Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 4  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Hood
Post subject: Re: Alternate County Class Heavy CruisersPosted: July 13th, 2014, 8:53 am
An interesting design study. The 7.5in would have been fine, the 8in only came about due to the Washington Treaty and this is a nice mix of the Hawkins with the later design trends.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Alternate County Class Heavy CruisersPosted: July 14th, 2014, 8:04 pm
I have added a recast drawing with alterations to post-1

As to Novice's Effingham hull and armour (which I used for the hull of my ship) which seemed to have a problem, see here for original

http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?dir=Real Designs/Great Britain/CA D98 Effingham 1940.png

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Alternate County Class Heavy CruisersPosted: July 14th, 2014, 8:22 pm
A beautiful ship, indeed, I quite like it.
Btw, the light AA gun you've replaced the aft FC with is a fictional 37mm gun I made for an AU of mine a while back, so it wouldn't really be mounted on a British ship, considering they used the Pom-pom and later the Bofors 40mm/60 M/36 IRL. While I'm partly flattered that you've nicked one of my old guns( ;) ), I'd say it's better if you keep to real life RN equipment if you're making RN designs.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Alternate County Class Heavy CruisersPosted: July 14th, 2014, 8:29 pm
I used your 37/40mm because it looks better than the 40mm in the parts list. The overhead view especially looks like the twin 40mm from the Dutch, which they gave to the UK in 1940.

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: Alternate County Class Heavy CruisersPosted: July 17th, 2014, 3:59 am
Nice design indeed. I've always been fond of the look of the Hawkins so seeing some of that transition into a more modern armament layout its interesting.

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Alternate County Class Heavy CruisersPosted: July 17th, 2014, 6:44 pm
There's still the problem of having portholes in your armored belt.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Alternate County Class Heavy CruisersPosted: July 17th, 2014, 7:34 pm
I think they're called "speed holes", Miho.

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Alternate County Class Heavy CruisersPosted: July 17th, 2014, 8:47 pm
erik_t wrote:
I think they're called "speed holes", Miho.
For allowing shells speedy access into the innards of the ship?

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Alternate County Class Heavy CruisersPosted: July 17th, 2014, 9:20 pm
They go just above the racing stripes and "Type R" sticker, and just below the spoiler.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Alternate County Class Heavy CruisersPosted: July 23rd, 2014, 6:46 pm
A couple of photos for the boy racers Miloshik and erik_t, first from Brasseys cruisers showing the armour scheme, then a pair of photos showing Effingham from the bow with portholes - 1st is from the 1920's 2nd from after its modernisation 1938/39. I do not think Novice got it wrong.

Armour scheme:
[ img ]

Bow aspect showing portholes:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 4  [ 31 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: