Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ] 
Hexelarity
Post subject: Type-17 Admiral Mulich Class Guided Missile FrigatePosted: March 4th, 2018, 4:14 pm
Hi guys, i think this is the first time since about a year back i posted a ship (which was too top heavy most likely) and i have returned. I present a Guided Missile Frigate armed with 28 RIM-66 Missiles, 28 RIM-162 Missiles, 8 Naval Strike Anti-ship missiles, and is also armed with a 100mm gun, and lastly two MSI-DSI Seahawk LWs. I haven't worked out the speed, displacement, and or crew and etc. I would appreciate any and all suggestions, criticism, and nitpicks that may arise with the vessel.
[ img ]
(Please don't kill me)

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Type-17 Admiral Mulich Class Guided Missile FrigatePosted: March 4th, 2018, 5:03 pm
I like but maybe move the bridge forward? (and 1/3 of the way to the gun?)

The MK 41 will not take that much space from the gun to the bridge and the rest is wasted and you might as well get more superstructure space and move engines and radar slightly forward to save on stuff that would conflict with the hangar?

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Type-17 Admiral Mulich Class Guided Missile FrigatePosted: March 4th, 2018, 6:43 pm
Looks good, though if you used parts from others that require crediting then your name goes last. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Type-17 Admiral Mulich Class Guided Missile FrigatePosted: March 4th, 2018, 8:51 pm
Not a bad start IMHO. I assume you were heavily inspired by Golly's Project 22350 frigate? The proportions are fairly specific.

I can't comment much on the overall layout, not being much versed in naval design as such, except to say that the upper hull might require some attention. The ship looks unbalanced as is, and the transom too sharp for what ought to be a fast boat.

Before we move on to the superstructure, I just have a question about the location of the missiles above the ship in the drawing: is it normal that the NSMs sit above the forecastle while the launchers are located amidships? If not, does that reflect on the position of the SAMs as well? Because otherwise, your VLS might be a bit too far forward for balance and gun clearance.

Regarding the above-deck parts, I'll go on the same tired old rant as usual: first thing, try to figure out what goes where and what is used how. A few examples:
- There is a small deckhouse with two radars/comms antennae atop your helicopter section. How far down does it go? Is there one central helo hangar with the antennae on top, or two hangars side by side with an electronics bay in the middle, reaching all the way down to the main deck?
- Choosing a massive mast for your radar array is interesting (though you might want to check the angles of your radar plates compared to the structure), but il will probably make your ship top-heavy. So far the whole stack is used only for the radar; try to figure out what else you can put there (hint: move your navigation radar up a level or two to clear FOV), and if nothing fits, cut down into your radar mast to save weight.
- You have a very slab-sided hull all the way, including around the bridge, and no apparent bridge wings or open passageways of any kind. That is probably one or two steps too far in signature reduction compared to the rest of the ship, and it would probably be better to have open bridge wings (recessed behind the bridge or overhanging, depending on the flare angle of your superstructure) for navigation and rescue purposes.

All in all, you have to start with an overall shape, but before you can consider your design complete, you have to think to an extent about what your ship requires to work. This goes from corrections to the overall shape (is your helo deck long enough? what is all this space on the foredeck used for?) to more apparently superficial details like adding davits for ship's boats, comms antennae, liferafts and anchors.

Keep up the good work, I'd like to see where this is going!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hexelarity
Post subject: Re: Type-17 Admiral Mulich Class Guided Missile FrigatePosted: April 15th, 2018, 10:06 pm
Hi Lambda, sorry for a very delayed response, but currently i have solved every issue and i will address your question regarding the helicopter hangar. The helicopter hangar was one entire hangar, with the antennae placed on top with the respective directors, i have fixed the bridge and its lack of wings, and i have shortened the mast to account for the fact that its top heavy. Regarding the mast radars, i haven't received any questions regarding its angle, and personally, i think thats the best angle i can do as of right now. Before posting my second rendition of the vessel, i will review it to spot any other structural mistakes that may affect its performance and or effectiveness. Thanks for the pointers and assistance!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs”

Jump to: