Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 7  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 14th, 2010, 5:10 pm
erik_t wrote:
I assume you're being sarcastic; I don't believe it can. I guess it's probably possible in principle, but god only knows why you'd want to.
It can, sort of...
klagldsf wrote:
Definitely improving. I'd definitely say Nulka might be your only remaining sticking point. BTW, didn't even realize Nulka could be launched from Mk 41 until this came along :p
It's an add on to the Mk-41 system:

Link to the Old Shipbucket

Link to Lockmart page detailing Mk-41 and ExLS

And here is part of my parts sheet that has it:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 14th, 2010, 5:28 pm
erik_t wrote:
I assume you're being sarcastic; I don't believe it can. I guess it's probably possible in principle, but god only knows why you'd want to.
It's actually on the parts sheet (where I assume Wikipedia and Universe got it), and as TimothyC pointed out.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 14th, 2010, 6:10 pm
In fact, looks like the first Nulka launch from Mk 41 occurred two days ago.

I guess lovely ideas like wasting a full cell on four RIM-116 is what we should expect when we have more empty cells than we know what to do with. Otherwise it's not exactly the most cost-effective approach...

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 14th, 2010, 6:31 pm
Look I'm as surprised as you on this, k? :p

...I can see some logic behind it (at least on a double-ended ship in a very high-threat environment - but then again why not load up on Standards and take them down actively?) but as I just implied, I'd rather have something a bit more offensive and mount some dedicated decoy launchers instead (it can't be that hard)

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 14th, 2010, 7:00 pm
Yes, it really only makes sense in the context of having empty VLS cells just sitting around (which, again, they are - there are well over ten thousand (!!!) Mk 41 cells afloat).

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 15th, 2010, 12:02 am
klagldsf wrote:
erik_t wrote:
It's actually on the parts sheet (where I assume Wikipedia and Universe got it), and as TimothyC pointed out.
You assume correctly. I'll have an improvement up in a bit.

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 15th, 2010, 3:42 am
Here is my improvement. I moved the Nulka to where erik_t said and moved those blasted life rafts aft away from the VLS.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 15th, 2010, 3:47 am
Uhhhhh...you really should be using a box launcher, not Mk 41 for the Nulka at this point. As to what that looks like I do not know.

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 15th, 2010, 4:19 am
klagldsf wrote:
Uhhhhh...you really should be using a box launcher, not Mk 41 for the Nulka at this point. As to what that looks like I do not know.
I see no box launcher, but I did see an above-deck launcher. Here goes.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Epicnopolis- Designs for a friend's AUPosted: August 15th, 2010, 6:01 pm
Definitely starting to come together. My only concern at this point would be that your life rafts are liable to be lost in heavy seas - I'd move them up a bit, on top of the deck instead of alongside. And I don't think you have enough - C&C is a very manpower-intensive business. I'm aim for maybe 150% as many as a Spruance.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 7  [ 61 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »

Jump to: