Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
Karle94
Post subject: Austrio-Hungarian AUPosted: January 13th, 2020, 9:05 pm
This is the current state of the Austrio-Hungarian Au. I will divide the drawings up by nation-ship type-cronological date. I have yet to fully flesh out the story.

Austrio-Hungarian Navy

Battleships:
Radetzky Class:
[ img ]

Tegetthoff Class:
10x12" Gun Version:
[ img ]

Enlarged Tegetthoff class (SMS Prinz Eugen) 12x12" Gun Version:
[ img ]

Enlarged Tegetthoff class (SMS Szent István):
[ img ]

Ersatz Monarch class Battleship:
[ img ]

Ersatz Habsburg class Battleship:
[ img ]

Ersatz Erzherzog Karl class Battleship:
[ img ]

Battlecruisers:
Ersatz Maria Theresia Battlecruiser:
[ img ]

Cruisers:
SMS Admiral Spaun light cruiser:
[ img ]

Ersatz Zenta Light Cruiser:
[ img ]

Project 7 Heavy Cruiser Ersatz Panther Class:
[ img ]

Royal Navy

Battleships:

HMS Orion as commisioned in 1912:
[ img ]

HMS Queen Elizabeth:
[ img ]

HMCS Acadia:
[ img ]

Battlecruisers:
HMS Ark Royal:
[ img ]

HMS Lion as in 1911:
[ img ]

HMS Lion as commisioned in 1912:
[ img ]

HMS Lion as she appeared in 1915:
[ img ]

HMS Lion as she appeared in 1916:
[ img ]

HMS Leopard:
[ img ]

"Super Tiger" HMS Courageous:
[ img ]

HMS Hood:
[ img ]

Kaiserliche Marine/Hochsee Flotte

Battleships:

SMS Bayern:
[ img ]

SMS Baden:
[ img ]

SMS Sachsen:
[ img ]

Battlecruisers:

United States Navy:

Battleships:
USS Mississippi:
[ img ]

USS Wyoming:
[ img ]

USS Nevada:
[ img ]

Battlecruisers:
USS Saratoga:
[ img ]

USS Constellation:
[ img ]

USS Lexington:
[ img ]

Imperial Japanese Navy

Battleships:

Battlecruisers:

Marina Nationale

Battleships:
Normandie:
[ img ]

Lyon:
[ img ]

Regia Marina

Battleships:
Conte di Cavour:
[ img ]

Francesco Caracciolo:
[ img ]

[ img ]

Imperial Russian Navy

Battleships:
Gangut:
[ img ]

Imerator Nikolai I:
[ img ]

Oryol:
[ img ]

Sinop:
[ img ]

Battlecruisers:
Izmail:
[ img ]

Ottoman Navy:

Battleships:
Reshadiye:
[ img ]

Fatih Mehmed Sultan:
[ img ]

Battlecruisers:

Armada Española

Battleships:
[ img ]

Marinha do Brasil

Battleships:
Minas Geraes:
[ img ]

Rio de Janeiro:
[ img ]

Riachuelo:
[ img ]

Armada de la República Argentina

Battleships:

Rivadavia:
[ img ]

Argentina:
[ img ]

Armada de Chile

Battleships:
Almirante Latorre:
[ img ]

Marinha Portuguesa

Battleships:

Last edited by Karle94 on March 2nd, 2021, 10:49 pm, edited 19 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: An Alternate Radetzky For AU PurposesPosted: January 15th, 2020, 9:48 pm
No development so far as to the Radetzky conundrum, but I have finished the alternate Tegetthoff class. This one is different in that it has five twin turrets, to lessen the top heaviness of the class. Most of the preliminary designs for the Tegetthoff has the guns in this arrangement. This one is quite similar to the drawing I made for my American AU, but is also quite different

The Tegetthoff in 1912:
[ img ]

Another drawing I've finished is the Ersatz Monarch class. I started on the drawing as part of the American AU, but the inital version is one of the longer designs for an all triple turret arrangement, whereas this one goes back to the orignal size, and the most recurring layout of two twin turrets, and two triple turrets. The Viribus Unitis website has SMS Graf Daun and SMS Hunyádi as the most "likely" names.

SMS Graf Daun in 1918:
[ img ]

I am currently working on the Ersatz Habsburg, the hull and the arnament of 8x38cm guns of the project 3 battleship combined with the superstructure of the project 5 battleship. These battleship designs had the same hull design as the battlecruisers, albeit shorter and wider. Coming in at 200m @ w/l these ships weighted in at 30k tons at standard displacement. The design speed is 24kts. The belt armor is 300mm thick, and the armor belt consists of two 20mm plates stacked on top of each other. The secondary battery comprises 18x5,9 inch guns and 10x90mm guns.

Ersatz Habsburg as designed in 1917:
[ img ]

Last edited by Karle94 on January 16th, 2020, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: An Alternate Radetzky For AU PurposesPosted: January 16th, 2020, 8:49 am
Looking good, I always enjoy a good Austro-Hungarian AU.
These all look quite plausible designs. I think the Radetzky looks good in that layout, makes sense from a magazine location too.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: An Alternate Radetzky For AU PurposesPosted: January 16th, 2020, 10:27 am
I've made some minor improvements to the Ersatz Monarch and finished the Ersatz Habsburg. Next up might be a battlecruiser design to go alongside the Ersatz Habsburg. What I need now is plausible names for the two ships of the Project 3/5 battleships.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: An Alternate Austrio-Hungarian NavyPosted: January 16th, 2020, 1:02 pm
Nice battleships!

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: An Alternate Austrio-Hungarian NavyPosted: January 17th, 2020, 5:00 am
Some lovely designs here. I too have been contemplating doing some Austro-Hungarian Navy AU stuff to complete my own Republic of Venice given they would be rivals.

I'd be interested in seeing en echelon arrangement for the wing turrets. Aside from re-arranging boiler rooms however I'm not sure how you'd clear the deck space to make such a thing work. German style wide spacing perhaps?

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: An Alternate Austrio-Hungarian NavyPosted: January 21st, 2020, 2:47 am
Here it is, the first class of Austrio-Hungarian battlecruiser, the Ersatz Maria Theresia and her sistership the Ersatz Kaiser Karl. With a length of 230m pp and 29m wide, the Maria was designed for a speed of 30kts. Main arnament is 8x14in guns in four twin turrets. 18x5,9in guns make up the secondary battery, with a tertiary battery of 20x90cm guns, 12 of them in casemates in the hull. The armor belt is 225mm thick, and the deck is built up of two 20mm plates stacked on top of each other.

Ersatz Maria Theresia as designed in 1916:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: An Alternate Austrio-Hungarian NavyPosted: January 21st, 2020, 9:23 am
An impressive design, perhaps too many casemates for my liking, but certainly a sleek looking battlecruiser.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: An Alternate Austrio-Hungarian NavyPosted: January 21st, 2020, 9:12 pm
A very nice looking battle-cruiser, very much like the Russian Gangut class in main armament arrangement and virtually lack of superstructure.
I think that the propellers look a bit small, but not being an engineer I speak only in aesthetic point of view.
Just a small note BTW, I believe that a ship with the prefix Ersatz means in fact replacement or instead of a previous ship of the same name.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: An Alternate Austrio-Hungarian NavyPosted: January 21st, 2020, 11:30 pm
You are correct in that ersatz means replacement. I don't have names for these ships, so I use the most likely replacement names instead. In the KuK and German navies ships were named after the ships they replaced, until given a proper name at launch.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 24 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: