Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Gunboat based on Ensdorf-Frankental Class MCMPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 6:21 pm
Backing off and assuming that's just a minesweeper-sized hull, it's probably on the outer edge of the possible. I'd drop the Goalkeeper for sure, move the NLOS VLS to where the 57mm was, and put a second Oto76 where the Goalkeeper and NLOS VLS were (or two 57mm instead).

57mm + 76mm would probably be better than two of either, but commonality is a big deal on a small ship, both for spare parts and for trained maintenance/repair personnel.

I'd strongly consider removing Harpoon in favor of something small (or just more NLOS) - what target, exactly, do you expect to kill with them? You're a nontraditional combatant in low-intensity warfare; I don't expect the OMG COMMIES ARE COMING.

For littoral ops I'd prefer a faster-to-launch RHIB, maybe two on either beam. It's a fat hull, after all - that's the only way you're fitting all this crap in the first place.

I'd probably use a smaller (S-band probably) air search radar, Sea Giraffe or similar, if indeed I fit something at all. WM20 is pretty functional. You're just too small to have a true area air surveillance set like SPS-49, and again you're not really going to be worried about air attack.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Gunboat based on Ensdorf-Frankental Class MCMPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 6:45 pm
erik_t wrote:
57mm + 76mm would probably be better than two of either, but commonality is a big deal on a small ship, both for spare parts and for trained maintenance/repair personnel.
Hmm, I'm kinda surprised. I'd always thought that if you had one, that's all you need - one, since both guns have a very fast rate of fire. And unless you really do expect to go up against big ships, one will do as well as the other.

Actually, personally I'd rather see a Millennium Gun right where the 57 is, just because I have doubts about where that 57 is and I know the Millennium Gun has minimal deck penetration.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Gunboat based on Ensdorf-Frankental Class MCMPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 8:14 pm
One is certainly more than enough for most tasks, sure. In the context of vosseij's "how much can I pack on" comment, though...

And honestly, if junkbusting is ALL YOU DO, all-around coverage and redundancy are nice things.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Gunboat based on Ensdorf-Frankental Class MCMPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 8:20 pm
IIRC the 57 has a minimum of 1.8...

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Gunboat based on Ensdorf-Frankental Class MCMPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 8:35 pm
Blackbuck wrote:
IIRC the 57 has a minimum of 1.8...
1.8 of...?

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Gunboat based on Ensdorf-Frankental Class MCMPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 8:37 pm
metres of hull penetration.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Vossiej
Post subject: Re: Gunboat based on Ensdorf-Frankental Class MCMPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 8:45 pm
The Harpoons are there to assault the larger surface ships, threat's comming from China or Iran are still best dealth with Harpoon ;)
I'll see into erik_t's set-up later, thanks for the advice!

Last edited by Vossiej on August 22nd, 2010, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: