Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 8  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 68 »
eswube
Post subject: Re: Soviet Alternative CarriersPosted: November 28th, 2020, 4:31 pm
That's just excellent!

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Soviet Alternative CarriersPosted: November 28th, 2020, 5:53 pm
Fantastic drawing! Very nicely done!

[Profile] [Quote]
Rainmaker
Post subject: Re: Soviet Alternative CarriersPosted: November 28th, 2020, 11:05 pm
Beautiful work! Glad to see this thread still active. I'm curious about this design - why was it believed that the Soviets saw merit in a mixed launch system using both steam catapults and the ski-jump? You'd think it would be more efficient to go "all-in" on one system or the other; to my knowledge, I'm not aware of any other vessel that proposed to combine both types of systems.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Soviet Alternative CarriersPosted: December 18th, 2020, 4:35 pm
[ img ]
Volgograd, Airborne Headquarters Ship, 1995

First schemed in 1983, perhaps due to lessons learned from the British Royal Navy during the Falklands War, the Soviet Navy schemed an Airborne Headquarters Ship to provide command facilities for Soviet naval task forces, especially those featuring naval aviation ships. Although not given much priority, Volgograd was laid down in 1990 and uniquely was completed in 1995 by the Russian Navy as a relatively cheap means to get aviation assets afloat without operating expensive carriers.

Displacement: 25,000 tons
Dimensions: 227.8m(long, overall), 37.8m (beam, including flightdeck), 8m draught
Armament: 2x Kortik CIWS, 1x 100mm AK-100, 2x5 53mm torpedo tubes for torpedoes & RPK-2 Vyuga, 1x RBU-6000 ASW rocket launchers
Airgroup: a mix of Yak-41 VTOL fighters and Ka-27 'Helix' helicopters
Machinery: gas turbines
Speed: 32kts

Real World: This design comes from the book Alternative: Unbuilt ships of Russian Imperial Navy and Soviet Navy by A. N. Sokolov. Little information is given and its shown as part of the appendix of other designs, its simply called 'Airborne Headquarters Ship' and dates from 1983. The concept never made it to the Shipbuilding Plan.

Drawing Notes: The drawing in Sokolov's book is very basic and crudely scaled. No dimensions were given so I scaled this off the AK-100 and other items, so this cannot really classify as a proper 'never-were' drawing due to the lack of solid information and the rather speculative features of the drawing.
For example, unlike most Soviet ships this design looks very under-armed. Only one RBU is fitted plus 533mm torpedo tubes. No CIWS were shown in the drawing and ahead of the AK-100 was shown one single circle which I presume may have been an 'Gauntlet' VLS but no fire-control radar was shown (also very odd that only one SA-N-9 would be fitted if it is that missile). So I have left off any SAMs. Two EW radomes suited low on the hull sides looked like a rather odd feature to me, so supposing these may have been placeholders for Kortik, I have added them to the drawing to add some proper self-defence capability.
Lastly, seeing that Gollevainien has used Sokolev's speculative drawings of radars etc. for his own Novogorod AU which matched this ship, I have stolen some of his EW equipment for this ship in the absence of real Soviet next-gen kit to properly illustrate this concept. So this drawing should be considered an AU design based on a real concept.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

Last edited by Hood on December 19th, 2020, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
The_Sprinklez
Post subject: Re: Soviet Alternative CarriersPosted: December 18th, 2020, 4:36 pm
Unfortunately, the image is marked as "No Longer Available."

Im Schatten des Adlers - An Alternate History Timeline: http://shipbucket.com/wiki/index.php/Ca ... des_Adlers

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Soviet Alternative CarriersPosted: December 19th, 2020, 10:52 am
Hopefully should be fixed now.

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Soviet Alternative CarriersPosted: December 19th, 2020, 3:34 pm
Great work!!

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Soviet Alternative CarriersPosted: December 19th, 2020, 10:09 pm
EXCELLENT work James! Jolly WELL DONE old chap :P

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Soviet Alternative CarriersPosted: December 24th, 2020, 3:47 pm
It would be possible to create sponsons that could hold Kortik, but the platforms you've added couldn't support them. Otherwise, this is a nice addition.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Soviet Alternative CarriersPosted: December 24th, 2020, 5:16 pm
erik_t wrote: *
It would be possible to create sponsons that could hold Kortik, but the platforms you've added couldn't support them. Otherwise, this is a nice addition.
That is true, that is artistic licence.
I thought about putting them above the gas turbine intakes but the topweight would be bad and most Kortiks are mounted quite low.
I can't think why the original drawing has radomes in that low hull position either, rather curious.

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 8  [ 80 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 68 »

Jump to: