Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Dilandu
Post subject: "Paraguari"-class ironclad gunboatPosted: October 23rd, 2011, 11:22 am
Creating the Navy began in the republic of Paraguay soon after winning the "Triple Alliance War" 1864-1865. The coming to power in the party Urugave Blanco allowed the dictator of Paraguay - Francesco Solano Lopez - to get out to the Atlantic Ocean.
Attachment:
Paraguari.png
Until the 1870s, the basis of the Paraguayan fleet were two monitors - "Nemesis" and "Belona". Only in 1872, Paraguay and Uruguay signed an agreement establishing the "Naval Fleet Defense." One of the points of the agreement was co-funded construction of several sea-going units.

Three armored gunboats "Paraguarí 'class were built between 1872 and 1878. The first two were built in France, the third - in Paraguay (with the supply of French machinery, armor and weapons). The planned construction of fouth battleship were refused for economic reasons, but also because of the obsolescence of the project.

Battleships class "Paraguarí" were small 2,500-ton battleships length of about 75 meters. Thick armor belt 102-152 mm stretched on WATER-line. Artillery - four 240-mm guns - situated at the corners of the central casemate. Speed ​​ships was about 13 knots.

"Paraguarí" was the only one of three ships, who serve until the 20th century. Two others were sunk during the war with the Confederation of Peru and Bolivia in 1885. The same type of "Constitucion" was sunk by two 280-millimeter hits with Peruvian battleship shells during the battle at the mouth of La Plata, May 12, 1885. His sistership "Presidente", damaged in that battle, was sunk May 18, 1885 by the night attack of spear torpedo boats.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: "Paraguari"-class ironclad gunboatPosted: October 23rd, 2011, 3:50 pm
This is an example of a proper Shipbucket-style ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: "Paraguari"-class ironclad gunboatPosted: October 23rd, 2011, 3:59 pm
klagldsf wrote:
This is an example of a proper Shipbucket-style ship.
are you refering to the above one really?
because... well....
[ img ]
there is a lot more possible, especially with the rigging.

or did I misunderstood you?

[Profile] [Quote]
Dilandu
Post subject: Re: "Paraguari"-class ironclad gunboatPosted: October 23rd, 2011, 4:01 pm
And what do you want to show by this demonstration?

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: "Paraguari"-class ironclad gunboatPosted: October 23rd, 2011, 4:05 pm
A passing fair example of a broadside ironclad, actually.
I like her.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: "Paraguari"-class ironclad gunboatPosted: October 23rd, 2011, 4:11 pm
the design looks fine to me, don't get me wrong, but the rigging looks like an mass of randomly placed wires and spars to me.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: "Paraguari"-class ironclad gunboatPosted: October 23rd, 2011, 4:18 pm
Actually ace, the rigging ain't that random. Yes, there are a few ratlines that look misplaced - easy fix, there are others missing; also an easy fix, but overall a very fine, albeit colorful ironclad. To sum it up: a few more detailing, a careful check-through on the workability of your rigging, and you're there!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: "Paraguari"-class ironclad gunboatPosted: October 23rd, 2011, 4:33 pm
I didn't say it was entirely random, only that it looked like it bezo. I found exactly 9 lines that are in correct spots, 7 that need to be moved a bit and then are correct. that leaves about 20 lines completely wrong..... but the most important part, the spars are incorrect. most of them seem incorrectly placed or missized. I can live with an bare rigging, but not with an incorrect one. riggings are extremely complicated, so this is not an grave mistake for me, but Dilandu, I'd like to ask you to read a bit how riggings are constructed, if it interests you to draw ships like these. for the Irene I had the rigging plans, which was kinda cheating, but looking at those is really an must to understand how it all works.

of course you have not to go as far as I did on the irene. as I said, I was a bit cheating on that one ;)
I would love to see an rigging that works though, similar to the ones redhorse uses, for example this one
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq11 ... eche1A.png

drawing ships with sails in sb is always the question what to leave out.... redhorse decided to leave 80% of the total rigging out, I decided on the irene to leave 90% of the running rigging and 10% of the standing rigging out. you may choose whatever you want, I only ask from you if you please would try to make it work.... and I would be overly happy :D ;)

Last edited by acelanceloet on October 23rd, 2011, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: "Paraguari"-class ironclad gunboatPosted: October 23rd, 2011, 4:43 pm
Also it wasn't uncommon for a ship like this to have incomplete or mostly "for show" rigging.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: "Paraguari"-class ironclad gunboatPosted: October 23rd, 2011, 4:46 pm
klagldsf wrote:
Also it wasn't uncommon for a ship like this to have incomplete or mostly "for show" rigging.
I was not aware of that.... you have more intel on that?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: