Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: My first attempt is readyPosted: October 25th, 2010, 4:09 am
Hmm....Both of your vessels seem to be using an older, incremental armor scheme that was largely abandoned by WWII. While a *small* case might be argued for it on the battleship, you could likely stand to lose the bow and stern belts on the cruiser, in my humble opinion. I really like the cruiser design, though as pointed out, it could use a tad more length. Keep them coming!

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: My first attempt is readyPosted: December 6th, 2010, 11:53 am
moxica wrote:
Ok now I have worked on this some more and even given it a better suited name so from now on its the Prodigious class battleship
Well, that's what a battleship could have looked like. The secondaries are definitely not too much. The 8 5,25"-turrets are very usual. I'd like to see them superfiring like on KGV. It's the light aa that seems to be much. But have look at late large warships. They were covered with aa. So it's ok.

[Profile] [Quote]
moxica
Post subject: Re: My first attempt is readyPosted: December 11th, 2010, 10:16 pm
I am thinking about what my ship would have looked like if she went thrue a modernization in the early 60´s but I fail on knowing what weapons and radars that was used by Royal navy at that time, can anyone help me?

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: My first attempt is readyPosted: December 11th, 2010, 11:26 pm
Look on Hoods excellent RN parts sheets.I would go for 4.5" MK 6 or 3"/70 secondaries,Sea Cats with MRS3 directors.Keep forward guns,Maybe Sea Slug with type 901 radar instead of rear guns.Maybe a lattice mast with type 965 and 277 radars.Just suggestions.Look forward to see what you come up with.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=65&start=0

[Profile] [Quote]
moxica
Post subject: Re: My first attempt is readyPosted: December 11th, 2010, 11:37 pm
Thanks Bombhead, I will base the modernization arround that setup but for those secondaries do you have any idea what directors that was used?

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: My first attempt is readyPosted: December 11th, 2010, 11:44 pm
I would say MRS3s,but Novice would know for sure.I think 40mm staags would look more updated too 8-)If you get grief with the lattice masts PM me and I'll send you some you can used/adapt.

[Profile] [Quote]
moxica
Post subject: Re: My first attempt is readyPosted: December 16th, 2010, 1:30 am
This is how far I have come so far on the update of the Prodigious
Any suggestions on how to take it further?

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: My first attempt is readyPosted: December 16th, 2010, 8:25 am
yes were those missile not reloaded from the horizon-line --------- not lik .
You have done now. Also I suggest to place a another FCR at the back, since you have two missile systems IMO.

[Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: My first attempt is readyPosted: December 16th, 2010, 10:37 pm
ALVAMA wrote:
yes were those missile not reloaded from the horizon-line ---------
Alex is right, but there were plans for vertical loading which, because of the missile bulk (weight and size), were not implemented.
Also the after-most guns are too close to the missle launcher.
The deck houses in front of the launchers are too short, and because of the horizontal loading you don't have much room for missiles. Upper launcher will have about two reloads only (for each side, that meand 4 missiles), and lower three or four only (for each side again which means between 6 to 8 missiles). I know it sounds a very low number, but you must remember that before loading into the launcher, the missile had to be checked and finned (the wings of the missiles were stored seperately to conserve space), and this was done in a space before the launcher.
Also consider the weight of the launcher which was very heavy, very heavy in fact (much like the twin 4.5" Mk. 6 gun mounting), and this will compromise the ship's stability, as it is quite high (especially the second launcher) and to that add the weight of the Type 901 radar FCR.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 29 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: