Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Free Peoples Navy
Post subject: Re: AU - Randomville Islands + ShipsPosted: August 12th, 2016, 7:19 pm
TristanAlting wrote:
When are you going to design your own ship?
I am working on one ATM, the Barbuda Class Battlecruiser. Here is the WIP. [ img ] This I made from scratch, without copyu/pasting anyone else's parts, although I have to look at references/tutorials to see how things are drawn.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: AU - Randomville Islands + ShipsPosted: August 12th, 2016, 7:22 pm
Cool. What caliber gun is that?

I would suggest looking at my country's front page and copying and editing all the details there to help us get a better idea of what your own country is like.

[Profile] [Quote]
Free Peoples Navy
Post subject: Re: AU - Randomville Islands + ShipsPosted: August 12th, 2016, 7:30 pm
TristanAlting wrote:
Cool. What caliber gun is that?

I would suggest looking at my country's front page and copying and editing all the details there to help us get a better idea of what your own country is like.
That's a 15 in. gun, sorta the same as used on the [img]Hood[/img]. Sure, I'll look at your country's front page and copy the details and edit them. :) Every bit of help and good advice goes a long way. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: AU - Randomville Islands + ShipsPosted: August 12th, 2016, 7:33 pm
15"??? That's a bloody battleship!

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: AU - Randomville Islands + ShipsPosted: August 12th, 2016, 7:34 pm
I suppose an 18-inch gun (or 457mm). The turret looks like a kitbash of those of the unbuilt IJN N°13 Class Battleship.
It was actually the first real/never-where ship I've drawn on Shipbucket, it gives me some memories! :D (the guns are now outdated, and the drawing itself might benefit from some substantal retouches, I might return on this long forgotten beauty sooner or later.)

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Free Peoples Navy
Post subject: Re: AU - Randomville Islands + ShipsPosted: August 12th, 2016, 7:37 pm
BB1987 wrote:
I suppose an 18-inch gun (or 457mm). The turret looks like a kitbash of those of the unbuilt IJN N°13 Class Battleship.
It was actually the first real/never-where ship I've drawn on Shipbucket, it gives me some memories! :D (the guns are now outdated, and the drawing itself might benefit from some substantal retouches, I might return on this long forgotten beauty sooner or later.)
So what caliber (.Inch) would you recommend for a battlecruiser?

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: AU - Randomville Islands + ShipsPosted: August 12th, 2016, 7:41 pm
Ignore me. I didn't know the Hood actually carried 15" guns! I have a poster of the Hood on my wall so I was able to check. My battleships looks so inferior because it only carries 14" guns.

@keisser we need to change the caliber on our BB ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: AU - Randomville Islands + ShipsPosted: August 12th, 2016, 7:48 pm
Free Peoples Navy wrote:
Technically speaking, there were plans with Battlecruisers armed up to 508mm (20-inch) guns! (Lord Fisher's HMS Incomparable) but the were honestly a bit 'silly'. The largest battlecruisers actually started where the US Lexingtons and the Japanese Amagis, wich were both to be fitted with 406 and 409mm (16 and 16.1-inch) guns.
The main deicing factor for the armament is just when your battlecruiser is laid down. 1906-1910 I'd say 305mm. 1911-1915 356mm. 1916-1920 381mm. 1920-1922 406mm guns.

edit: one thing, at first glance your ship has a draft (the height of the hull below the waterline) of some 15 meters, if not more. You'd hardly need anything over 10-11m.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Free Peoples Navy
Post subject: Re: AU - Randomville Islands + ShipsPosted: August 12th, 2016, 8:00 pm
BB1987 wrote:
Free Peoples Navy wrote:
Technically speaking, there were plans with Battlecruisers armed up to 508mm (20-inch) guns! (Lord Fisher's HMS Incomparable) but the were honestly a bit 'silly'. The largest battlecruisers actually started where the US Lexingtons and the Japanese Amagis, wich were both to be fitted with 406 and 409mm (16 and 16.1-inch) guns.
The main deicing factor for the armament is just when your battlecruiser is laid down. 1906-1910 I'd say 305mm. 1911-1915 356mm. 1916-1920 381mm. 1920-1922 406mm guns.

edit: one thing, at first glance your ship has a draft (the height of the hull below the waterline) of some 15 meters, if not more. You'd hardly need anything over 10-11m.
So I can stick with the 15-inch guns or can I upgrade?

[Profile] [Quote]
Free Peoples Navy
Post subject: Re: AU - Randomville Islands + ShipsPosted: August 12th, 2016, 8:14 pm
TristanAlting wrote:
Ignore me. I didn't know the Hood actually carried 15" guns! I have a poster of the Hood on my wall so I was able to check. My battleships looks so inferior because it only carries 14" guns.

@keisser we need to change the caliber on our BB ;)
Egh, geen probleem my vriend (No problem my friend.) :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 39 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: