Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 6  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: 98m Basic designPosted: September 5th, 2010, 11:25 pm
It's funny to see just how differently people see the same hull.
The moment I saw that long free deck and especially the towing gear, my brain just screamed OPV.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: 98m Basic designPosted: September 6th, 2010, 10:45 am
Wow there's a lot of artefacts left in there. Moving stuff around the template is like something attracting dust :\

[Profile] [Quote]
TurretHead
Post subject: Re: 98m Basic designPosted: September 6th, 2010, 11:15 am
Thiel wrote:
It's funny to see just how differently people see the same hull.
The moment I saw that long free deck and especially the towing gear, my brain just screamed OPV.
I saw: Gunboat!
[ img ]

Still a WIP and also using my original unfinished drawing of the Vosper 98m light frigate as a base.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: 98m Basic designPosted: September 6th, 2010, 11:35 am
TurretHead
I don't believe there is enough hull-depth aft for that gun of yours. Also your radar mast seems to have too much for a ship of this size and function.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: 98m Basic designPosted: September 6th, 2010, 12:06 pm
I concur. Personally I'd go for a 76 in the A position, a 40mm twin or missile CIWS in the B position and either another twin forty or smaller calibre (20mm etc) aft of the funnel.

[Profile] [Quote]
TurretHead
Post subject: Re: 98m Basic designPosted: September 6th, 2010, 12:49 pm
Novice wrote:
I don't believe there is enough hull-depth aft for that gun of yours. Also your radar mast seems to have too much for a ship of this size and function.
If you look at the design of most modern naval guns they only require a single deck level under the turret. In this space is a carousel in which shells are loaded. The bulk of rounds are stored elsewhere and carried by hand to this carousel. There is a deck level aft in this design. The original design it is based on (Vosper Mk 18) has a very bulky towed sonar array in this position. So there is plenty of room at the rear.

The radar mast is from the original Anzac class radar upgrade drawing. It is designed to be lightweight and cheap. Their webpage says this technology is scaleable from "corvette to cruiser". This boat is a 2000 ton “light frigate” and not just a little patrol boat. My version is designed to be a littoral gunboat capable of defending itself, maritime interdiction against coastal traffic and naval gunfire support.

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: 98m Basic designPosted: September 6th, 2010, 1:20 pm
My humble and rather pathetic contribution to this :geek:

[ img ]

Finished in standard ISE naval colours, Battleship & Ash Grey.
Armament is as follows; 1x 57mm Bofors Mk2, 1x SVTT bank either side of the main superstructure, 1x sextuple Mistral launcher (as fitted to Rauma type missile boats) 6x Penguin AShMs, 4x M2 12.7mm HMGs, 1 or 2 Rheinmetall RH-202s in pedestal mounts aft of the mast and finally a bank of depth charges on the stern (probably will and or would be discarded but we'll see).

Sensors are much the same as my Corvette in the Atlantia AU thread, EO gunlayer for the 57mm, EO for passive search and adverse weather. Air and surface search radar as the Corvette too.

[Profile] [Quote]
Canadai
Post subject: Re: 98m Basic designPosted: September 6th, 2010, 4:16 pm
Actually looks really good.

[Profile] [Quote]
TurretHead
Post subject: Re: 98m Basic designPosted: September 6th, 2010, 11:54 pm
I think its good too. I like the idea of having the main gun on the forward deck.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: 98m Basic designPosted: September 7th, 2010, 4:27 am
TurretHead wrote:
Novice wrote:
If you look at the design of most modern naval guns they only require a single deck level under the turret. In this space is a carousel in which shells are loaded. The bulk of rounds are stored elsewhere and carried by hand to this carousel. There is a deck level aft in this design. The original design it is based on (Vosper Mk 18) has a very bulky towed sonar array in this position. So there is plenty of room at the rear.

The radar mast is from the original Anzac class radar upgrade drawing. It is designed to be lightweight and cheap. Their webpage says this technology is scaleable from "corvette to cruiser". This boat is a 2000 ton “light frigate” and not just a little patrol boat. My version is designed to be a littoral gunboat capable of defending itself, maritime interdiction against coastal traffic and naval gunfire support.
I struggle mightily to think of what a double-ended gunboat could do that a single-ended one could not. Particularly since a single LGB would be the end of this critter.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 6  [ 57 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: