Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: SSC designPosted: August 21st, 2012, 10:07 am
[ img ]

A class of sub that has largely disappeared, (the N. Korean Sang-O probably being closest) I decided to try my hand at a modern day version, designed for small navies that would have a difficult time affording, or operating modern SSKs. I tried to shrink wrap the design as much as possible, and keep the tech as relatively low as I could, to reduce cost and maintenance, so I chose an older design, the German Type 206, as my basis, with its eight torpedo tubes. As envisioned, no reloads will be carried, but 8 x Mk 48s or Sub-Harpoons should be enough to ruin anyone's day. Some potential customers might be Georgia, the Baltics, African, Middle Eastern, or South American nations. Some countries that already operate SSKs, but would like to field greater numbers, might be potential customers as well.

You could likely fit some mine racks externally,too...

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: SSC designPosted: August 21st, 2012, 3:56 pm
I'm not sure if those "small navies" will get the good stuff for their price (I'm afraid that the cost of operating will be slightly lower than "normal sized" submarine, while the operational capabilities much lower - like related to possibilities of sound reduction), but perhaps I'm wrong, and the drawing itself looks nice. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: SSC designPosted: August 21st, 2012, 4:39 pm
My idea were these boats would be pretty bargain basement, while still offering more than a Sang-O, or Ghadir type, about the cheapest you could really get something that's both effective, and likely to bring its crew back alive. These are modern boats, but use as much old and simple design as possible with a modicum of modernity, such as the shrouded props. The cost compared to a modern SSK should be small, and the operating and maintenance cost compared to a secondhand SSK should be better as well. Other than that, they are somewhat smaller than even small SSKs, so should be harder to detect in littoral waters.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
travestytrav25
Post subject: Re: SSC designPosted: August 21st, 2012, 4:51 pm
I somewhat agree with you Eswube. I think the cost of operating these wouldn't be that much lower than say a Type 209 or Scorpene, but their strength would be in operating in extremely tight coastal areas, which is obviously why they're designated SSCs. That advantage may justify their decreased capabilities versus operating cost for some navies.

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: SSC designPosted: August 21st, 2012, 5:36 pm
As some of you know, Van and I converse a lot, and come up with radically different ideas for the same mission. Well, this time is no different, but compaired to his cheap, easys and expendable version, I came up with a low cost, easy, and survivable SSC/K (SSC/SSK). Here you have all the modern equipment and weapons to make sure your submarine gets in, wreaks havoc, and gets out to do it again.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: SSC designPosted: August 21st, 2012, 5:50 pm
Your design is the high end one, but at that size, it's a full grown SSK, and the cost is going to rival a Type 212-214, reducing the number you can afford. The fancy, high tech gear is also going to strain some developing navies ability to upkeep, while my design uses as much commercial, off-the-shelf materials as I was able to do.

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: SSC designPosted: August 21st, 2012, 6:06 pm
It is actually smaller than most SSKs if not all of them, and the tech is not the "High-end" kind, but affordable enough to make sure that if you have a decently trained crew, they are all coming back.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: SSC designPosted: August 21st, 2012, 6:17 pm
[ img ]

Back, with some modifications, namely, I slightly altered the fins so the sub can rest on the seabed if needed, without messing anything up too badly. This thing is, what we on Tanknet call, a "monkey model" sub--anything cheaper *would* be a floating coffin. This design isn't bad. It is based somewhat off the Type 206, which was an excellent boat, designed especially for the shallow Baltic--I think the last were supposed to have been retired in 2010. I seem to have twice the number of tubes you have, and they are already loaded and ready, meaning I can fire, and leave, without sticking around to reload. Your design looks to be built for more speed, though with more speed, comes with more problems, such as easier detection, and in tight, shallow waters, more chance of running aground.

[Profile] [Quote]
seeker36340
Post subject: Re: SSC designPosted: August 21st, 2012, 6:32 pm
One major expense here would be the Harpoon although good to have in this day and age...what sort of torpedoes and sensors do you plan to equip them with?

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: SSC designPosted: August 21st, 2012, 7:37 pm
seeker36340 wrote:
One major expense here would be the Harpoon although good to have in this day and age...what sort of torpedoes and sensors do you plan to equip them with?
That's only if the torpedoes are strait runners. The Mk 48 costs over twice what a Harpoon would cost.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: