Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 7  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Konigsreich von Namaqua AUPosted: April 3rd, 2012, 3:41 am
There's shade, right underneath the umbrella!

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Konigsreich von Namaqua AUPosted: April 3rd, 2012, 5:08 am
klagldsf wrote:
There's shade, right underneath the umbrella!
hhahah :lol:

[Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Konigsreich von Namaqua AUPosted: July 23rd, 2012, 6:25 am
Ok, so this is the latest edition to the Disney Fleet, a work in progress/preview/I'm bored. I was so inspired by LEUT_East that I pretty much ripped him off. I'm pretty sure that's not how the Millenium Gun's director is meant to be mounted. What appears to be azipods are fixed. I'll explain the significance of the name maybe later, but here's my version of yet another Burke Clone.

I'm using Photobucket because I'm lazy.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Konigsreich von Namaqua AUPosted: July 23rd, 2012, 8:04 am
Looks nice thus far!

-Matt

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Konigsreich von Namaqua AUPosted: July 23rd, 2012, 8:06 am
Well, the Millenium Gun doesn't actually have a purpose designed director. (Except for the land based variant that has it built into the mounting itself, but even then there's a couple of options to choose from.) Also, you've forgotten the lower half of the mount where all the ammo is stored.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Konigsreich von Namaqua AUPosted: July 25th, 2012, 2:49 am
Ok so I finally finished this sucker!

In-universe background info:

The Kingdom's contribution to the Allied effort to oust Saddam Hussein from Kuwait in 1991 included the light cruiser Prinzessin Hayleah. Admiral Numela posted his flag aboard the vessel - a vessel he himself captained in the 60s and 70s. Princessin Hayleah contributed to shore bombardment along with other allied vessels such as USS Missouri and USS Wisconsin, and while the 6-inch guns didn't offer the massive firepower of the American battleships, such a "deficiency" turned out to be a plus as it allowed a reduced risk of "blue-on-blue" exposure during support missions. The high rate of fire of the 6-inch guns (1 round per 3 seconds) meant a different approach to getting large volumes of lead on-shore. When the light cruisers were finally retired this meant a gap in naval gunfire support that modern vessels had a difficult time matching.

Requirements were then drafted to field a dedicated NGS vessel. Similar to the American Zumwalt effort, requirements ballooned to include a vessel with "dominant" air defense capability and later "battlespace dominance" with the ability to engage sea targets. Admirals often referred to the vessels as their version of the "big Asiatic destroyers" and these vessels were officially designated "Schwere Lenkwaffe Zerstroyers" (heavy guided-missile destroyers). The requirements were rewritten a final time to ensure that these vessels were the most technologically advanced Namaqua could possibly field. This meant a stealthy vessel equipped with AEGIS and an unusually large 6-inch gun (from spare tube stocks for the retired light cruisers) as the remaining vestige of the original NGS requirement.

When KvN Admiral Numela launched, it certainly achieved the "most advanced vessel" requirement. Comparable to a "Burke Flight IIB" or "Flight II 1/2," it incorporates an American AEGIS software setup with locally made radar faces and high-performance anti-aircraft missiles. The vessels are also equipped with a small well-deck aft for RHIB operations. Another feature included a state-of-the-art COGAG propulsion system that ended with azipods.

[ img ]

However, the azipods didn't pan out operationally, and Admiral Numela and the new Princessin Hayleah went in for refits to weld the azipods in place and replace them with rudders. Starting with the third unit, Princessin Kristina, the ships will have this arrangement upon launch.

[ img ]

So yeah, since Burke-clones are popular I decided I wanted my own. Obviously I took heavy inspiration from LEUT_East's effort, which I really liked, and I liberally borrowed from other advanced concepts from other drawers (properly credited of course). Princessin Kristina is named after a nice pretty lady I once knew and actually ended up joining the Navy and got deployed - on the Burkespam!

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Konigsreich von Namaqua AUPosted: July 25th, 2012, 8:03 am
The remind me of the Euro Burke thing I was working on before I got my new PC more than an actual Burke, maybe due to the size. The railings are an odd colour. Overall a nice drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Konigsreich von Namaqua AUPosted: July 25th, 2012, 8:29 pm
That reminds me, I need to credit you not Bombhead!

I also fixed the lousy-looking azipods and added Mk 38 Mod 2.

[Profile] [Quote]
Raven
Post subject: Re: Konigsreich von Namaqua AUPosted: July 26th, 2012, 5:40 pm
A Burke bumped uglies with a Bazan, that's what it reminds me of... well drawn though.

By This Sign You Will Conquer

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Konigsreich von Namaqua AUPosted: July 27th, 2012, 4:33 pm
Ummm...not sure what to make of that but thanks...I think.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 7  [ 69 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »

Jump to: