Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Tempest
Post subject: Germany, SMS Graf Spee Carrier ConversionPosted: June 6th, 2017, 11:22 pm
I've borrowed heavily from DG_Alpha's Project Ausonia, Flugzeugdampfer I Design proposal no.2, to draw a hypothetical conversion of the launched but not completed Mackensen class battlecruiser into an aircraft carrier. I did draw a version where the hull mounted 15cm barbettes, but I think this version is better.

[ img ]

Version with the 15cm casemates
[ img ]

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

Last edited by Tempest on June 9th, 2017, 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Germany, SMS Graf Spee Carrier ConversionPosted: June 7th, 2017, 1:30 am
Nice! I suppose the Mackensen is a logical choice for the conversion with that speed and nice beamy hull

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: Germany, SMS Graf Spee Carrier ConversionPosted: June 7th, 2017, 1:54 am
Interesting. After the Germans figure out that it won't work, as the first version of the Akagi did not, (similar problems as seen in the Ausonia.), will they in this AU possibility, like the Japanese, go straight to catapults, a full length flight deck and lifts in a revision?

But as an exercise in the what if, it is quite a good take on the Ausonia.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Germany, SMS Graf Spee Carrier ConversionPosted: June 7th, 2017, 3:05 pm
That's some fine idea, but why not weld some type of "shield" over bow torpedo launcher tube? Or ship retain this weapon system?

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Germany, SMS Graf Spee Carrier ConversionPosted: June 8th, 2017, 10:56 am
Can't help feeling a couple of 150mm casemates would make sense, if only to help ward off the light cruiser threat in the North Sea. Not having any surface battery might be seen as weak given the size and importance of the conversion.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: Germany, SMS Graf Spee Carrier ConversionPosted: June 8th, 2017, 5:52 pm
Thanks for the input guys.

Tobius, yes the Graf Spee will be updated with a more conventional deck layout once it is discovered that the second flying off deck doesn't work

Rhade, the torpedo tubes will be deleted during the same rebuild. There will be a rather large reconstruction following that.

Hood, I've included the seconded design following your comment, its up to you guys on which design I proceed with.

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Germany, SMS Graf Spee Carrier ConversionPosted: June 8th, 2017, 9:11 pm
An interesting idea to be sure, and personally I like the second one more, but would decrease the number of casement guns. I would also spread them, moving them forward and aft, say three each side aft, and two each side forward.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Germany, SMS Graf Spee Carrier ConversionPosted: June 9th, 2017, 12:34 pm
Very nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Germany, SMS Graf Spee Carrier ConversionPosted: June 9th, 2017, 1:15 pm
I agree with Novice, about 10-12 guns in total would be enough.
Don't forget to add a couple of rangefinders somewhere too.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Germany, SMS Graf Spee Carrier ConversionPosted: June 9th, 2017, 9:40 pm
@Tempest:
For a German 1918-1919 carrier,
- Think german 1918-1919 naval designer
- don't think US, British, Japanese 1922-1928 philosophy ;)
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: