Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 5  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
whitey_nl
Post subject: Re: Independent State of NewfoundlandPosted: March 7th, 2011, 4:00 pm
Alas you may both be correct. I attempted to get dimensional info on the Meko hangars, but couldn't find any applicable to the Hydra of which this design is based on. So below I have updated the torpedo launchers and the Stir's, and have replaced the Cormorant with the more reasonably sized Eurocopter Panther. Smaller, but still a capable ASW helicopter. Might have to use an updated version of that, though have yet to locate one. Anyway, here is the further updated Cabot class:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Independent State of NewfoundlandPosted: March 7th, 2011, 4:29 pm
sorry, these STIR's zre still old.... you'll need this one
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Independent State of NewfoundlandPosted: March 7th, 2011, 5:04 pm
There are other directors out there Ace.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
whitey_nl
Post subject: Re: Independent State of NewfoundlandPosted: March 7th, 2011, 5:41 pm
There may be other directors, but hey, might as well go with what's current. Here is the re-re-updated Cabot with more modern missle directors.

[ img ]

After toying with the idea of an anti-air destroyer I made this:
[ img ]
This fanciful ship I'm calling the Vinland, and is a modified Iroquois Class destroyer used by the Canadian Navy. In 2005 the HMCS Huron was struck from the registry and sunk a few years later due to the Canadian Navy not having enough crew to man all four of their destroyers. So I figured, why sink it when you can sell it to Newfoundland? (Assuming of course that in this AU that Canada even had built these destroyers, seeing as how they would lack an Atlantic port.) However assuming they did everything as normal, I figured this would be a more prudent use of resources than having it sunk by an American-Canadian fleet as target practice. Made a few modificiations to it, including updating the main gun, the missle directors, and the torpedo launchers. Also replaced the Sea King helicopter with a Panther as with the Cabot. Finally I removed the Phalanx and increased the area of the platform for a Thales Goalkeeper. I figured the increase in above deck area, plus the decrease in space occupied by the rather Elephant like-Sea King would allow enough room for this system to replace the Phalanx.

I don't think this is final, or will even stick as it is a rather dated design, and lacks any surface-to-surface missles or short-range SAM's but I thought it would be an interesting idea to test out. Given the sheer volume of ocean surrounding the isle, it would make sense for there to be a flotilla-command ship that could serve as an area defence ship and flagship for the fleet. Suggestions regarding this or another suitable design would be welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Independent State of NewfoundlandPosted: March 7th, 2011, 5:52 pm
Thiel wrote:
yes, that's why I asked
Quote:
if those directors are STIR's, there is an newer drawing for that.
it is not up to me to search for every ship what directors are on there, but they looked like them...... and he changed them, so I suppose they were.

for the new ship: the standard missile series can not be guided by the directors you have now, currently you have an STIR 180, while you need an stir 240 or a system from another manufacturer at least..... and it seams to me there is an lw-008 on board? an newer drawing of that one is posted above.

[Profile] [Quote]
whitey_nl
Post subject: Re: Independent State of NewfoundlandPosted: March 7th, 2011, 6:02 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
Thiel wrote:
yes, that's why I asked
Quote:
if those directors are STIR's, there is an newer drawing for that.
it is not up to me to search for every ship what directors are on there, but they looked like them...... and he changed them, so I suppose they were.

for the new ship: the standard missile series can not be guided by the directors you have now, currently you have an STIR 180, while you need an stir 240 or a system from another manufacturer at least..... and it seams to me there is an lw-008 on board? an newer drawing of that one is posted above.
See I was wondering about that. According to the specs, the fire control is provdided by 2 Signaal WM-22 directors and a Mk.60 CFCS. Was not aware of a WM-22 director on some of the older parts sheets and didn't know if there were any equivelants or the like, so I just updated what I thought were the existing ones. Shall get around to the radar upgrade later, and if you could point me in the direction of the correct parts, I shall gladly name a Panther in your honour.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Independent State of NewfoundlandPosted: March 7th, 2011, 6:11 pm
the wm22? that was the 'egg' radar....

[Profile] [Quote]
mirage2000
Post subject: Re: Independent State of NewfoundlandPosted: March 7th, 2011, 6:28 pm
whitey_nl wrote:
After taking a look at one of the more developed AU maps, I noticed my home was made an "Independent State" bordering the Kingdom of Quebec. Notwithstanding the fact that Quebec has Labrador, I felt that my "nation" deserved to have a representative navy. Being an island nation, surrounded on three sides by a rather militaristic society, even our rather modest nation deserves a strong navy to protect our interests.

(In reality, in 1949 Newfoundland [and Labrador] joined Canada as a result of a massive war-debt from World Wars I and II [which Britain decided was too much for them to forgive...god save the king] rather than remain independent or enter into a trade deal with the US. I'm assuming in this AU that as a result of Quebec and the like Britain figured us remaining independent would be better than being almost fullly cut-off from the rest of Canada or being a part of the Atlantic Confederation.)

The IS of Newfoundland is a parliamentary republic (within the commonwealth, as represented by the Union flag in the canton of the ISN flag) with a population of about two million, made up of the traditional ethnic groups of the island (Irish, Scottish, English) but also Anglo-Quebecois who went east after the Kingdom was established, Cape Bretons who fled for similar reasons, and Anglo-loyalists who left the Confederation.

The IS has a liberal-statist economy based around heavy industry, manufacturing, natural resources, agriculture and the fishery. While the economy may not be as strong as it's neighbours, it provides for a good standard of living for it's people with a economy worth about $200 billion, a GDP per capita of about $60,000-$70,000 and an unemployment rate of about 8%.

The military has always commanded a fair bit of respect in NL, so a well trained and equipped Newfoundland Defence Force would be a must, with a small active force but a large reserve force. Because of it's unique position, it maintains a policy of permanent armed neutrality, but keeps close ties with Canada, the Confederacy, US, and Europe and a rather arms-length relationship with the Kingdom.

Anyway, below are the ships of the Newfoundland Maritime Defence Force, or Newfoundland Navy:
[ img ]
This is the Cabot Class guided missle frigate, the mainstay of the Newfoundland fleet. Named for the modern discoverer of the island, John Cabot, this is a Meko 200 design with a few minor changes for the climate of the North Atlantic and the defensive nature of Newfoundland's navy. Is a general purpose frigate with a strong ASW capability due to Newfoundland's location in the North Atlantic.

Specs;
Displacement: 4,000 tons full-load, Length: 117.5 m, Beam: 14.8 m, Draft: 6.0 m
Propulsion: 2 gas turbines, 2 diesel turbines; Speed: 31 knots (gas) 21 knots (diesel); Range: 8,000 km
Sensors: Signaal radars, Raytheon sonars, Nixie torpedo decoy; Complement: 173
Armaments: 76 mm Otobreda DP main gun; 16-cell Mk-48 VLS for RIM-7 Sea Sparrow or RIM-162 ESSM; 8 RGM-84 Harpoons; 2 triple torpedo launchers for Mk 46 torpedoes; 2 30mm Goalkeeper CIWS.
Aircraft Carried: 1 AgustaWestland AW101 Cormorant ASW helicopter
Ships of the class: John Cabot, Jacques Cartier, Leif Ericson, Erik Thorvaldsson

[ img ]
This is the St. John's Class patrol boat, which is the main patrol vessel of the Newfoundland fleet. Also known as the City class, four ships of the class were transferred from the Royal Navy after the Chinese regained control of Hong Kong. No real changes were made to this class, save for some cold and rough-weather improvements.

Specs;
Displacement: 712 tons full-load, Length: 62.6 m, Beam: 10 m, Draft: 2.72 m
Propulsion: 2 diesel turbines; Speed: 30 knots
Sensors: N/A; Complement: 30-40
Armaments: 76 mm Otobreda DP main gun, 2 20 mm machine guns, 2 7.62 mm machine guns
Aircraft Carried: n/a
Ships of the class: St. John's, Corner Brook, St. Anthony, Gander

[ img ]
The Avalon Class attack and patrol submarine is the backbone of Newfoundland's ASW capabilities and are locally built versions of the Type 209 diesel-electrics designed by the Germans for export. Named after peninsulas on the island, this class augments the surface capabilities of the Cabot class to protect Newfoundland waters from foreign submarines.

Specs;
Displacement: 1,454 tons submerged
Length: 62 m, Beam: 7.6 m, Draft: 5.8 m
Propulsion: 4 diesel engines; Speed: 10 knots surface, 21.5 knots submerged
Sensors: n/a; Complement: 30
Armaments: 8 21-inch torpedo tubes; Mk 48 torpedoes or UGM-84 Harpoons
Aircraft Carried: n/a
Ships of the class: Avalon, Bonavista, Humber, Burin

[ img ]
The Hibernia Class represents Newfoundland's ocean-going replenishment capability and is a locally-built version of the German Berlin Class AOR. Named for the Hibernia oil field on the Grand Banks (itself named after another name for Ireland) it gives Newfoundland it's blue-water capabilities by providing long-range replenishment and refueling.

Specs;
Displacement: 20,400 tons, Length: 173.7 m, Beam: 24 m, Draft: 7.6 m
Propulsion: 2 diesel engines; Speed: 20 knots
Sensors: n/a; Complement: 139 (+94)
Armaments: 4 27 mm autocannons
Aircraft carried: 2 x AgustaWestland AW101 Cormorant MP/ASW helicopters
Ships of the class: Hibernia

Apologies for how they are posted, am doing it from another computer so it got a little frigged in the shuffle.
You like my idea of Independant State of Newfounland. Great!...

I built a map with a united Ireland and an independent kingdom of Scotland with an English flag changed accordingly! ...

Would you be interested in what I put it online?
Bye

[Profile] [Quote]
mirage2000
Post subject: Re: Independent State of NewfoundlandPosted: March 7th, 2011, 6:29 pm
I forgot!

I like you're ships!

Bye

[Profile] [Quote]
Stormwalker
Post subject: Re: Independent State of NewfoundlandPosted: March 8th, 2011, 4:08 pm
Guys,

I have a problem. I can´t see the images ... only the picture of imageshak, informing that the domain is not registered ... how i can fix this problem

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 5  [ 42 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: