Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ] 
Imperialist
Post subject: Imp's Scrapped IdeasPosted: February 4th, 2022, 3:15 am
Hi all, been a minute since I've posted but I've drawn some ships here and there during my hiatus. I will be using this thread as a place to post ideas that have now been retconned from my actual AU - which there are a few of :? - so the ideas/designs don't go to waste :)

Qing Dynasty - Dingyuan Class, ex-Oesau Class

Not too much background here, but based these off a prelim of SMS Blücher, what ended up being my interpretation of Design E16B, the last of the 21cm designs. The original idea is that GdL gets mushy with the Qing Dynasty and provides them with military aid, including older ships which are modernized to help counter Japanese aggression. I would also like to take a second and thank our member Unclesam for the nicely drawn Qing Dynasty naval flag, hope you enjoy! :D

[ img ]
[ img ]

Germany AU Thread
Luft '46 Thread

List of Aircraft with Acquired Data (Updated)
http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... 80#p123956

[Profile] [Quote]
VC_
Post subject: Re: Imp's Scrapped IdeasPosted: February 4th, 2022, 10:03 am
Nice work! An interesting take on a unique and very balanced looking ship. Are there more "uniform armament armoured cruisers" in this world? I think it's a design space worth some exploration despite being made entirely redundant by the battlecruiser.

I especially like the enclosed upper bridge and extra levels with windows. They add nice clutter in place of the spartan superstructure which is, in my opinion, a bit of an aesthetic weakness of this period of German capital ship design.

I wonder how these would fare in a fight against the Tsukuba class (assuming these still exist).

[Profile] [Quote]
bugsier_060
Post subject: Re: Imp's Scrapped IdeasPosted: February 4th, 2022, 1:33 pm
WOW! Very beautiful!

[Profile] [Quote]
Imperialist
Post subject: Re: Imp's Scrapped IdeasPosted: February 4th, 2022, 4:13 pm
VC_ wrote: *
Nice work! An interesting take on a unique and very balanced looking ship. Are there more "uniform armament armoured cruisers" in this world? I think it's a design space worth some exploration despite being made entirely redundant by the battlecruiser.

I especially like the enclosed upper bridge and extra levels with windows. They add nice clutter in place of the spartan superstructure which is, in my opinion, a bit of an aesthetic weakness of this period of German capital ship design.

I wonder how these would fare in a fight against the Tsukuba class (assuming these still exist).
Thanks VC! I had considered prolonging the lives of various ACRs in this world, but also thought about creating more "export ACRs" that would be good for overseas work. As of right now these were the only ones I've drawn, but I've been meaning to draw various ACRs for other nations', once I get the styling down ;)

Germany AU Thread
Luft '46 Thread

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Imp's Scrapped IdeasPosted: February 5th, 2022, 11:51 am
These are really nice looking ships. :)

Btw. "Oesau", "Geißhardt"?... But not Walter and Friedrich, I assume? ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Imperialist
Post subject: Re: Imp's Scrapped IdeasPosted: August 26th, 2022, 11:56 pm
Been about 6 months since I've last posted in this thread, and in this time period I've accumulated a backlog of drawings I've continued to rework/retconn. Today I'll be posting battlecruisers #4 and #5 of the Eichhorn Class: SMS Ludendorff and SMS Waldersee. The reason for such is I considered the original idea of 5 ships for a !Derfflinger class seemed a bit much and I wanted to lower the number to 3, but make an interim class/series of designs between that and the !Mackensen class I'll be drawing (soonTM). In addition, I couldn't quite nail down what I wanted in the ships at the time so each one of the five I originally drew differed somewhat in terms of their looks. I'd like to note that Ludendorff was my challenge entry for SB's WW1 Battlecruiser Challenge we had some time ago. Hope you enjoy! 8-)

SMS Ludendorff - 1927
[ img ]
SMS Waldersee - 1916
[ img ]
SMS Waldersee - 1926
[ img ]

Germany AU Thread
Luft '46 Thread

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Imp's Scrapped IdeasPosted: August 27th, 2022, 1:06 am
yaaaaaaaaaah

Its German battlecruiser time

Good stuff.

[Profile] [Quote]
Imperialist
Post subject: Re: Imp's Scrapped IdeasPosted: September 6th, 2022, 10:20 am
Some dreadnoughts of the Rheinland-class this time around, I originally thought to keep them along the lines of the IRL Deutschland-class, kept in service and refit during the time of the 2nd Great War. However, I decided that it was probably a bit much to keep an early dreadnought around in an AU where Germany has a favorable outcome in the 1st Great War, so things changed. Posted is what would have been SMS Friedrich Barbarossa had it persisted (Friedrich Wilhelm III would have been similar), but retconned them to have been Mutterschiffe fur F-Boote, and scrapped sometime in the 20's; Heinrich VI is also shown in its possible refit into a target ship.

SMS Friedrich Barbarossa - 1926
[ img ]
SMS Friedrich Barbarossa - 1932
[ img ]
SMS Friedrich Barbarossa - 1936
[ img ]
SMS Friedrich Barbarossa - 1944
[ img ]
SMS Friedrich Barbarossa - 1945
[ img ]
SMS Heinrich VI - 1943
[ img ]

Germany AU Thread
Luft '46 Thread

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Imp's Scrapped IdeasPosted: September 6th, 2022, 9:24 pm
That last one is wacky, but cool.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs”

Jump to: