Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Kilomuse
Post subject: AU Nettuno class large torpedo boatPosted: February 24th, 2012, 9:45 pm
After fiddling around with the FD Scale vehicles, I mustered the courage to try a ship. At this point I only have a vague idea of a possible AU scenario, so I apologize if specifics are lacking. I wanted to start small, so this is my idea of an early '40s large torpedo boat built in a soon to be named AU country with Italian help.

[ img ]

Armament is six torpedo tubes and two 4-inch guns, plus four 20-mm cannon and four 8-mm MGs for AA duty. I meant to draw it as a purely coastal boat, and keep it as simple and as cheap as possible so that it would be affordable for a smaller, poorer nation.

Last edited by Kilomuse on February 26th, 2012, 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: AU Nettuno class large torpedo boatPosted: February 24th, 2012, 10:57 pm
She looks good to me mate.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: AU Nettuno class large torpedo boatPosted: February 25th, 2012, 2:15 am
Very smart looking boat!

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: AU Nettuno class large torpedo boatPosted: February 25th, 2012, 10:22 am
Looks excellent to me too.
Vaguely has an Italian look about her, Spicia-ish. I like the layout and nothing looks odd or out of place. Shading seems good and I can see no obvious SB style errors. I hope we'll see more of this AU as on the basis of this it promises to look pretty good.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: AU Nettuno class large torpedo boatPosted: February 25th, 2012, 5:22 pm
Looks good also to me, my only remark is the anchor's placement: seem too close to the bows to me.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Kilomuse
Post subject: Re: AU Nettuno class large torpedo boatPosted: February 26th, 2012, 1:16 am
Thanks for the comments guys. I revised the anchor position and cleaned up some pixel errors.

[Profile] [Quote]
Kilomuse
Post subject: Re: AU Nettuno class large torpedo boatPosted: March 7th, 2012, 1:47 am
I didn't think this merited opening it's own thread, so I'll post it here instead. I sketched out a BB design during breakfast this morning and I did a quick and dirty layout on paint to see if it was practicable. I envisioned as having 8 x 14-inch guns and decent protection. Now that I've taken a few good looks at it, it looks to my untrained eye a bit small, more of a battlecruiser than a battleship. I'd appreciate any criticism, corrections, hints, etc.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: AU Nettuno class large torpedo boatPosted: March 7th, 2012, 4:23 am
First thing you might want to do is expand the engineering spaces (the light green polygon) forwards as the boilers are there you got get an extra 10-15 meter forwards, this will give you a much better turn of speed

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: AU Nettuno class large torpedo boatPosted: March 7th, 2012, 4:36 am
Traditionally, the machinery spaces very nearly filled the entire space between forward and aft magazines (alternately, the machinery space sized the length of the midships section and superstructure). All of it should be below the armor deck, which should not be above or below the top of the belt (and should itself line up with a deck level in the hull proper).

Magazines go as low in the hull as possible, so as to avoid potential damage and kabloom.

[Profile] [Quote]
Kilomuse
Post subject: Re: AU Nettuno class large torpedo boatPosted: March 7th, 2012, 7:45 am
Rodondo, Erik, thanks for the help. I've been browsing the cutaways thread to get a sense of the internal layouts and overall plan of the ships and I've got plenty of re-thinking to do.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: