Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 7  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 57 »
klagldsf
Post subject: Konigsreich von Namaqua AUPosted: February 6th, 2011, 8:25 am
I'm very tired right now so I'll fill in other stuff later. In the meantime enjoy what I have right now:

BTW, Namaqua refers to basically the southern third of Africa and includes a very diverse range of ethnicities. The area was colonized by Germany in the last quarter of the 19th century (hence the German language everywhere)

[ img ]

I'll fill in the details later again but basically, steam turbine-powered 25 knot pre-dreads (ya rly), note late construction dates for pre-dreads. Final unit canceled midway through construction in favor of Kaizerin Sofia class dreadnought (coming later). Unfinished unit was purchased and finished for behalf of Greece where it became Georgios Averof (in real life the Gerogios Averof was an Italian armored cruiser that was purchased through similar circumstances).

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Konigsreich von Namaqua AUPosted: February 6th, 2011, 9:47 am
Very nice work...I especially like the bow.

-Matt

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Konigsreich von Namaqua AUPosted: February 6th, 2011, 11:01 am
Hmmm...you're aware that the Greeks hardly would've used Roman letters to spell the ship's name? - Not even in an AU! Besides Greek tradition closely follows that of Britain: name chipher in a wooden enclosed box, oftenmost somewhere on the superstructure. The British did, in addition write the ship's name with embossed characters on the stern or the aftermost section of the aft superstructure (02-level) cf Hood, Barham, Queen Elizabeth, Iron Duke etc.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Konigsreich von Namaqua AUPosted: February 6th, 2011, 9:12 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
Hmmm...you're aware that the Greeks hardly would've used Roman letters to spell the ship's name? - Not even in an AU! Besides Greek tradition closely follows that of Britain: name chipher in a wooden enclosed box, oftenmost somewhere on the superstructure. The British did, in addition write the ship's name with embossed characters on the stern or the aftermost section of the aft superstructure (02-level) cf Hood, Barham, Queen Elizabeth, Iron Duke etc.
In my AU, they do.

Or at least, as the ship was delivered. They can do whatever they want from that point on.

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: Konigsreich von Namaqua AUPosted: February 10th, 2011, 4:29 pm
Nice designs, any specs for them?

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Konigsreich von Namaqua AUPosted: February 14th, 2011, 5:37 am
I have specs for them, but I'll put them in later when I flesh out the rest of the AU, which I will do soon. But they're armed with 9.25 inch secondaries, and their primaries are 12/45 cannons, just like with this baby:

[ img ]

This is the first dreadnought, largely based on the last pre-dreadnought design as you could probably tell.

And not a single comment on spelling please! I still more or less consider these placeholders as I decide whether or not to continue the German influence, or go for more of a Dutch/low countries influence, and trying to decide which is better/more feasible.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Konigsreich von Namaqua AUPosted: February 14th, 2011, 6:56 am
...and just because I wanted to see how it would work out this way:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: Konigsreich von Namaqua AUPosted: March 4th, 2011, 1:07 pm
Any word on an update?

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Konigsreich von Namaqua AUPosted: March 4th, 2011, 9:41 pm
Drawing a ship like this, particularly in this level of detail, and trying to assure correct naval engineering to the best of my amateur ability (which is a big part of this whole AU exercise in the first place), takes time (just ask Golly). Also, real life does intervene somewhat - I recently acquired a new task in writing various reviews and consumer advice, and unlike Shipbucket, that actually pays money (allegedly). Finally, I'd still like to get some more feedback than what I've been getting.

Also, I'm mulling changing a few things from the AU's political perspective from German-influence to low countries-influence, for realism's sake.

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: Konigsreich von Namaqua AUPosted: March 5th, 2011, 12:41 pm
Completely understand, take your time..

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 7  [ 69 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 57 »

Jump to: