Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Krakatoa
Post subject: HNLMS Celebes (BB-1938)Posted: August 25th, 2014, 10:18 pm
Ever since I saw the below photo of the Italian 15"/40cal guns for the Caraciolo, built but never mounted, I thought 'what if'..........

[ img ]

What if the Dutch bought the guns off a cash strapped Italian Govt in 1920-22 before they were scrapped. The biggest problem the Dutch always had was the production of big guns, turrets and armour plate. The Dutch are quite capable of building big ships, the Nieuw Amsterdam of the late 30's is proof of that. The other major supplier of weapons to the world are the French. If the Dutch buy the turrets and heavy armour from the French and marry that with the Italian guns, what might they have produced.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: HNLMS Celebes (BB-1938)Posted: August 25th, 2014, 11:07 pm
She looks great, but would she really still have torpedoes by her late build date and especially 1938?

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: HNLMS Celebes (BB-1938)Posted: August 25th, 2014, 11:32 pm
Thanks Shipright,

I had forgotten I had them on there, fixed.

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: HNLMS Celebes (BB-1938)Posted: August 26th, 2014, 8:46 am
Hnn... a few questions/remarks.
The props looks much too modern. Three-bladed screws would be much more period accurate. Not to mention that particular propeller part is very disliked on this board.
The funnel-mounted boat crane looks rather short, and I'm not entirely confident it'd be able to clear the side of the ship.
Otherwise, I quite like it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: HNLMS Celebes (BB-1938)Posted: August 26th, 2014, 9:14 am
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's actually a submarine propellor and one of the oldest parts around to boot. It just won't die.
Interesting design nonetheless.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: HNLMS Celebes (BB-1938)Posted: August 26th, 2014, 9:50 am
I like her. I'm guessing she'd be assigned to the NEI for defense against Japan?

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: HNLMS Celebes (BB-1938)Posted: August 26th, 2014, 11:36 am
One of the few things that makes shipbucket a pretty quick weak going, is the fact how easly someone can add his credits on the line with others. The battlecruiser was 75% done by Mitch and I finished for him, since I had some nice ideas to make it look good. A few twicks should not be worth a whole name added..

[Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: HNLMS Celebes (BB-1938)Posted: August 26th, 2014, 11:47 am
I will change the props to something more appropriate (off the Dunkerque).

The breadth of the ship is 102ft, the crane is mounted 12 feet off center and has a reach of 55 feet, so it should extend at least 15 feet outboard which should be enough.

I am happy with the way it looks too, even the big blocky funnel somehow looks 'right' on the design.

Most of the Netherlands major warships ended up in the East Indies guarding the exports that paid for the ships.

For Alvama I see I need to show the original drawing so that the 'twicks' can be seen more easily.

[ img ]

As can be seen I have changed quite a bit of the detail of the ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: HNLMS Celebes (BB-1938)Posted: August 26th, 2014, 11:57 am
Hi Krakatoa,

A nice ship, but one (very minor) nitpick - you've sliced a porthole in half just in front of the aft main battery turret.

Also, a question - she's got the paravane mounting thing on the bow, but I can't see the actual paravane. Have I missed it somewhere?

Ad

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: HNLMS Celebes (BB-1938)Posted: August 26th, 2014, 12:14 pm
ALVAMA wrote:
One of the few things that makes shipbucket a pretty quick weak going, is the fact how easly someone can add his credits on the line with others. The battlecruiser was 75% done by Mitch and I finished for him, since I had some nice ideas to make it look good. A few twicks should not be worth a whole name added..
Yes, half the superstructure is brand new, the rest have been completely rearranged, secondary armament has been completely rearranged, new propulsion setup and an overall detail pass. No work at all.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: