Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ] 
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Republic of the Carolinas 2.0 (New and Improved)Posted: January 12th, 2017, 11:14 pm
I will be revising the old AU and posting a new and improved version here. In this AU, I will be correcting the historical problems encountered in the old AU, most notably I will be making the Carolinas become independent in the Revolutionary War as suggested on the previous AU. I will take this AU from 1780 to the present day, and it will cover the navy and air force (later) only. Coast defense artillery will be included, and maybe army later on. I will work on a map and some basic history later this week/weekend.

-IF ANYONE HAS ANY HISTORICAL TIPS THAT I SHOULD USE PLEASE LIST THEM BELOW.

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: Republic of the Carolinas 2.0 (New and Improved)Posted: January 12th, 2017, 11:43 pm
Dredge your harbors and filibuster Cuba.

Why? The Carolinas (assuming US RTL) have poor hydrographic geography and no raw material resource base for heavy industry. Cuba on the other hand comes complete.

All that is lacking is the will to use it. And that the Carolinians can supply in spades.

[Profile] [Quote]
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: Republic of the Carolinas 2.0 (New and Improved)Posted: January 13th, 2017, 12:41 am
Tobius wrote:
Dredge your harbors and filibuster Cuba.

Why? The Carolinas (assuming US RTL) have poor hydrographic geography and no raw material resource base for heavy industry. Cuba on the other hand comes complete.

All that is lacking is the will to use it. And that the Carolinians can supply in spades.
I would do Cuba, but I am technically already doing that as the CCCN AU if you haven't read it before. I wanted to do the Carolinas because I am a Carolinian and wanted to see an independent union of North and South Carolina.

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: Republic of the Carolinas 2.0 (New and Improved)Posted: January 13th, 2017, 5:21 am
Have not read it. Republic of the Carolinas is not really viable without Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi Tennessee and Florida (and the Caribbean.) For an explanation why, read The Influence of Sea Power Upon History by Alfred Thayer Mahan.

[Profile] [Quote]
sebu
Post subject: Re: Republic of the Carolinas 2.0 (New and Improved)Posted: January 13th, 2017, 10:25 am
No text so much. Pictures, please. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: Republic of the Carolinas 2.0 (New and Improved)Posted: January 13th, 2017, 11:45 am
Tobius wrote:
Have not read it. Republic of the Carolinas is not really viable without Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi Tennessee and Florida (and the Caribbean.) For an explanation why, read The Influence of Sea Power Upon History by Alfred Thayer Mahan.
I would really like to if I can get my hands on a copy. So far I've been unable to do so. I want to do something as far as North America regarding an alternate country on the continent and this was my only idea since the republic of Texas is Redhorse's baby. I could do an independent 13 colonies but I'm not really sure how that would work out.

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: Republic of the Carolinas 2.0 (New and Improved)Posted: January 13th, 2017, 3:57 pm
Yea I've concluded that an independent 13 colonies that grows a little bit but not all the way across North America would be a good choice I think I will do that.

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: Republic of the Carolinas 2.0 (New and Improved)Posted: January 13th, 2017, 4:42 pm
The Influence of Seapower Upon History:

Audio-book 1660-1783

If you are going to attempt an alternate history involving the United States, the cleave points are the Burr Conspiracy (Jefferson administration), the New York Conspiracy (War of `1812), the first South Carolina secession (Jackson administration), the Mexican American War, the Nicaragua Filibuster, and the American Civil War, the Great Pacific War (South American naval war involving Peru, Chile, Bolivia and various European interlopers), the SS Virginius Affair (my departure point for Mr. McKinley's Navy) and World War I.

Those are the only viable historic incidents that involve RTL American history up to WW I.

eta

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Republic of the Carolinas 2.0 (New and Improved)Posted: January 13th, 2017, 7:23 pm
I'll just repeat my objections with your previous AU, namely the need to go back further in time to achieve anything like a credible independent South, and the need to start well before the historical CSA, probably going back to the American Revolution. I'll echo the sentiment of the previous poster, that you probably need more than just the Carolinas this time around.

One of the biggest issues I find in *any* scenario with the South as a separate entity, presuming you're planning on getting into an eventual pissing match with the USA, is the general opposition to industrialization. It wasn't so much a matter that the South couldn't, or didn't have the means to do so, so much as there was an active opposition to the notion. The southern identity was that of a slave based, agrarian society, and most southerners saw the social ills that came with the industrialization of the North in just as bad of a light as the abolitionists did with southern slavery, and wanted little part of it. Clearly, attitudes are going to have to change....

I like the idea of getting involved in Cuba, Mexico, and the Caribbean better than trying to take on the USA, which isn't going to end well...for anyone. People who are passingly familiar with the Civil War point to towards the first half of the conflict as proof that the South could hold its own against the USA, at least for a time, through better generalship and feats of arms, and point towards the string of victories all the way from Manassas up to Gettysburg, but leave out the erosion of the CSA in the west, during the same period, which would eventually doom the whole enterprise, and break the back of the Confederacy.

Another problem that I saw with the old AU, was it seemed to generally underestimate the north, who particularly in naval circles is going to be formidable, with a very strong maritime tradition, coupled with an excellent shipbuilding industry--another reason to avoid tangling with them directly. One issue I had back then was the notion of the US accepting any sort of parity with the South in this area, no matter what the incentive, as dependent on overseas trade as the nation is.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful, and am looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the next iteration of this AU!

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
RegiaMarina1939
Post subject: Re: Republic of the Carolinas 2.0 (New and Improved)Posted: January 13th, 2017, 9:18 pm
Tobius wrote:
The Influence of Seapower Upon History:

Audio-book 1660-1783

If you are going to attempt an alternate history involving the United States, the cleave points are the Burr Conspiracy (Jefferson administration), the New York Conspiracy (War of `1812), the first South Carolina secession (Jackson administration), the Mexican American War, the Nicaragua Filibuster, and the American Civil War, the Great Pacific War (South American naval war involving Peru, Chile, Bolivia and various European interlopers), the SS Virginius Affair (my departure point for Mr. McKinley's Navy) and World War I.

Those are the only viable historic incidents that involve RTL American history up to WW I.

eta
God bless you sir! If I can make the Nicaragua filibuster happen a few years earlier (say 1845) that would be wonderful. That is the exact time frame I wanted to be in. Mr. Walker's Nicaragua... now that's an idea...

RegiaMarina1939

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs”

Jump to: