear Admiral Kevin Rink, younger brother of the late Admiral Thomas Rink, who went down with his ship during the battle of Cape Pembroke on April 9 1942. His death was in vain, as the Japanese eventually took Cape Pembroke, although the Free People's Army of Randomville were able to keep the Japs from entering Port Stanley.

[Profile] [Quote]
Keisser
Post subject: Re: AU - Randomville Islands + ShipsPosted: August 13th, 2016, 8:14 am
TristanAlting wrote:
@keisser we need to change the caliber on our BB ;)
Which one?
Anyways, I don't think this is necessary. US WWI BB's had 12" or 14" guns. Colorados got 16". But those are the United States man, big and whealthy country and Britannians that rule the waves and never shall be slaves, so 14" is enough for Antara.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: AU - Randomville Islands + ShipsPosted: August 15th, 2016, 10:43 am
From what I understand, it's more due to costs and production - if you look at BB lifecycles starting with Dreadnought, which started out with 12" guns, five turrets. The RN then went through a period of shuffling turrets around a bit, starting with the Neptune class, until they got to the Orion-class, when they upped the calibre to 13.5" and moved them all to the centreline, at least partly due to weight concerns (Orion was about 2,500 tonnes heavier than Colossus) - centreline turrets place their weight on the keel and so are at least working with the major structural part of the ship. Wing turrets need a keelson built out from the keel (more additional weight!) to hold the turret, feasible for 12" gun turrets but not so much for the heavier 13.5" ones. All this additional weight (and the inference that more weight generally means more cost) means that for a given budget you'd get more Colossuses than Orions - if you're mostly after a decent number of hulls because you've just started an arms race with Germany, you'd probably settle for the cheaper ship unless it can't do the job any more (i.e., your likely adversaries are launching ships with better armour). Given that the RN had been working on a high-velocity 12" before they had to bite the bullet and settle on 13.5" (the 12" wore out the barrel too quickly) I think it's safe to say that they avoided to transition to 13.5" as long as they reasonably could.

Similarly, with the Queen Elizabeth class, after a couple more 13.5" classes the RN went up to 15", which were heavy enough that they no longer shipped five turrets (they still threw a heavier broadside than the preceding Iron Duke class, though) - they needed time to get the previous classes out into production, evaluate their performance against likely adversaries and, as much as anything else, build the guns, which could be a massive industrial commitment in and of itself - Yamato had a special boat built to carry the 18.1" barrels of her main battery guns from the gun foundry to the shipyard and even the RN 15" was a 100-ton piece of precision metalworking - each (Yamato's guns were 147 tonnes each!) and as such were not quick to build.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 4  [ 39 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4

Jump to: